Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Drive or Take Public Transportation
Drive (Cities like Atlanta, Minneapolis, Denver) 19 28.36%
Subway / Bus (Cities like NYC, San Fran, Chicago, Boston) 48 71.64%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 10:24 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Having lived in both, the car only world for 22 years and the public transit only for 12 I would EASILY take public transit over going back to doing everything with a car. I just feel a lot more freedom in the world not having to be tied down to a car and worrying/paying for it.
Maybe if you actually paid your fair share of public transportation you would think differently. Why should car drivers pay for their cars and for YOUR public transit?

It seems like one of the big minuses of cars is cost, but public transit would be a minus too on cost if riders actually paid for their fair share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 10:24 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Public transit works best when density makes driving and parking a bigger hassle than taking a bus or train. Trying to make it work in areas built for cars is hard to rationalize.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:37 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Maybe if you actually paid your fair share of public transportation you would think differently. Why should car drivers pay for their cars and for YOUR public transit?

It seems like one of the big minuses of cars is cost, but public transit would be a minus too on cost if riders actually paid for their fair share.
you do realize that you can't cherry-pick where your taxes go, right? Public transit users also pay taxes that subsidize gasoline and oil costs, roads, car company subsidies, airplane subsidies etc. My federal taxes still get divvied up to pay for expressways in Georgia and Alaska or a tax break to make cars in Michigan and South Carolina even though the likelihood of me driving on those expressways or owning a car from those locations is likely close to zero.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:43 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
Prefer a less car centric environment ; used to cycle virtually everywhere, but now I live around between more open spaces in several locales. Am a slave to the car more than I would like. FWI, there are places in Denver where people actually walk, cycle practically everywhere.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
I'd rather live in Minneapolis but prefer cities where I can use public transportation and that is also the main mode of transportation.

You used 3 cities that have fairly capable public transit though for your "drive" cities, which I found odd...

Old 06-28-2013, 11:21 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
If San Diego was a little more densely populated and had a subway system like NYC, I would be in heaven!
I feel the same way about MSP!

Old 06-28-2013, 11:32 AM

542 posts, read 1,683,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'd rather live in Minneapolis but prefer cities where I can use public transportation and that is also the main mode of transportation.

You used 3 cities that have fairly capable public transit though for your "drive" cities, which I found odd...
Most cities have public transportation options, but in those 3 paticular cities the majority of people drive and do not utilize public transportation...certainly not to the extent of NYC, Chicago, San Fran or Boston.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,432 times
There should be a third option: combo of both. I'd love to take the train/bus to work sometimes, but I definitely don't like living in high density areas. Took a trip to New York last summer and I just couldn't get used to the fact that there were people EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME. I enjoyed living back home in Texas where it got quieter at night, and there was space between me and my neighbors. My ideal way to commute to work would be a <10 mile trip to a rail station, and then taking the train to my work area. I do enjoy the fun of downtown, but at the end of the day I'd like to go back to quiet suburbia.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:39 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
I choose based on the city choices. I imagine outside of CD these results could be very different given the question

I prefer the cities listed because what they offer, guess PT is part of that but not to me the sole reason by any means (I have a car and also take PT from time to time, walk or taxi more frequentyl in my home town but will use PT to get further when it works for what I am doing)

Old 06-28-2013, 11:42 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post

Well, Atlanta may have a capable public transit, but it's not extensive enough. The rail lines of MARTA extend to just outside the Perimeter, and 90% of the Atlanta metro lives outside the Perimeter. It's great if you need to go downtown, to watch a Falcons game, or to the airport, but anywhere else you're better off driving, even with the terrible traffic, because the buses have to sit in it too. And you'd still have to drive to a transit station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.