Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 04:27 PM

16 posts, read 29,419 times

Advertisements

Where I have lived:

Suburbs of Philadelphia for 36 years of my life (Glenolden, Folcroft, Brookhaven, Linwood)
3 years in New Jersey (Bellmawr)
3 years in Delaware (Newport)
2 years in Ohio (Ottawa)
2 years in Arkansas (Gassville)

Of those years I did enjoy living on the east coast due to growing up and going crabbing every summer with my father till he passed and tried to keep up the tradition, but of course there ain't no crabbing in Ohio or Arkansas. Though its not a necessity for where I care to live... it would just be nice is all if I could still manage it without having to travel 1/4 to 1/2 way across the country to do so.

I have enjoyed moving west and living in towns which are pretty small, quiet and the cost of living is much lower. In Ohio I was paying $495 for a Townhome that was fairly new, 2 floors, 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath, central heat n air and had all the needed local stores nearby like Walmart and some of my favorite fast food places.

What I haven't liked since moving west is the threat of tornadoes! I am so petrified of severe weather that each time there is any kind of bad weather, I end up heading to the local hospital and hanging out in the waiting rooms till the storms pass. I have spent here in Arkansas upwards of 28 hours sitting around in hospital waiting rooms for storms to come and go.

Another issue I have is spiders... I know they are everywhere but some areas have the nasty brown recluse such as here in Arkansas and recently I came across 2 of them inside my apartment in the past week and now I find myself constantly looking around for them. I even walk around with a flashlight and flyswatter and tear my bed apart every night before going to sleep... and even them I am nervous about one getting on me once I fall asleep.

So I don't know where to live. Pennsylvania, NJ and DE weren't bad places to live... threat of tornadoes were minimal to the point of non existent in the areas I was living, but the problem there is most areas are highly populated, noisy and the cost of living isn't exactly cheap. The $495 apartment I had in Ohio... I could never find anything that nice, with that much space anywhere within those states. Heck most of those areas charge more $$$ than the Ohio townhome, for a horrible little studio apartment.

Im not in a position to own a home, or I would probably move back to Ohio, buy a house and have a shelter installed. But I am forced to rent... and a friend of mine who is on disability wanted to share an apartment or house rental but unfortunately we are both cat lovers and each have 3 cats and no rental place is going to agree to that many pets. Your lucky if most rentals will allow 2 pets and have to pay extra every month for them.

I was thinking of moving to South Carolina but opted against it, figuring they have the brown recluse, tornadoes and hurricanes to worry about...

So I don't know... any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 06:16 PM

177 posts, read 457,391 times
By chance, have you investigated any of the small to mid-size cities in the Appalachian areas, like northeast Tennessee, southeast Kentucky or West Virginia? You may be able to find safe, affordable towns, and the threat of tornadoes is much lower in those areas. It would also put you within reasonable distance of the Mid Atlantic coast.

See what you can find on towns like Berea, London, or Pikeville, KY, possibly also Kingsport, TN or Beckley, WV, just to name a few.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:03 AM

27,007 posts, read 43,601,931 times
The Recluse Spider does not exist east of Alabama and is not present on the East Coast. The maps attached below show tornado/hurricane risk zones and between the first two criteria coupled with a desire for low cost of living you might check out the Roanoke, Virginia area. In particular towns like Blacksburg, Christiansburg and Radford are nice places to check out as well.

http://www.marc.org/emergency/images...do_act_map.jpg
http://www.marc.org/emergency/images...o_risk_map.jpg
Christiansburg, VA - Official Website
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blacksburg,_Virginia
new river, radford virginia jobs, blacksburg va, radford univ, events in virginia

Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 AM

16 posts, read 29,419 times
Well I have to ask, if the recluse doesn't exist east of Alabama... then how come when you look up places like South Carolina and West Virginia it shows recluse stories and even Terminix shows recluse listed in those places.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:21 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times
For some reason Bellingham, WA keeps coming up lately, but when i read your post, I thought of when i lived in Bellingham and used to go crabbing with my daughter there. we'd be up on an old train trestle and lower the pots into the water, then wait for the tide to come in and watch the crabs get into the pots, the water was so clear.

Wouldn't be as cheap as you're talking about, but there may be another place on the west coast that would suit your needs.

No tornadoes out here. No giant scary bugs, that I ever recall seeing. Except maybe mosquitoes LOL.

Lots of crabbing in Eureka, CA, too. No doubt if you get away from the major towns on the coast, you can find cheaper areas...from CA to OR, to WA to AK. All of which have crabs, too!

Old 07-04-2013, 05:40 AM

27,007 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCrossan View Post
Well I have to ask, if the recluse doesn't exist east of Alabama... then how come when you look up places like South Carolina and West Virginia it shows recluse stories and even Terminix shows recluse listed in those places.
Because the internet isn't always right and people love to spin stories perhaps?? There are spiders everywhere but Recluse Spiders have a specific region...

File:Loxosceles reclusa range.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-04-2013, 08:16 AM

92,669 posts, read 122,997,895 times
Something in PA in the central portion of the state may work. Perhaps one of the dense former coal towns/cities in NE or Central PA like Berwick, Bloomsburg, Mahanoy City, Frackville, Pottsville, etc.

Maybe even Upstate NY may work and places like Bath, Hornell, Dansville and Auburn could work, among others. Perhaps something like this may work: 2 bedroom lower apartment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.