Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:48 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Exactly. The weather and swampy terrain by the Gulf favors seafood and shrimping, like Vietnam, so it is easy for them to get accustomed too. This is popular with other ethic groups; Persians in LA due to similar weather in terrain, Cubans in Miami, Puerto Ricans in Orlando. Similar scenery and terrain.
That's a short sighted view. Explain the Mexicans in Chicago, the Puerto Ricans in NYC, the Armenians in LA, the Koreans in LA, the Brazilians in Boston, the Arabs in Detroit, the Somalians in Minneapolis, the Hmongs in Minneapolis, the Salvadorans in DC, etc.

It's not climate or terrain that moves most groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
I did not say that is the only reason...just one of them. Explain all the people that move to South Florida from the Caribbean and Latin America. Or all those who move from Mexico to Texas, Arizona and Southern California. No doubt it is because those areas are somewhat close to their homelands and have similar weather and terrain to them. Of course, this is not the only reason, but it is a big one.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:20 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Looks like I messed up a bit in my post. Oh well...

I think that it's obvious that Washington, Oregon, California, and Hawaii have the highest percentages, but then Texas, Virginia, Massachusetts, Louisiana, and Kansas make an interesting "runners-up" list...
I'd add Florida to the runner-ups list.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:21 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
I did not say that is the only reason...just one of them. Explain all the people that move to South Florida from the Caribbean and Latin America. Or all those who move from Mexico to Texas, Arizona and Southern California. No doubt it is because those areas are somewhat close to their homelands and have similar weather and terrain to them. Of course, this is not the only reason, but it is a big one.
I'm pretty sure it's a proximity thing more than anything else. Heck, in Chicago -- where swells of folks from the South moved during the U.S. Industrial Revolution and "Great Migration" -- many landed on the South Side of the city. Parly because that's where a lot of jobs were, but also because that was the first place most newcommers saw first!

Or so I heard (wasn't alive back then)....

Old 06-27-2013, 09:57 AM

370 posts, read 862,909 times
Most of the migration of the Vietnamese was neccesitated by the fall of Saigon in 1975. Then came other waves in the 80s and 90s.

I dont think they had alot of choice of where to re-locatate initially but most chose to re-locate to california and texas. I believe nearly 40% of all Vietnamese live in CA today and 14% live in Texas..

See Wikipedia below:

South Vietnamese refugees initially faced resentment by Americans following the turmoil and upheaval of the Vietnam War. A poll taken in 1975 showed only 36 percent of Americans were in favor of Vietnamese immigration. However, President Gerald Ford and other officials strongly supported Vietnamese immigration and passed the Indochina Migration and Refugee Assistance Act in 1975, which allowed Vietnamese refugees to enter the United States under a special status. To prevent the refugees from forming ethnic enclaves and to minimize their impact on local communities, they were scattered all over the country. Within a few years, however, many had resettled in California and Texas.

This is consistent with my friends who are Vietnamese. By far most live in California and then its Texas. Alot of my VN friends are also from the DC area

Quote:
Exactly. The weather and swampy terrain by the Gulf favors seafood and shrimping, like Vietnam, so it is easy for them to get accustomed too. This is popular with other ethic groups; Persians in LA due to similar weather in terrain, Cubans in Miami, Puerto Ricans in Orlando. Similar scenery and terrain.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:55 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Tis true, I now live in CA and lived before in San Antonio. Perhaps the warm weather and coastal location was part of the decision. But of course, other factors were probably more important.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:28 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
That's a short sighted view. Explain the Mexicans in Chicago, the Puerto Ricans in NYC, the Armenians in LA, the Koreans in LA, the Brazilians in Boston, the Arabs in Detroit, the Somalians in Minneapolis, the Hmongs in Minneapolis, the Salvadorans in DC, etc.

It's not climate or terrain that moves most groups.
A lot of the churches sponsored Koreans, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Laos etc. to come over here during the 60's & 70's.

That also explains the move to particular areas.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:24 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
I was in elementary school when the first wave arrived in SoCal. By junior high you could tell the immigrants were different, definitely more rural and not only Vietnamese but Cambodian and Laotian. The immigration was really quite rapid. It was a heady time, as we were young and still didn't understand the Vietnam War. But the aftermath was arriving in our neighborhoods.

Of course, there was a longstanding Asian population of Filipinos, Japanese and Chinese, so assimilation was, I imagine, perhaps a bit easier. I remember taking for granted the rest of the country was experiencing the same evolution on the same scale. The immigrant waves came in retrospect really fast.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:44 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
A lot of the churches sponsored Koreans, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Laos etc. to come over here during the 60's & 70's.

That also explains the move to particular areas.
That's true! The Lutheran church did the same thing in MN and WI with the Hmong population!

Old 04-08-2016, 12:51 PM

4 posts, read 2,235 times
Default Population in smaller suburbs

Does anyone know of a database that might list Vietnamese populations by suburbs and smaller cities and towns in every state?

For example, I know the estimated Vietnamese population in the Dallas Fort Worth area is anywhere from 50,000 - 70,000. Is there a list that breaks down the Vietnamese populations for all the cities within Dallas Fort Worth?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by JMT; 04-13-2016 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Please do not mention competing web sites to city-data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.