Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 02:12 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,007,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ya see, while AZ might have the largest strand of Ponderosa pine (which I believe CA has more actually), its still only a small section of the state. The rest of the state is desert. The Grand Canyon? Desert. Canyon de Chelly? Desert. Citrus groves? I think Ive seen one small one, and that was near Tucson. Its not like theyre everywhere or are significant. Lakes? Those are man made and boring. Rivers? HA! What, rocks? Other than the water canals, Ive yet to see a river actually have water in it in AZ (even the Salt). Oak forests? Where? Never seen one in AZ. Oaks here are a dime a dozen. Ski resorts? The AZ snow bowl? Woo hoo. It sucks compared to anything in northern NM, CO and UT. Heck, WI has more ski resorts than AZ.

All that you listed there is not very diverse. Most states have everything you mentioned, and then alot more on top of it.
This is one time I'm actually not going to prove you wrong. Why you harbor such hatred for AZ, I'll never know. You obviously have never been to AZ from your ignorant comments. Your hatred has obviously jaded so severely you to make statements such as "most states have everything you mentioned, and the a lot more on top of it." Really?!?! I didn't know Illinois had massive canyons! I didn't know Iowa had a desert! I didn't know parts of Missouri had an alpine climate!

It's clear that you enjoy the Midwest becuase you perceive it to have all the amenities that other parts of the country offer. If you are happy there, good for you. I require certain things that I know the Midwest cannot offer me. Therefore, I will never live there. Sorry to let you down.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:26 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Why do so many people hate the Midwest and Rustbelt?I mean the Midwest/Rustbelt region is one of the huge regions why are country has been so prosperous.Yeah i know theres crime and poverty in cities in the Midwest but there is crime and poverty in cities in all of the regions.I also know the economy is not that good right now in the Midwest,but can you really expect that to last forever.I mean if the economy in the West was to go bad would people hate that region?Than in the Midwest you have cities like Cleveland,Chicago,STL,Milwaukee,Indianapolis,and Detroit,cities which all have world class attractions.The Midwest has the great lakes,the cities also have nice architecture.Im posting this question because I wanted to see what people have to say on this topic.I mean Im suprised and kind of mad to see that so many people dislike the region I like so much.I mean I know not everyone is going to like the Midwest,but compared to the other regions,the Midwest seems to be the one that is the most disliked.
prob b/c it sucks there...you guys have farms and that's it. F'n farms. Go mingle with people instead of animals.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
What are you talking about?Cleveland has some of the best hospitals in the world.People come from all over the world to have major operations at the Cleveland Clinic.To say Cleveland,STL,Detroit,and Cincinnati aren't major cities is wrong,because they most definetly are major cities.
There are many hopsitals in the U.S. that serve as hospitals for major operations. A hospital doesn't automatically make a city major.

The cities you mentioned are not major. If they weren't here, the United States would still be functioning.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:29 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
prob b/c it sucks there...you guys have farms and that's it. F'n farms. Go mingle with people instead of animals.
right .... that is all that is here ... farms. Funny, I didn't encounter any goats on the subway on my way to work this morning.

Oh, I get it, you are from Long Island, the epicenter of all culture and sophistication in the US, I forgot

Old 11-08-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Are you kiding me! The Cincinnati area is home to:

Proctor and Gamble
Chiquita
Cintas
Kroger
Fifth Third Bank
E.W. Scripps
G.E.Aviation
Western & Southern Financial Group

etc....

