Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Drive or Take Public Transportation
Drive (Cities like Atlanta, Minneapolis, Denver) 19 28.36%
Subway / Bus (Cities like NYC, San Fran, Chicago, Boston) 48 71.64%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:27 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
No, they are far less efficient, which is the point of public transportation.
Its not even close, there is more roads than train and bus lines.
I can drive a car from my home to the grand canyon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 05:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I take the bus everywhere and I see lots of young mothers on the bus with their babies and toddlers. Ever since the 70's strollers have been allowed on buses. My mom raised three kids and always took them on Chicago buses during the time when strollers were not allowed on them. I don't know how she did it but she did.

Of course, not every city has a transportation system like Chicago, but I voted for the second option as where I choose to live because I have always lived in places where I would not be dependent upon a car to get around.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:48 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Density is really expensive. While i complain of high gas prices, I also complain of higher rent prices and ppsm, and longer standing lines at the grocery store.

I have to go with densly populated because it forces people to get out and do what nature intended: get people to interact with natural greenspace, sunlight, and it gives you some exercise.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:50 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
I'll take the city where everyone uses public transportation, except for me, the one car on the road .
Genius.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:40 AM

591 posts, read 820,933 times
In real life, I've encountered very few people in their 20's and 30's who prefer to use public transportation instead of driving. I'm in my 20's.

However, on the other hand, it seems like the vast majority of most posters on C-D are vehemently against driving and much prefer public transportation.

I was belittled on a different thread earlier tonight by a couple of posters for saying that I vastly prefer car-centric cities over cities where one must rely on public transportation to get most places. Jeez, you would've thought I uttered the filthiest slur in the English language based on how some posters reacted to that comment! My goodness! I can understand why someone would prefer to use public transportation over driving, but I don't belittle people who prefer public transportation and walking, even though it's not my thing. Gosh, some of the posters really need to grow up!

Thankfully, I've never encountered folks like this in real life.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:15 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
Why should it be either or? It really depends on your situation. In cities such as New York or San Francisco, it's often easier and more convenient to take public transportation. But in more spread out cities such as Los Angeles or San Diego, a car is often more practical and convenient. That doesn't mean you can't have a car in NYC or take public transportation in San Diego. I know, because I took public transportation in SD for a couple years. Very inconvenient but doable (an yes I managed to haul groceries and even laundry on the bus).

Old 06-29-2013, 09:37 AM

389 posts, read 470,099 times
It shouldn't be either or but if a place is car-centric, the public transit is most likely not good, likewise if a place is walkable and offers good transit, it's not auto-centric.

I'm in my early 20s and even in my state I know many 20 year olds that would like to ditch a car, but you need it here lol. When you hit the 40 year old bracket here, there were a lot of people that worked for the auto companies and they are passionate about cars. They'd view my type as crazy or if you buy international car they say you don't support the state.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:10 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Freedom > fascism. I'll take freedom every day of the week. Freedom of movement is one of the most important and essential freedoms there is. Fixed transit systems are a relic of the past except in the most clogged, congested, crowded, overpopulated places.

I rather be traveling my route on my schedule than be another marching ant. The absolutely worst thing about transit is that people who love transit want me and other people who loathe it to pay for it. It is time for a separation of road and transit funding. Let's let people vote with their feet and wallets.
The biggest part about cars is people want me to pay for it out of my tax dollars...bailout big auto, and fund highway and road systems I don't use...

lol @ fascism.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:23 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The biggest part about cars is people want me to pay for it out of my tax dollars...bailout big auto, and fun highway and road systems I don't use...

lol @ fascism.
Every time you buy something from the store you are 'using' the roads and highways.

I get the feeling a lot of people are basing their opinions on what they are used to. Lots of assumptions about the cost and hassle of car ownership, which may be true for some places, but not true for others. For a lot of us paid parking, parking garages, lack of street side parking, etc are non issues. I also think a lot of posters are thinking about this from the POV of being single, add in the cost of public transportation for up to 4 people and suddenly the cost of owning a car seems like more of a bargain.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:43 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Every time you buy something from the store you are 'using' the roads and highways.

I get the feeling a lot of people are basing their opinions on what they are used to. Lots of assumptions about the cost and hassle of car ownership, which may be true for some places, but not true for others. For a lot of us paid parking, parking garages, lack of street side parking, etc are non issues. I also think a lot of posters are thinking about this from the POV of being single, add in the cost of public transportation for up to 4 people and suddenly the cost of owning a car seems like more of a bargain.
I was being sarcastic. Talk to the poster saying PT is fascism.
Anyway, I'll address your erroneous point.
Ummm kids mostly ride free in every system I know of. A student in Chicago can ride pt for an entire semester for a whopping 5 dollars.
Where I grew up any high school student or college student with ID rides PT, entirely free! Infants ride free. I'm sure other cities are similar I just know those off top of my head.
To make your point on non children, which I'm assuming that would be. It would have to assume 4 people are all car pooling back and forth everyday.
Cars are only cheap as they are and roads b/c of government subsidies with big auto companies and your tax money. If anything, automobiles have been FAR.. FAR more subsidized for than public transportation post WWII. So when somebody tries to claim "fascism" I'm going to call them out, deservedly. I might even send them a tin foil hat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.