Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 05:09 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
of Latin America, and serves as major destination of so many Americans.

It's obvious that you harbor an intense dislike for South Florida, and it shows through your post.
Actually, amongst its problems that I can't ignore, I love South Florida. It has brought incredible prosperity and social connections to me as well as my family and I love the climate, multicultural feel (I have found very few places with a blend like my current location), clean air, relative lack of traffic congestion compared to other similar size areas (at least up here in Broward) and much more. There are a lot of problems here (and I'm not afraid to face them), but I love it. I still can't lie and say this is a corporate mecca, although yes, you are right about it being Latin Americas unofficial capital and after all it is a "gamma" world city. And no, I'm not a huge Miami (Dade) fan, but I love Miami Beach, and think the upper two counties can be a great place to live.

So no, I don't have some kind of intense hatred for South Florida, but it would be obscene to call Cincy a nothing city. No, overall I wouldn't put it on the same level of South FL overall but it's a major city and those are major corporations, and there is no denying that. I don't even like Cincy, but I just had to respond to your statement.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 11-08-2007 at 05:20 PM..

Old 11-08-2007, 05:14 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
prob b/c it sucks there...you guys have farms and that's it. F'n farms. Go mingle with people instead of animals.
Probably? have you been here before? Trust me, if you actually did mingle with people other than the virtual girl on your computer, you would know the statement you made was false.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:48 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ive been to AZ more times than I can count. Ive been in every corner of that state, hiked almost all ranges, even been stupid enough to go to Nogales. lol Im there at least once a year, sometimes twice, one time I was there 3 times in one year. I dont harbor a hatred for AZ, I love the state, its just a shame that Phoenix's ugly butt plumped down on the Sonoran Desert. I will say however, that AZ is not as diverse as most states. Ive shown you that Oklahoma is the most diverse state in the nation, but apparently you didnt take notice.

Yes, Illinois DOES have canyons (of course nothing on the grand scale of the Grand Canyon). Try Starved Rock State Park or Matthiessen State Parks, along with Apple River Canyon State Park.

Some of these canyons go on for a very long time. I hiked Matthiessen's canyons last fall and hiked for 3 hours and only covered about 1/2 the park.

Yes, midwestern states are VERY diverse. I hope some of what I showed you can help illustrate my point. And Illinois isnt even as diverse as most midwestern states!
I took notice of your Oklahoma pictures. First of all, the Ozarks don't make Oklahoma the most varied state in this country. Maybe the most varied state in the middle of the United States, but not the country. Second of all, very few people consider Oklahoma a Midwestern state. It's either a Plains state, Southwestern, or even Southern by some people.

Look at Arizona:

Northern Arizona University:

Near the Grand Canyon:

Near Flagstaff:

Valley of the Sun: (lettuce)

Southwestern Arizona: (bet you didn't know that much of Sunkist's citrus comes from Southwestern Arizona)

Horsethief Lake: (Doesn't look like a desert? Does it?)
http://www.rversonline.org/TempImages/NoName.jpg (broken link)

Monument Valley: (I guess it does rain it the desert occasionally, doesn't it?)
http://www.astronomynotes.com/nature/shoffner/MonumentValley3.jpg (broken link)

Mount Wrightson: (50 miles south of Tucson)

Gila River: (Guess Arizona does have rivers with water?)

Oak Creek Canyon:

I could keep going, but I've already proved your assumptions about Arizona wrong.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Probably? have you been here before? Trust me, if you actually did mingle with people other than the virtual girl on your computer, you would know the statement you made was false.
Why can't you accept that some people don't like the Midwest?

Old 11-08-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Actually, amongst its problems that I can't ignore, I love South Florida. It has brought incredible prosperity and social connections to me as well as my family and I love the climate, multicultural feel (I have found very few places with a blend like my current location), clean air, relative lack of traffic congestion compared to other similar size areas (at least up here in Broward) and much more. There are a lot of problems here (and I'm not afraid to face them), but I love it. I still can't lie and say this is a corporate mecca, although yes, you are right about it being Latin Americas unofficial capital and after all it is a "gamma" world city. And no, I'm not a huge Miami (Dade) fan, but I love Miami Beach, and think the upper two counties can be a great place to live.

