Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 03:17 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,502,207 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone hate the midwest? I have always thought highly of that region of the country.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:17 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,624,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Why would anyone hate the midwest? I have always thought highly of that region of the country.
Many Northeasterners may throw the Midwest a bone during a conversation such as this (usually either to appear more rational or to spite the South), but I don't like how its automatically assumed in NJ/NY that the Northeast is #1 followed by the West Coast, and that the rest of the country is basically worthless.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Many Northeasterners may throw the Midwest a bone during a conversation such as this (usually either to appear more rational or to spite the South), but I don't like how its automatically assumed in NJ/NY that the Northeast is #1 followed by the West Coast, and that the rest of the country is basically worthless.
To me the south is the least appealing region of this country, but I have always found the west coast , midwest, and southwest to be very appealing. Of course to me the Northeast will always be number 1, but that does not mean I dont think other regions are nice and have alot to offer and truly enjoy visiting.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
To me the south is the least appealing region of this country, but I have always found the west coast , midwest, and southwest to be very appealing. Of course to me the Northeast will always be number 1, but that does not mean I dont think other regions are nice and have alot to offer and truly enjoy visiting.
Yes, but you live in Camden County. There are probably nicer areas of the country

It's interesting to hear you mention the Southwest as if there's one state that NJites seem to hate the most other than Florida and Texas, it's Arizona.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, but you live in Camden County. There are probably nicer areas of the country

It's interesting to hear you mention the Southwest as if there's one state that NJites seem to hate the most other than Florida and Texas, it's Arizona.
Not at all, I have visited New Mexico and some of the other southwestern states and have found them to be very unique and interesting. I have also lived on the west coast (Long Beach, CA) and in the South (Orlando FL). The south being the least favorite of them all. But the midwest is awesome and I would not mind at all living in Chicago as I visit there often and have family there. It is alot like the Northeast in many ways with its urban cities. The midwest is cool in my book.

BTW yes I live in Camden County and have also lived in Essex County, love them both.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:38 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,698,254 times
Quote:

Getting beyond people I prefer the coasts, including Southern coasts, something about that smell of salty air, but I will also say in my travels I find people everywhere that I enjoy (some I don't) and also find perspective and humility everywhere. One of my fondest memories was a good ol' southern pig roast, I have never laughed (and not at anyone) so hard and felt enlightened with perspective than when I attended a pig roast in Alabama.

Chicago is also one my favorite places and contemplated moving on two different occassions.

On the whole though I still love my home the East Coast, and honestly the west coast topography and cities have a magical appeal, but maybe because to me it also reminds me of Italy a bit (topography-wise) so appeals to my other roots as well.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Not at all, I have visited New Mexico and some of the other southwestern states and have found them to be very unique and interesting. I have also lived on the west coast (Long Beach, CA) and in the South (Orlando FL). The south being the least favorite of them all. But the midwest is awesome and I would not mind at all living in Chicago as I visit there often and have family there. It is alot like the Northeast in many ways with its urban cities. The midwest is cool in my book.

BTW yes I live in Camden County and have also lived in Essex County, love them both.
Yes, I would choose the Southwest over the Northeast in a New York minute, although I still prefer the South (over the Southwest). New Mexico is probably one of the most unique states in the U.S. and has a very rich cultural history. Although to live I would probably choose Arizona as there is even more striking natural scenery and I prefer the politics.

I love Florida so this is not in offense to Florida, but I don't really think Orlando or really any big city in Central or South Florida is a good representation of the South at all. To get that in Florida you have to go to Tallahassee, Pensacola, etc.

I'm ambivalent about the Midwest. I do prefer it over the Northeast, but if I were to live there I'd probably move somewhere in Michigan's Upper Peninsula in a rural area. Southern Indiana would also be acceptable.

You have more experience in Camden County than me, but I just have to say that I have lived in Essex County most of my life and have been around every inch of it, from the most exclusive sections of Essex Fells to the bowels of Irvington, and anyone who says they love Essex is NUTS! The only counties worse (IMO) are Hudson and Camden.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Getting beyond people I prefer the coasts, including Southern coasts, something about that smell of salty air, but I will also say in my travels I find people everywhere that I enjoy (some I don't) and also find perspective and humility everywhere. One of my fondest memories was a good ol' southern pig roast, I have never laughed (and not at anyone) so hard and felt enlightened with perspective than when I attended a pig roast in Alabama.

Chicago is also one my favorite places and contemplated moving on two different occassions.

On the whole though I still love my home the East Coast, and honestly the west coast topography and cities have a magical appeal, but maybe because to me it also reminds me of Italy a bit (topography-wise) so appeals to my other roots as well.
Well, it's good that you have an open mind.

Probably the most disrespected states in the U.S. are Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana, so I do what I can to fight that type of misinformation about my favorite region of the country (the Deep South).

Some people say that California has a Mediterranean climate and atmosphere and reminds them of Italy, so you might not be far off. It's certainly big enough.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, I would choose the Southwest over the Northeast in a New York minute, although I still prefer the South (over the Southwest). New Mexico is probably one of the most unique states in the U.S. and has a very rich cultural history. Although to live I would probably choose Arizona as there is even more striking natural scenery and I prefer the politics.

I love Florida so this is not in offense to Florida, but I don't really think Orlando or really any big city in Central or South Florida is a good representation of the South at all. To get that in Florida you have to go to Tallahassee, Pensacola, etc.

I'm ambivalent about the Midwest. I do prefer it over the Northeast, but if I were to live there I'd probably move somewhere in Michigan's Upper Peninsula in a rural area. Southern Indiana would also be acceptable.

You have more experience in Camden County than me, but I just have to say that I have lived in Essex County most of my life and have been around every inch of it, from the most exclusive sections of Essex Fells to the bowels of Irvington, and anyone who says they love Essex is NUTS! The only counties worse (IMO) are Hudson and Camden.
I respect your opinion, but I do disagree and I am not nuts as NJ is one of the most populated states in the country. You obviosly hate the Northeast and I hate the south with a passion. But since this thread is about the midwest it is best we stay on topic. There is no denying that the midwest is beautiful, this Northeasterner thinks highly of the midwest.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I respect your opinion, but I do disagree and I am not nuts as NJ is one of the most populated states in the country. You obviosly hate the Northeast and I hate the south with a passion. But since this thread is about the midwest it is best we stay on topic. There is no denying that the midwest is beautiful, this Northeasterner thinks highly of the midwest.
Well I wasn't saying "nuts" to that. New Jersey is nice in many areas. I just don't like Essex Co. People say it's an ugly state, but I dislike it for the politics, the corruption, the overpopulation, and the urban crime more than the scenery. The scenery isn't that bad as you have the shore, the Pinelands, the Watchung mountains, etc.

But yeah I'm not crazy about the Northeast and I don't want to discuss the Northeast vs. the South again.

As for the Midwest, like I said, there are certain areas I prefer over others. I would probably choose Michigan's U.P. to settle. Southern Indiana has a lot to offer as well and has some Southern influences, so I'm keen on that region. And parts of rural Wisconsin and Minnesota are probably beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.