Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,550,305 times

Advertisements

Most people who 'hate' the Midwest have never been there. They follow conventional wisdom, driven by the New York-based media, that paints the Midwest as being flat, nothing but cornfields, boring, and rednecks. All native Midwesterners like me know better. No, it is not all flat. No, most of it is NOT cornfields. And there is plenty to see and do. People who make fun of the Midwest often know nothing about it.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:40 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,065,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Dude, stop trying to minimize the imortance of farming in Iowa. Farming is a huge part of Iowa's economy. According to this article, "Production agriculture and ag-related industries directly and indirectly employ one of every six Iowans (or 17 percent of the state’s workforce)." Study Measures Significance of Agriculture to Iowa Economy

I understand that you're from an urban area, but I don't get why people freak out because their home state is associated with agriculture. Agriculture is important. It's cool. Being from Iowa is unique and something to be proud of. It's basically unmatched worldwide for soil quality.

Is it better to hang your hat on being from a mediocre mid-sized city in Iowa, or should you show some pride in being from one of the top agricultural areas in the World?
Wow. Calm down! I never minimized Iowa as an agricultural state, I didn't "freak out" because Iowa is associated with agriculture, and I never said I wasn't (damn) proud to be from the state.

All I was getting across is that for a vast majority of people I've come across who aren't familiar with the state - 100% of their views are that everyone in the state is a farmer, everyone lives in the country, and they're probably really really excited to be visiting _______(wherever I am meeting this person).

My point was that in reality almost 95% of people don't live on a farm, 75% of the GDP is from non directly or indirectly agricultural related items, and 83% of the workforce is neither directly or indirectly employed in the agriculture sector.

I have huge pride for Iowa, and I fully support agriculture and what the state does for the country. I just notice that for the vast majority of people in the state, they're almost immediately and incorrectly thrown into the "oh - you must be a farmer".

The state certainly needs no validation or attention for being an agricultural state! I was just making a comment that there's certainly MORE to the state than agriculture.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:17 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Most people who 'hate' the Midwest have never been there. They follow conventional wisdom, driven by the New York-based media, that paints the Midwest as being flat, nothing but cornfields, boring, and rednecks. All native Midwesterners like me know better. No, it is not all flat. No, most of it is NOT cornfields. And there is plenty to see and do. People who make fun of the Midwest often know nothing about it.
Best response on this thread. And by far the most truthful!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:39 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,879,161 times
maybe this thread has gone on so long for all the wrong reason.....maybe people do not hate the Midwest....I think its more New England they hate these days.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:02 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,495,426 times
Rednecks and backwoods people in the Midwest?
Well, put it this way, Thom Hartmann is the #1 progressive talk show host around (either him or Ed Schultz). I've heard from too many folks say that once they leave the Chicago area, all they can pick up is an infestation of Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck, etc.......
Hartmann is on in Minneapolis and Madison, WI and a couple of other bigger midwestern towns, after that 0.
Oh well, at least it's not the South.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,695,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Well, put it this way, Thom Hartmann is the #1 progressive talk show host around (either him or Ed Schultz). I've heard from too many folks say that once they leave the Chicago area, all they can pick up is an infestation of Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck, etc.......
Hartmann is on in Minneapolis and Madison, WI and a couple of other bigger midwestern towns, after that 0.
No need to put down another region to make the Midwest look better.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:49 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,731,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
This is true of every region of the U.S. People with an unrealistic hatred of a particular place usually aren't very knowledgable about it.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:03 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,879,161 times
Quote:
that's rural America in general. been that way since L.Johnson was President. he did great things , but we all payed the price.....By the way , I get my Liberal slant from Sirius radio., forget the local few and far in between stations. T. Hartman is the most intelligent person on any of the media, anywhere.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:41 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,943,976 times
Quote:
Rednecks and backwoods people in the Midwest?....
Yes. I live in Missouri, just 30 miles outside of St. Louis. This this place is overrun with rednecks. Our town is relatively redneck free but they are all around us. The Waffle House, the Wallmarts, riding over powered bass boats on small lakes.

The infestation has its command center at the Bass Pro Shop in St. Charles.
Seems like there are a lot of angry rednecks in there buying lots of guns.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:32 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,631,869 times
I hate the term 'fly-over States'.

You know what the Midwest is?...Young and Restless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.