I'm talking headquarters here, not branches.
I think we can go without Procter and Gamble. God forbid I go without Oil of Olay and Sunny D. . Secondly, the bananas Chiquita distributes don't come from the Cincinnati area. They obviously could relocate somehwere else. Cintas distributes uniforms? I am sure operations could be switched to another city, as I doubt any of the uniforms are made in Cincinnati. Kroger is NOT a national grocery chain. Kroger is regional. Fifth Third is NOT a national bank chain. E.W. Scripps is not that important. God forbid I go without the Denver Rocky Mountain News or HGTV. G.E. Aviation is not even located in the city of Cincinnati and has a number of branch facilities. Lastly, W&S Financial Group is just another insurance company. Hartford, CT is obviously the center of insurance in this country.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:09 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Kroger is NOT a national grocery chain. Kroger is regional.
Actually, Kroger is a national chain, and a MAJOR company. It's just that in different regions they go under different names. Same exact store though, to a 't.' In Arizona, it's called "Frys." In Las Vegas, it's called "Smiths." In Denver, it's called "King Soopers." In Western Colorado and Utah, it's called "City Market." In SoCal, it's called "Ralphs." In some parts of the midwest it's called "Dillons."

Old 11-08-2007, 03:12 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
The midwest is not my preferred place to live, however there is a small chance I could be living in St Louis for one year if I get into a certain master's program at Washington University in St Louis, and choose to go there. It would be interesting to try it out. I've never been to the midwest ever in my life, other than a one hour layover at the O'Hare airport. It would be interesting to compare the differences with out west.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:23 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,652,142 times
Quote:
There are many hopsitals in the U.S. that serve as hospitals for major operations. A hospital doesn't automatically make a city major.

The cities you mentioned are not major. If they weren't here, the United States would still be functioning.
Cleveland is most definetly a major city,its what helped build this country.As I siad it has world class hospitals,and I'll now add that it has world class thearters,world class musuems,its metro area population is around 2.3 million people.And my question to you is how do you consider Miami a major city but not Cleveland?What makes Miami such a major city to you?

Old 11-08-2007, 03:38 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,652,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Ugh,what are you talking about?Im from Euclid,Ohio which is right by Cleveland,and there wasn't any farms there,it was urban there,people not animals were around me.Ohio has 11,500,000 people,Illinois has over 12,000,000,Michigan has around 10,000,000,Wisconsin around 6,500,000,Indiana around 8,000,000.The midwest has cities.Chicago,Cleveland,Indy,KC,STL,Detroit,Grand Rapids,Minneapolis,St. Paul,Milwaukee,Omaha,Madison,Toledo,Cincinnati,Col umbus,Akron,Fort Wayne.All of those cities are over 190,000,and most of them are over 400,000.There is much more then farms in the Midwest.Yeah there is in the Midwest region,but theres farms in the South,Northeast,and West too.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:42 PM

93 posts, read 247,150 times
Quote:
I think we can go without Procter and Gamble. God forbid I go without Oil of Olay and Sunny D. . Secondly, the bananas Chiquita distributes don't come from the Cincinnati area. They obviously could relocate somehwere else. Cintas distributes uniforms? I am sure operations could be switched to another city, as I doubt any of the uniforms are made in Cincinnati. Kroger is NOT a national grocery chain. Kroger is regional. Fifth Third is NOT a national bank chain. E.W. Scripps is not that important. God forbid I go without the Denver Rocky Mountain News or HGTV. G.E. Aviation is not even located in the city of Cincinnati and has a number of branch facilities. Lastly, W&S Financial Group is just another insurance company. Hartford, CT is obviously the center of insurance in this country.
P&G is the 25th largest American company. Kroger is the 26th.

FORTUNE 500 2007: Full List 1-100

A list of cities by the number of Fortune 500 companies headquartered there is here (this only lists a city if it has more than 5):

FORTUNE 500 2007: Cities

By Region:

Midwest:

Chicago: 11
Minneapolis: 8
Pittsburgh: 7
St. Louis: 7
Cincinnati: 6
Milwaukee: 6
Cleveland: 5
Columbus: 5
Omaha: 5

Total: 60

Northeast:

New York: 45
Philly: 8

Total: 52

South:
Houston: 22
Atlanta: 12
Dallas: 11
Charlotte: 7
Fort Worth: 5
Richmond: 5
San Antonio: 5

Total: 70

Northwest:

Seattle: 6
San Francisco: 5

Total: 11

Southwest:

Los Angeles: 5

Notably, Phoenix does not make this list (it only has 3 F500 companies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.