Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:26 AM

81 posts, read 152,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
And with the rising sea levels/global warming condition, are you essentially ruling out the gulf and ocean coasts and most bays? Are you really wanting a nice lake location?
Well, there are some places where the land on the coast or a bay rises steeply from the water or is on a bluff. I'd definitely consider a place like that. Probably not interested in any places where the land is right at sea level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 10:26 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGrande View Post
I know they do, which is why I said they fit everything except weather and low taxes.

SW Michigan has reasonable tax rates. NY - forget it.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 PM

494 posts, read 804,418 times
They had this puppy for sale not long ago. Might be sold though now?

265 Lakeshore Dr, Battle Creek, MI 49015 - Zillow

A house on it's own island in the middle of a lake. Also get a nice 2 bed house on the mainland lake front ( boat dock ) as well with it.

Last edited by HarryBTL; 07-03-2013 at 10:52 PM..

Old 07-03-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGrande View Post
I am thinking about property on the water (probably not beach, more like on a bay or a big lake). This would be a "always have a place to go, leave it to my kids, hope it stays in the family forever" sort of thing. I'd like to build a big house where everyone in my extended family would be welcome at anytime. What I would be looking for:

1) Reasonably close to a medium sized city or nice college town

2) Be able to have a boat dock and a body of water big enough to sail on

3) Swimmable at least some of the year

4) Low cost for land (or house already in place)

5) Would prefer low taxes & few permits needed to build

6) 4 seasons (or maybe 3, not deep winter would be fine); but able to live there year round (no summer-only cabins)

7) Would prefer not freezing cold or massive snowfalls

8) Not someplace likely to get wiped out or made uninhabitable by rising sea levels & global warming

I was thinking about Western Michigan (near Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids) or Western New York (near Rochester or maybe on the Finger Lakes). Both would meet all my requirements except low taxes and not too cold/too much snow.

Not sure what other places might be even better. So I thought I'd ask for suggestions.
West Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
SW Michigan has reasonable tax rates. NY - forget it.
Yep. I would look at South Haven ( Not far from Kalamazoo, Chicago etc ) on up to Grand Haven. Do note that on the immediate lakefront they don't get as much snow as areas 10 - 50 miles inland does and that is in part thanks to the early winter season and warmer lake water temps which will favor rain or rain/snow vs snow further in away from the warming influence of the lake. STILL it does snow alot compared to most other parts of the country which ofcourse i don't mind as i love alot of snow and a white Christmas which is the way it should be. Just know as well it tends to be alot more cloudier in winter thanks to the lake as well. Some have a hard time with it and thus why i mention it.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post

A house on it's own island in the middle of a lake. Also get a nice 2 bed house on the mainland lake front ( boat dock ) as well with it.
Places looks sweet, but a bit more house than I need. Would be handy if I started hosting Gatsby-sized parties, though.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
West Michigan.

Yep. I would look at South Haven ( Not far from Kalamazoo, Chicago etc ) on up to Grand Haven. Do note that on the immediate lakefront they don't get as much snow as areas 10 - 50 miles inland does and that is in part thanks to the early winter season and warmer lake water temps which will favor rain or rain/snow vs snow further in away from the warming influence of the lake. STILL it does snow alot compared to most other parts of the country which ofcourse i don't mind as i love alot of snow and a white Christmas which is the way it should be. Just know as well it tends to be alot more cloudier in winter thanks to the lake as well. Some have a hard time with it and thus why i mention it.
Thanks

Looks like Holland MI has some really reasonably priced places on the water or just off it like this place

Old 07-04-2013, 10:10 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,893,604 times
Waterfront properties in Florida aren't cheap, go somewhere like Texas, or Louisiana. The again there are many many lake in Florida that you could live on, but they could have alligators, and amoeba during the summer,

Old 07-05-2013, 12:12 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,609 times
Quote:

Like I've mentioned a bunch already, the cheapest shore property in the country is likely WI/MN/MI, considering the tens of thousands of lakes in those states. The problem is that it snows a lot, and the closer you are to "real cities," the more expensive the property is. You can pick up water frontage for $10,000 in hundreds of spots in these 3 states. You can get a chunk of Lake Michigan sand for $100,000. A bunch of private islands for under 1 mil. Etc.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Like I've mentioned a bunch already, the cheapest shore property in the country is likely WI/MN/MI, considering the tens of thousands of lakes in those states. The problem is that it snows a lot, and the closer you are to "real cities," the more expensive the property is. You can pick up water frontage for $10,000 in hundreds of spots in these 3 states. You can get a chunk of Lake Michigan sand for $100,000. A bunch of private islands for under 1 mil. Etc.
Yeah i hear you. That just ( and still does ) blows me away as you would not be able to touch that kind of property back east for under a million and perhaps a few million depending on where. Ofcourse the problem with that property ( the main house on the island ) is well you cannot drive to it. Has a heliport and ofcourse the boat dock.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:20 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,101 times
If you don't mind a 40 minute commute to the city, there are plenty of options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.