Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 04:43 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
I'm sorry, but I can't take anyone seriously who recommends New Orleans as one of the 20 best cities in the U.S. for twenty-somethings.
Why not? The food, music, culture and nightlife are all there, and New Orleans is booming. It is walkable and has decent public transit. It has nice weather for much of the year and is beautiful. It is a liberal city-gay friendly, which proves it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 05:40 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,351 times
I think a lot of grads should place more emphasis on going to a city with lots of good jobs and public transit so they can get started on a good career track and avoid having to buy a car if possible (which saves a lot of money)-even if it means living in a more expensive city with roommates I think it is better in the long run. I wish i would have done this after college.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:43 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
I think a lot of grads should place more emphasis on going to a city with lots of good jobs and public transit so they can get started on a good career track and avoid having to buy a car if possible (which saves a lot of money)-even if it means living in a more expensive city with roommates I think it is better in the long run. I wish i would have done this after college.
Many of the cities you speak of currently have very high unemployment though i.e. Portland. Also very stiff competition for jobs makes it difficult to break in. That said, it seems most young people today don't mind being underemployed if they live in a place with the lifestyle they seek. You have a lot of people with degrees in Portland waiting tables and working at coffee shops.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:49 PM

591 posts, read 820,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Why not? The food, music, culture and nightlife are all there, and New Orleans is booming. It is walkable and has decent public transit. It has nice weather for much of the year and is beautiful. It is a liberal city-gay friendly, which proves it!
New Orleans is one of the most dangerous cities in the entire country. It's also disgusting and dilapidated. Yeah, no thanks.

I'm going to assume you're gay, black, and originally from the South, which would be the only reasons why someone in their right mind would ever recommend New Orleans as a good city for twenty-somethings and use that criteria to prove their point. Maybe it's a good city for someone in that particular demographic, but not for most demographics.

By the way, I've never heard of New Orleans as being described as "gay-friendly." I mean, have you ever even looked at a map? New Orleans is in Louisiana, which is in the Deep South.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
I detest public transportation, and I'm so done with roommates after college. Sorry.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:00 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
List is useless because it does not factor in housing quality at the price point of most 20somethings.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:00 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,351 times
sorry to hear you hate public transit-tucson is probably a good place for you to live if you hate public transit (its a beautiful city and very car oriented)-from what i have read young college grads tend to prefer cities with good downtowns and public transit-- as much as I like Portland -job quality in Portland tends to be mediocre-while competition may be stiff for high quality jobs-at least the opportunity to obtain them is available in many of these cities college grads are flocking to- but to each his own -we all have to make the choice that is best for us.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:01 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Clearly there's something wrong with the methodology - it's weighted incorrectly. No Austin, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte or Denver in the top 10?

People in the early stages of their career (or in entry level jobs) will find it very difficult to live in those cities because of COL. Unless they get a roommate, which is a huge drawback for many.
Exactly

Old 06-26-2013, 06:02 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
New Orleans is one of the most dangerous cities in the entire country. It's also disgusting and dilapidated. Yeah, no thanks.

I'm going to assume you're gay, black, and originally from the South, which would be the only reasons why someone in their right mind would ever recommend New Orleans as a good city for twenty-somethings and use that criteria to prove their point. Maybe it's a good city for someone in that particular demographic, but not for most demographics.

By the way, I've never heard of New Orleans as being described as "gay-friendly." I mean, have you ever even looked at a map? New Orleans is in Louisiana, which is in the Deep South.
That is a stereotype which has no truth to it when talking about specific urban areas in the South. Place like Austin, Houston, New Orleans, and Atlanta are far more diverse and you won't find much of the yokel stereotype there. I will give you that most mid-sized and smaller cities in the South aren't on the preference map for twentysomethings - they are too conservative.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
That is a stereotype which has no truth to it when talking about specific urban areas in the South. Place like Austin, Houston, New Orleans, and Atlanta are far more diverse and you won't find much of the yokel stereotype there. I will give you that most mid-sized and smaller cities in the South aren't on the preference map for twentysomethings - they are too conservative.
With regard to the bold text, that's essentially what I meant.

I know that large Southern metropolitan areas such as Atlanta, Austin, DFW, Houston, and so forth are very diverse and more accepting than their smaller Southern counterparts, but what happens when you exit those metropolitan areas and you're in rural Texas, Georgia, or Louisiana?

I rest my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.