Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 11:30 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm 53 and not of the generation we speak of.... and get the differences.

The point is there will always be a similar derivative due to the philosophy involved and therefore it won't fade out as a "fad".
Well since your 53, maybe you aren't understanding it. I'm in my 30's so kind of more bridge the gap. I remember fledgling hippies and boomers still in their hippie full regalia, and I know plenty of hipsters today. They aren't the same, entire different philosophies also. Hipsters and hippies are clashing subcultures in terms of philosophical values.
You might as well say punks/goths/hippies/hipsters are the same...? They aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 11:49 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Well since your 53, maybe you aren't understanding it. I'm in my 30's so kind of more bridge the gap. I remember fledgling hippies and boomers still in their hippie full regalia, and I know plenty of hipsters today. They aren't the same, entire different philosophies also. Hipsters and hippies are clashing subcultures in terms of philosophical values.
You might as well say punks/goths/hippies/hipsters are the same...? They aren't.
Wouldn't the term individualist encompass all of those mentioned, regardless of overall philosophy??
I don't see individualism as a fad.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Wouldn't the term individualist encompass all of those mentioned, regardless of overall philosophy??
I don't see individualism as a fad.
No! That is the problem with hipsters, they are marketed to as a giant fad and are everywhere, very opposite of individuality. Why do you think people get so annoyed with them? Hippies were making their own clothes, growing their own food and bartering and the most hardcore were forming communes outside of any major cities. Hipsters think having ipods and macbooks, 80 dollar fedora hats, courier bags and rayban wayfarers as a fashion statement and swarm Urban Outfitters and American Apparel. Hipsters are super trendy. They often take real groups like geeks and make it a fashion statement to be ironic, while real geeks now are hard to spot b/c they hate the hipsters stole their style.

People get annoyed with hipsters b/c they are generally following trends, and want to see themselves as very "cool" and to be "noticed" Often out enjoying nightlife in the trendiest bars and restaurants. Hippies... no.

People were annoyed with hippies usually because they wanted to still use gov programs but more or less drop out of society.

Last edited by grapico; 06-30-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 06-30-2013, 02:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I never said it wasn't a major destination, it's certainly not hipster *dominated* like Portland though.
Portland is not dominated by hipsters. They are visible yes but they do not make up the bulk of our population. Have you been to Portland? If you have, have you been to all Portland neighborhoods other than those where hipsters tend to congregate? Where do you get your information?

Hipsters are no more no less than in many other cities, just more visible because Portland is small so they stand out more than other places. Unfortunately some whackdoodle from New York decided to make a show about hipsters and decided to pick on Portland. Interesting when you consider that he recently bought a condo to live in for half the year in a very wealthy part of town no hipster could ever afford.

It is true, however, that because of this and other dumb publicity that many little hipster lemmings have flocked here from other places but this city is still by no means hipster dominated. We still have our population of all kinds of different people. When the hipsters grow up and become whatever they grown into, or when they join the ranks of the many who leave because they discover it's not such an easy place in which to live, the population that has always been here will still be here.

Oh, and BTW, hipsters and hippies are definitely not one in the same. I was around in the sixties when the hippie culture came into being and there is not the slightest similarity.

Last edited by Minervah; 06-30-2013 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: added thought

Old 06-30-2013, 06:59 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,146 times
How did this even become about hipsters? 20-somethings =/= hipster. The majority of hipsters are young people, but the majority of young people are not hipsters. Hipsters are a minority of young people, and if you mentioned places like Austin and Portland to a group of 20-somethings, half of them wouldn't even know what's going on there or why you even told them about it.

I'm starting to think that the older generation has different definition of "hipster" than the younger people do...

Old 06-30-2013, 07:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
How did this even become about hipsters? 20-somethings =/= hipster. The majority of hipsters are young people, but the majority of young people are not hipsters. Hipsters are a minority of young people, and if you mentioned places like Austin and Portland to a group of 20-somethings, half of them wouldn't even know what's going on there or why you even told them about it.

I'm starting to think that the older generation has different definition of "hipster" than the younger people do...
Thank you! But one thing I must say, I am of the older generation you are talking about but neither I nor anyone else I know of my age consider all twenty somethings to be hipsters. I think in fact it may the the younger generation who is more likely to buy into the Media promoted image of twenty somethings as hipsters. As someone else pointed out here, it's a large matter of marketing amongst other things.

The older generation is a bit more skeptical as to what we see and hear from on TV, the Internet, etc. since we were not raised in the total media oriented atmosphere of the present generation. Maybe this is why people here and perhaps equate young people with hipsters.

And we certainly do not consider our city of Portland to be dominated by them. It is a good city for all twenty somethings if they are able to find jobs which is the biggest obstacle for anyone of any age living here. So if anyone asks me if Portland is a good place for twenty somethings I would say yes. If you are a hipster, you will find them but if you are not you will find even more people your age who are not. Just don't believe everything you hear and see for yourself.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:39 PM

I'd say only maybe 1 out of 10 of 20 somethings are hipsters.

Minervah, let me ask you this though, as dominated is indeed a strong word.

Would you say, out of all the major metros say, over 1 million people, that Portland has the largest percentage of people you could approximately categorize as hipsters? I can't think of a metro more "hipster" than Portland myself.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:35 PM

591 posts, read 820,599 times
If I ever dressed like any of the people in those pictures grapico shared, my buddies and my male relatives, including my Dad, would kick the crap outta me.

Just sayin'.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:43 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
Beating people up for how they dress?

Old 06-30-2013, 08:52 PM

591 posts, read 820,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Beating people up for how they dress?
I'm guessing you're not Italian-American and didn't grow up in R.I.

Truth be told, I'm exaggerating. However, I would definitely get a lot of slack from my male family members and friends for dressing like the people in those pictures.

Besides, I have zero desire to ever dress like that. I'm very clean cut. More importantly, it wouldn't be in my best interest to dress like that because I'm a business major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.