Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Western states more "transplant-friendly" than the Southern states?
Yes 95 61.69%
No 59 38.31%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times

Advertisements

What is the "cultural South"? That sounds kind of prejudicial by itself. Like as opposed to what? The "uncultured South"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:25 PM

122 posts, read 181,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Are Western states such as AZ, CA, CO, NV, OR, WA, et al. more "transplant-friendly" than Southern states such as FL, GA, NC, SC, TN, TX, et al.?

IMO, the South seems less welcoming of outsiders and, in turn, less "transplant-friendly" than the West. I can't tell you how many stories I've either heard or read about in which folks from the Northeast, Midwest, or West Coast move to the South and have a difficult time adjusting to the culture and/or fitting in with their new peers.

Also, I've yet to hear the term "Yankee" being thrown around in a derogatory manner in the West like I did when I was in FL. Nothing ticks me off more than that. Believe it or not, in FL, I would hear things like, "Oh, he's a pain in the *** because he's a Yankee," or, "She's hard to live with because she's a Yankee." The funny thing is that almost everyone in FL younger than 30 years old, whether they were born there or not, has parents who are from up North. Therefore, these folks are hardly qualified to throw around insults like that. I could understand if a fourth-generation Georgian or Alabamian said something like that, but not a first generation South Floridian. LOL.

FL has the highest concentration of non-natives of any Southern state. If you hear things like that in FL, then I'm assuming you're going to hear them much more often in the other Southern states.

I've never heard nor experienced anything like that in AZ.

I'm originally from New England. However, I don't really fit the mold of your average New Englander: Republican, fiscally/socially conservative, pro-2A, guns, country music, lifted pickup truck, and so forth. You get the picture. LOL.

That being said, for some reason or another, I just seem to click more easily with people from out West vs. people from down South. I can't seem to put my finger on the reason why either, to be honest. It just seems as though I'm initially more compatible with people from the West vs. people from the South right from the get-go. Again, I'm originally from the Northeast. Do any other Northeastern or Midwestern transplants share this sentiment?I'd really like to hear your stories, especially if you transplanted to the South first and then moved out West.

While this may be true for many down here, I wouldnt go so far as to say its true for most. Esp. in the african american communities. Your more than likely going to find their families originating from either the islands or the upper and deep south. i was born and raised in Delray Beach and im 26. But my family is from the Bahamas, Nashville, Tn and Hopkinsville, Ky. Many of my friends have family from georgia and louisiana too. But again im african american and alot of my friends are as well so that may have alot to do with it.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:53 PM

591 posts, read 821,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What is the "cultural South"? That sounds kind of prejudicial by itself. Like as opposed to what? The "uncultured South"?
Please don't jump to conclusions so quickly, and please don't twist my words.

The "cultural South" is the term I use to describe the area that is "culturally Southern." Maryland, Delaware, northern Virginia, southern and central Florida, southern Louisiana, southern and central Texas, etc. are geographically "Southern" and part of the U.S. Census Bureau's definition of the "South," but those areas are not characterized by and/or representative of "traditional Southern culture" in the same respect as most of Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, and so forth. You get the picture.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Please don't jump to conclusions so quickly, and please don't twist my words.

The "cultural South" is the term I use to describe the area that is "culturally Southern." Maryland, Delaware, northern Virginia, southern and central Florida, southern Louisiana, southern and central Texas, etc. are geographically "Southern" and part of the U.S. Census Bureau's definition of the "South," but those areas are not characterized by and/or representative of "traditional Southern culture" in the same respect as most of Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, and so forth. You get the picture.
Actually, I don't.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:15 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,440,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Californians are mostly more liberal than people from the south so if you come across has a conservative than yes people may make fun of you.

What vibes where you giving of to them for them to think about that of you?
I see Californians on CD make fun of the South and throw all kinds of negative remarks about it around all the time. It doesn't take a conservative person to provoke them they just seem to look down on the South in general and enjoy ridiculing it. People in the North can be that way as well but they seem to not be nearly as bad about it as Californians. I guess East Coasters aren't as ignorant about the South as people out West and many of the remarks I hear from Californians show a lot of ignorance. Even New Yorkers with their arrogance are not as tough on the South as Californians.

Even some of the African Americans out there seem to be down with the South bashing but not nearly as much because so many blacks in Cali are originally from the South and have lots of family down South.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I see Californians on CD make fun of the South and throw all kinds of negative remarks about it around all the time. It doesn't take a conservative person to provoke them they just seem to look down on the South in general and enjoy ridiculing it. People in the North can be that way as well but they seem to not be nearly as bad about it as Californians. I guess East Coasters aren't as ignorant about the South as people out West and many of the remarks I hear from Californians show a lot of ignorance. Even New Yorkers with their arrogance are not as tough on the South as Californians.

Even some of the African Americans out there seem to be down with the South bashing but not nearly as much because so many blacks in Cali are originally from the South and have lots of family down South.
My roommate has lived the majority of his life out West in Arizona, California, and Washington. He has a very low opinion of people from the East Coast, including people from the Northeast and the South, even though he's only ever been east of the Mississippi River once in his life on a trip to Orlando.

As if people from California are anything to write home about... LOL!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:01 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,639 times
Well it is true that a lot of the Yankees are a pain. They move down to Florida then whine about the way things are here.

And do you have proof that "almost all" Floridians under 30 have parents from up north? I'm a fourth generation Floridian myself.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Well it is true that a lot of the Yankees are a pain. They move down to Florida then whine about the way things are here.

And do you have proof that "almost all" Floridians under 30 have parents from up north? I'm a fourth generation Floridian myself.
You're the exception, my friend, not the rule.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:06 PM

I've lived in Northern CA most of my life and don't remember hearing negative stuff about southerners. I've been thinking about this and if it's a Southern CA thing, I have a theory.

During the dustbowl during the depression, lots of folks moved to southern CA from places like Oklahoma looking for work in the orchards, mainly. Not sure if the attitude is an old anti-Okie thing, but it's a thought.

The huge influx of dustbowl "immigrants" wreaked havock on labor and jobs for southern Californians. Anyway, that's all I can think of.

Edit: Just found this online:

"The migrants represented in Voices from the Dust Bowl came primarily from Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, and Missouri. Most were of Anglo-American descent with family and cultural roots in the poor rural South."

So, they weren't just from Oklahoma, they were also from southern states. This is an interesting topic.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
"The migrants represented in Voices from the Dust Bowl came primarily from Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, and Missouri. Most were of Anglo-American descent with family and cultural roots in the poor rural South."

Is the reason why places like Orange County, San Diego, the Inland Empire, and Bakersfield are relatively conservative and, to a lesser degree now that years ago, Republican strongholds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.