Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:59 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
If you think HI has the beach beaches, you should get out more. I'm personally a big fan of NY's beaches.
Seems to be a lot of irony in this statement. I've been out quite a bit and seen beaches in every state on the East Coast (except GA) and West Coast, just haven't made it to the Gulf beaches outside of Florida. I've also been to the Big Island and Maui, Hawaii has the best by far. It's just no contest.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-24-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Seems to be a lot of irony in this statement. I've been out quite a bit and seen beaches in every state on the East Coast (except GA) and West Coast, just haven't made it to the Gulf beaches outside of Florida. I've also been to the Big Island and Maui, Hawaii has the best by far. It's just no contest.
Sometimes it's worth it to remember certain screen-names where it's better to skip than to take the time, no matter how brief, to answer them.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
If you think HI has the beach beaches, you should get out more. I'm personally a big fan of NY's beaches.
Sure, cold and brown waters with dirty sand, highrise condos lining the shore, bad weather and annoying partiers sure do beat the tropical climate, year-round warm, clear waters and beautiful sands of coconut-palm-lined beaches in Hawaii with gorgeous mountains.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:23 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Sure, cold and brown waters with dirty sand, highrise condos lining the shore, bad weather and annoying partiers sure do beat the tropical climate, year-round warm, clear waters and beautiful sands of coconut-palm-lined beaches in Hawaii with gorgeous mountains.
In all fairness, there are beautiful, clean, white sand beaches with nice water temps in the summer on Long Island. They don't compare to Hawaii of course, but a quick google search of the Hamptons, Fire Island, and Montauk would show they are nothing like you describe.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:39 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Ah, yes, those beaches are OK. I guess I was thinking of the more "party" beaches on Some parts of Long Island and by New Jersey.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:45 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,758 times
Quote:
Are you talking about NY beaches or NYC beaches? The majority of NY beaches are on Long Island and they are NOT lined with high rise condos, and the water is not brown but green.

I was kinda surprised to see Long Beach make the list but not East Hampton. The Hampton beaches are the best in NY by far altough the residents are probably the most pretentious and annoying people on all of Long Island.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:24 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Hmm, nothing around here IMO beats Cape May's history and Victorian charm, its quaint downtown, and quiet, slow pace. It's not just about the actual beach. Cape May has a promenade, a small beachside boardwalk with small stores, restaurants, a couple little arcades, and things like that in clusters. Most of the promenade is for walking or biking, it's nothing like a typical NJ boardwalk - loud with amusements and huge arcades, typical boardwalk food, etc. I haven't been to Long Beach, and I'm sure it's nice (I've heard it's one of LI's best) but it's hard to find a beach town anywhere in the nation quite like Cape May.
I actually prefer Stone Harbor, just up the coast from Cape May. It's got all the positive qualities of Cape May (maybe minus all the wonderful architecture), but it's even less crowded. Somehow it has struck the precisely perfect balance between size and still having everything you could possibly need within walking distance. It is the Jersey shore's best kept secret, IMO.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Ah, yes, those beaches are OK. I guess I was thinking of the more "party" beaches on Some parts of Long Island and by New Jersey.
Not all of NJ is like that, either. Actually, most of it isn't. Google Island Beach State Park, Long Beach Island, Cape May, Wildwood beaches, and Sandy Hook just to name a few.

Jersey Shore forever ruined our reputation (if it wasn't already ruined before that), God help us. New Yorkers (Snooki, Jwoww, and crew), thanks… Should've stayed in their own state and partied it up on Staten Island or something instead of ruining NJ's outlook and making a joke of us for an entire generation.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
I actually prefer Stone Harbor, just up the coast from Cape May. It's got all the positive qualities of Cape May (maybe minus all the wonderful architecture), but it's even less crowded. Somehow it has struck the precisely perfect balance between size and still having everything you could possibly need within walking distance. It is the Jersey shore's best kept secret, IMO.
I agree. I prefer Cape May because of the overall feeling but I do love Stone Harbor, you're right. NJ has great beach towns and a great beach culture. It's a shame people pass us up and makes jokes about us so quickly. Oh well, more wonderful beaches to enjoy for ourselves.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:35 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Gulf Shore Alabama is great.
Others in California that easily could be top 10.
Cayucos
Cambria
Laguna Beach
Solana Beach
Carlsbad
Morro Bay
Carmel
Monterey
Carpinteria:

Carpinteria Travel Guide - VirtualTourist

Doesn't get any better than this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.