Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 11:08 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,025 times

Advertisements

Not all people that are liberal are like that! I consider myself overall liberal with a few southern conservative values mixed in(raised in Arkansas lol), and i love many chain resturaunts, just as much as i love local food. If a resturaunt is good I will go to it either way! But i'll take my grandmother's home cooked southern meals ANY DAY over either!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:06 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not sure who is forcing their "world view" on you or anyone else. I have made several posts stating that suburban people do not all sit around watching "American Idol" and drinking beer or diet soda while the city folks are all watching PBS and drinking fancy wines. And much as I personally love local restaurants, sometimes if I'm stuck for an idea I will go to Chili's. I'm not quite sure what you mean about "more authentic", either. Do Chili's, Applebee's, et all not serve real food, or what? And I personally think it is extremely condescending to say someone's lifestyle "sickens" you b/c it is not what you choose. Intolerant liberals!
Not sure what political perspective has to do with anything or why this would have anything to do with liberalism. Do you understand liberalism? I am far from a liberal.

The people forcing their "world view" on me are the people who want to continue building subdivisions and malls further and further out without any discernable need for the betterment of the overall community - they want a Lowes to save half a cent on the cost of a Home Depot, destroying farmland, undermining existing businesses on the premise that growth for the sake of growth is intrinsically good, and forcing the economy to cater to their desires because they constitute such a large majority.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
This probably isn't the place to get into it; this is supposed to be a thread about the Midwest. I don't think the above happens in the midwest any more than anywhere else. There have been tons of threads on general US and Politics and Other Controversies about growth, suburbanization, etc.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:55 PM

36 posts, read 298,255 times
I grew up in the midwest and certainly don't hate the people, but the climate and the countryside were always unpleasant to me. Nasty swings in weather from one day to the next, sweltering summers and cold windy winters got to me. I also like variety in the countryside. Traveling hundreds of miles and seeing no change in the countryside is boring to me. I live on the west coast now and while I do miss the people and am proud of where I come from, I don't miss the 1000 miles of flat farmland stretching into the distance and the winters where everything just dies for 3 months.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:15 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
Southwest Missouri is beautiful with all the hills and valleys. And I love seeing the woods around here in fall. The seasons can be uncomfortable, but beautiful at the same time.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:48 AM

69 posts, read 239,875 times
what makes you think every area strives to become more "cosmopolitan", whatever the heck you mean by that. Cosmopolitan means "progressive" right? Come on now, that is ridiculous. That's like saying, what is Boston/New York doing to become more laid back?.....
It s what it is as they say

Old 05-04-2008, 08:02 PM

990 posts, read 3,185,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea7 View Post
I grew up in the midwest and certainly don't hate the people, but the climate and the countryside were always unpleasant to me. Nasty swings in weather from one day to the next, sweltering summers and cold windy winters got to me. I also like variety in the countryside. Traveling hundreds of miles and seeing no change in the countryside is boring to me. I live on the west coast now and while I do miss the people and am proud of where I come from, I don't miss the 1000 miles of flat farmland stretching into the distance and the winters where everything just dies for 3 months.
I was born and raised in the Midwest, and still live here today. I agree the winter can be a drag, but it's not just 1000 miles of flat land, just stop and look around and you will see all the beauty around you found nowhere else on earth.

The Midwest has one of the best skylines in the world, Chicago!!!
http://www.insideyourchicago.com/images/purple_chicago_skylineresized.jpg (broken link)

Don't Forget About our Architecture.

Even some sand, and not in the Great lakes!!
http://www.dunegoon.org/images4/ok_bv_dunes.jpg (broken link)

Some beautiful rivers!!

Deadly, yet mysterious weather

The Midwest isn't bad, and if you just look around you it's easy to see true beauty

http://www.drpeterjones.com/amberandgreg/galleries/2005/websized/kansas_rainbow.jpg (broken link)

And the wildlife

Next time you visit the midwest just look and see the true greatness around you!!

Old 05-04-2008, 08:50 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,459,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Why do so many people hate the Midwest and Rustbelt?I mean the Midwest/Rustbelt region is one of the huge regions why are country has been so prosperous.Yeah i know theres crime and poverty in cities in the Midwest but there is crime and poverty in cities in all of the regions.I also know the economy is not that good right now in the Midwest,but can you really expect that to last forever.I mean if the economy in the West was to go bad would people hate that region?Than in the Midwest you have cities like Cleveland,Chicago,STL,Milwaukee,Indianapolis,and Detroit,cities which all have world class attractions.The Midwest has the great lakes,the cities also have nice architecture.Im posting this question because I wanted to see what people have to say on this topic.I mean Im suprised and kind of mad to see that so many people dislike the region I like so much.I mean I know not everyone is going to like the Midwest,but compared to the other regions,the Midwest seems to be the one that is the most disliked.
I live in the Midwest, and it is very boring in my opinion. I come from the beautiful, rolling meadow state of Kentucky so I am spoiled, but Chicago has much to offer in the form of the arts and business, and not much else. There is really a lack of anything to do around where I live and the surrounding states, I have to travel hours to really enjoy nature.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:35 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I live in the Midwest, and it is very boring in my opinion. I come from the beautiful, rolling meadow state of Kentucky so I am spoiled, but Chicago has much to offer in the form of the arts and business, and not much else. There is really a lack of anything to do around where I live and the surrounding states, I have to travel hours to really enjoy nature.
I can hardly believe you have to travel hours to enjoy nature. What about the driftless area in NW Illinois. Yes that may be an hour or two away but that's nothing for drive time. Southern Illinois affords you the Shawnee National Forest as well as Rend Lake. Also head north into Wisconsin. We have Moraines with glacial lakes in the Southeast section of the state. Then to the Southwest region we have huge bluffs and even a mountain, many consider it a mountain anyway, that's Trempealeau Mountain. To the northern section you have cranberry bogs and the Northwoods crystal clear lakes. Your really never to far from beauty. You just need to open up your eyes a little.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:09 PM

10 posts, read 49,360 times
Well here were I live in WI, I can not find hills taken by coal mines and chemical plants polluting to extent I have seen in Kentucky. You must of been one of the lucky few who held the cash in that state. I feel for the people who do not have their rolling hills anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.