Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,160,760 times

Advertisements

Yea, those look rather short, similar to NYC's. Well this is short and easy to merge into:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Brook...40.62,,0,13.74

Little or no acceleration needed. Even when better flowing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I disagree. As long as you get up to the speed everyone else on the freeway is driving, it's much easier to merge onto the freeway in light traffic versus heavier traffic between the ******* driving 35 MPH on the expressway in the on-ramp in front of you and the other ******* hogging the merging lane on the freeway.
The speed limit of the highway I linked to is 45 mph, 35 mph is a reasonable onramp speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 09:26 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,688,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yea, those look rather short, similar to NYC's. Well this is short and easy to merge into:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Brook...40.62,,0,13.74

Little or no acceleration needed. Even when better flowing:

The speed limit of the highway I linked to is 45 mph, 35 mph is a reasonable onramp speed.
Here's the thing though, while you're forced to follow behind someone cruising 35 MPH onto the expressway, the going speed in the actual merging lane is probably more like 55 MPH to 70 MPH. This is when the traffic of course is not necessarily stop and go like in your link above, but simply high volume at normal speeds.

As a result, you run the risk of one of those drivers hogging the merging lane either slamming into the back of you or blindsiding you.

In driving school, when entering the freeway, you're taught to at least match the speed of the traffic on the highway in the on ramp before entering the freeway.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:35 AM

14,635 posts, read 14,502,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Traffic is always this bad even with a variety of bus routes including NJ Transit, Port Authority, and MTA buses within Manhattan, NJ Transit Trains arriving at New York Penn Station as well as the LIRR (Long Island Railroad), PATH trains (Port Authority Trans Hudson) going from parts of NJ to parts of Manhattan, and plenty of ferries from NJ to Manhattan as well as the Staten Island Ferry to Manhattan. Even with all these mass transit options, traffic is still brutal almost all the time in and around the city, including CT and Long Island as well as NJ.

Think I'm over it? haha!
So I have to ask...why not take the rain?

Old 06-17-2013, 11:49 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,757,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Every try driving through Manhattan? It's always bad, but at rush hour, it's even worse. One time, I spent an hour on the same block.
This happened to me. I used to tour around the country singing and I remember once we were trying to go from the Met to Battery Park where I was staying in the tour bus, and it took us two hours..should have just gotten out and taken the train.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:09 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,424,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
L.A. atleast has many alternate freeway routes. The examples of Salt Lake and Seattle, not so much.
They're also congested though.

Driving between San Diego and the northern edge of LA can be pretty bad. I used to drive between the Bay Area and San Diego often and couldn't stand all the traffic in LA during the day so I made sure to drive through there late at night whenever I did that trip.

I remember driving to Disneyland from San Diego one 4th of July weekend for the day and seeing traffic in the Southbound direction stretch all the way from the 5/805 interchange in San Diego all the way to Disneyland, which is around 85 miles. I'm not sure how far beyond Disneyland the traffic continued.

Sometimes a 2 hour drive between LA and SD can take 4-6 hours. LA is just a mess to drive through much of the time, I can't stand going through there on long drives.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,882,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
So I have to ask...why not take the rain?
I commute to Staten Island a few times a week, and there aren't any trains to Staten Island from NJ (or anywhere else). The only way to get to SI from NJ is driving, 3 bridges. I could take the train to Manhattan, take a subway to South Ferry, then take the Staten Island Ferry to SI, then take the bus to my destination but that makes absolutely no sense, wastes time, and I'm going way out of my way. Ask everyone else why they don't take mass transit, it does make me wonder sometimes!

Old 06-17-2013, 01:24 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,882,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This happened to me. I used to tour around the country singing and I remember once we were trying to go from the Met to Battery Park where I was staying in the tour bus, and it took us two hours..should have just gotten out and taken the train.
Yes, that was the worst I'd ever seen it. I almost never drive through the city, because with so many mass transit options you don't have to, but every once in a while I will. That was by far my worst experience, though.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:28 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,686,087 times
I76 (the Schuykill expressway) from KOP to the Walt Whitman Bridge is pretty nasty. A road built in the 40s and 50s just is a seemingly continuous bottleneck

Schuylkill Expressway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Its narrow lane and left shoulder configuration, left lane entrances and exits (nicknamed "merge or die"), common construction activity and generally congested conditions have led to many accidents, critical injuries and fatalities, leading to the highway's humorous nickname of the "Surekill Expressway" or in further embellishment, "Surekill Distressway".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.