Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 01:09 AM

386 posts, read 1,692,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I've heard zero southern dialects around interstate 70 at all. i actually think there are "three midwests." One is north of interstate 80, another is south of it and north of U.S. Highway 50, and the final one is south of U.S. 50 and above U.S. 60., which is actually a debatable region unto itself. Southern Missouri is debatable as a whole, whoever classified it as undebatably Southern needs help in my opinion. i don't hear any southern-type speech patterns until i'm south of U.S. 60, and they are not strongly Southern until i'm around U.S. 60. i've lived in the so-called area in question westcodude is talking about my whole life, and rarely heard any accents sounding even remotely Southern except from African Americans.
One word: Festus.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:19 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,537,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
One word: Festus.
Hey WestCoDude, I used to live in Chesterfield. Right by Green Trails Elementary School!!!! Moved probably 3 yrs ago now.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Hey WestCoDude, I used to live in Chesterfield. Right by Green Trails Elementary School!!!! Moved probably 3 yrs ago now.
No kidding?! That's exactly where I live!!! I vote at Green Trails and that's where my kids would go. It's an amazing area. I love it.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:24 AM
HUM

3 posts, read 13,370 times
Evansville Indiana. The armpit of America. This city is exactly why people hate the mid-west. Flat, zero culture, no jobs, bad weather, extremely conservative, bible thumpers, red neck folk. The people that have lived here all of their lives, simply do not know any better. It's truly sad. I'm glad I'm just here temporarily.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:48 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUM View Post
Evansville Indiana. The armpit of America. This city is exactly why people hate the mid-west. Flat, zero culture, no jobs, bad weather, extremely conservative, bible thumpers, red neck folk. The people that have lived here all of their lives, simply do not know any better. It's truly sad.
That could be said for many places...I guess it's about what your preferences are.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:54 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,799 times
WestCoDude.....you sure want St. Louis to be a sunbelt city.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:40 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUM View Post
Evansville Indiana. The armpit of America. This city is exactly why people hate the mid-west. Flat, zero culture, no jobs, bad weather, extremely conservative, bible thumpers, red neck folk. The people that have lived here all of their lives, simply do not know any better. It's truly sad. I'm glad I'm just here temporarily.
No one likes to feel insignificant. If you do not have much of an education, and there is a lack of jobs, one of the few things you have to set you apart, that make you feel 'special' is your bible.

This way, when you sit back and watch tv news, you have something that makes you feel superior to all those rich folks in cities with good schooling and jobs. You can sit back and fling bible verses at them and assure yourself that they are going to hell and you are saved.

The not-so-funny thing is, Christ felt for the poor and said we should help our brother. Many people on the boob tube are advocating that more allotments be made to help the poor, give free education, even in college, and good health care for such families.

Some of these country folk vote against the very programs that will help their families get ahead in the future, thinking it is somehow un-American and anti-Christian. Some slick politicians and clergy have them brainwashed into staying as a permanent underclass.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:48 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,799 times
^ In the words of the tobacco hating ads "TRUTH" and well said

Old 03-25-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
WestCoDude.....you sure want St. Louis to be a sunbelt city.
Yeah...I wish! lol. Economically, it actually is showing the sort of potential that you see in the sunbelt. And you've got plenty of southern culture here. But, alas, our geography and, thus, weather is inescapably midwestern. It IS the scourge!

Old 03-25-2008, 04:36 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
Yeah...I wish! lol. Economically, it actually is showing the sort of potential that you see in the sunbelt. And you've got plenty of southern culture here. But, alas, our geography and, thus, weather is inescapably midwestern. It IS the scourge!
Then is Chicago considered "sunbelt"? We have the best economy in the area, by far, and maybe even the country, arguably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.