So no, I don't have some kind of intense hatred for South Florida, but it would be obscene to call Cincy a nothing city. No, overall I wouldn't put it on the same level of South FL overall but it's a major city and those are major corporations, and there is no denying that. I don't even like Cincy, but I just had to respond to your statement.
No one is calling Cincinnati a "nothing" city. I'm just saying that it's not a major city. Certainly if I lived in Covington, KY or Hamilton, OH, Cincinnati would be important. It's more of a regional center than anything.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:06 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,259 times
Just as I thought....another pissing contest. <sigh>

Instead of bickering about who's "the best" (which, as proven here, is largely subjective), shouldn't we all be thankful that not only do we live in a big, beautiful country blessed with diverse landscapes and abundant natural resources (and yes, this includes the hated American FARM which provides us with all that high quality, affordable food that MANY countries would KILL for), but that we also have the freedom to visit and even relocate to these places if we so choose?

I have lived in, visited and enjoyed many places outside of the Midwest, but I chose to return to northern Minnesota. I like lakes, I like forests and I like living in a small, laid back, low crime community. I like ice fishing and I can't imagine Christmas without snow. Good for me. You might like the excitement of the big city or the stark beauty of the desert or the fact that you never have to wear a jacket in south Florida. Good for you.

So instead of trashig each other's regions, can't we just appreciate these differences? How boring would it be if we ALL lived in the city or the desert or the woods? I'm all for educating each other about misconceptions people might have about our home areas (and there are some BEAUTIFUL pictures in this thread!) but seriously, can we grow up and act like adults now? Please?

Last edited by MidniteBreeze; 11-08-2007 at 06:17 PM..

Old 11-08-2007, 06:32 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Looks like you're the one doing the judging here. I don't know where you get the idea that people in the Midwest judge people for their differences more than other places.

In fact, your statement proves your theory wrong. People in the Midwest are very accepting of other people's differences. You're going to find people who you described everywhere, not in one particular region.

And about the eye contact and hello thing... if you don't want to be around friendly people, I don't know where to suggest you go, but I suggest you stay far away from here
This is just a thought that occurred to me. It seems as though, in communities where people have/feel more pressure to conform, or say they do, people are 'friendlier'.

It is easy to be 'friends' with everyone if you all think the same. So the more 'friendly' a culture is, the more they are rewarded for not thinking outside of the box, people being social and fearful of being outcasts.

The cultures in which people think independently and are willing to argue their points, the less neighborly they are, especially with strangers - until they know, perhaps, what is going on in their heads.

So in some societies people are more isolated but think for themselves, and in others there is a strong feeling of community with a lot more pressure to conform.

I am thinking of, perhaps, Parisians, people who many have said are cold, especially to strangers, but who spend an awful lot of time in cafes and bistros arguing politics and world events.

It is like the dogs who hang in packs and are very pleasing animals, and cats who are usually solitary and independent.

I'm not sure that there is a right and wrong here. Friendship and a sense of community are very important to good health and people in cities often don't really have this.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:52 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,531,941 times
Quote:

I don't mind so much that you don't care for the Mid-west, last I knew it was a free Country. I myself have no use for Miami BUT.....
You won't see me being judgemental of the entire population there as you were on the people of the MidWest in your earlier posts.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:59 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,494 times
Quote:

I don't care that you don't like the midwest. I care that you're insulting and generalizing about us as people, which is completely ignorant.

Am I calling all people from Arizona stupid and boring, and inbreds who like only talking to animals?

Generalizing about a place is ignorant. Generalizing about the people is rude.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
I don't mind so much that you don't care for the Mid-west, last I knew it was a free Country. I myself have no use for Miami BUT.....
You won't see me being judgemental of the entire population there as you were on the people of the MidWest in your earlier posts.
I'm glad you know you have no use for Miami, millions in this country think otherwise.

I don't care for values I believe many Midwesterners hold. That's not judging a whole population. That's judging a subsection.

Anyway, the answer is no. I would never live in the Midwest based off of particular facts and other perceptions I hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.