Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 11:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHamez View Post
Its pretty much been established that rising sea levels are already baked in and irreversible even if we stopped producing greenhouse gasses today; and that the coasts will be profoundly affected. In particular, the Rolling Stone published an article recently writing off the city of Miami as a lost cause that will be gone by the end of the century:

Why the City of Miami Is Doomed to Drown | Politics News | Rolling Stone

Seems like other cities that I have heard mentioned that are particularly at risk include New York, New Orleans, and Charleston.

How will sea level rise affect your city?
New York is probably screwed, and my favorite spots along the Jersey Shore are most definitely (especially knowing what Sandy did to them - forget a rising ocean). As far as my town, I live in Union County, NJ, smack in the middle of the county, and we are kind of considered coastal but are protected by Staten Island, Hudson County, then more extensively, Long Island and I guess Manhattan, so they would be wiped out before us I am assuming. But I would suddenly nearly have beachfront property if the oceans rose that much, I assume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 05:23 AM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
For Boston, Everett, Cambridge, and Chelsea, only most of the areas that where filled from Boston Harbor will be flooded. So set back to 1620.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:26 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHamez View Post
Its pretty much been established that rising sea levels are already baked in and irreversible even if we stopped producing greenhouse gasses today; and that the coasts will be profoundly affected. In particular, the Rolling Stone published an article recently writing off the city of Miami as a lost cause that will be gone by the end of the century:

Why the City of Miami Is Doomed to Drown | Politics News | Rolling Stone

Seems like other cities that I have heard mentioned that are particularly at risk include New York, New Orleans, and Charleston.

How will sea level rise affect your city?

Really?

I've been fishing on the same exact pier on the Delaware river for 40 years.

High tide STILL rises to the exact same level today as it did 40 years ago.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:51 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Really?

Global warming is real it will hit you like the 2012 Apocalypse.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:02 AM

177 posts, read 430,953 times
Whether it's real or not it won't affect Ohio too much. But if it is, Ohio may very well return to being quite the booming state it once was!

Side not, when Hurricane Sandy hit the east coast, I never seen so many New York and Pennsylvania license plates at our shopping centres.

Last edited by foreverdublin21; 06-28-2013 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: Had a bit more to say.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:29 AM

435 posts, read 453,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Really?

"The tide looks the same where I fish therefore ignore the scientists, global warming is a lie!"

Logic=not even once.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I'm 98 feet (36 meters) above sea level, and on the second floor.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:28 AM

81 posts, read 152,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Global warming is a massive scam. Earth's temps are flat since 1998. Don't be a tool to the multinational corporations making billions off of this.
Sounds like you're the one being a tool of the multinationals making billions off of fossil fuels.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:55 AM

798 posts, read 1,033,642 times
If nothing changes (no one makes any preparations for the rise in sea level), then I see the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region faltering because most of those cities would be underwater, except for Philly maybe. The Midwest and South get stronger because most of their major cities are off the coast. Established cities like Minneapolis, KC, Pittsburgh, Dallas, SA, and Atlanta get stronger, while the flooded cities have to rebuild. Not sure what happens to Seattle, SF, Chicago, or LA, depends on how high the water rises. New Orleans, Honolulu, and Miami pretty much become Atlantis. Orlando becomes the only major city in Florida, if Florida still exists.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:10 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
A few residential neighborhoods of the suburban West Seattle would be affected by rising sea levels, but most of Seattle including Downtown is built well above sea level on what is similar to a steep hill and will never be affected by sea level rise.

Los Angeles might lose its beaches, but there's quite a bit of space between the coast and any human developments. The main issue for LA/Southern California will be its industry/shipping which will be affected by sea level rise.

Portions of NYC will inevitably be at high risk for being underwater in the next 100 years.

Miami and New Orleans might as well start erecting a glass bubble around the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.