Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 04:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

Most terrorists come through their borders.
How many has that been? ALL terrorists come through OUR (USA) borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 04:53 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
I love Canada! Been to Toronto twice and to Vancouver twice as well. Beautiful, and polite people. Toronto is home to the best hot dogs and Chinese food I have had i my life! Toronto, I view it as the NYC of Canada (but I actually prefer Toronto to NYC) and Vancouver as Canada's Los Angeles. I would love to live in Toronto someday, as it is actually one of my favorite cities, but I would have to spend my winters elsewhere.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:23 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
Hi,
First and foremost this is my very first post on city data, having just registered.
I am an East Indian and I spent 2 years in Canada. I have many friends and even some family in the United States, but the strict visa rules of the American embassy meant I could not visit the US.
I absolutely enjoyed my stay in Canada dn perhaps someday I might return.

My question to Americans is this: what is the difference between Canada and the US, as far as people and everyday life is concerned. I am not asking for political opinion or opinion on healthcare or religious beliefs.

What I felt was that America could be very similar to Canada, only on a grander scale. Toronto would be like NYC and San Franciso(or perhaps Seattle) could easily be the city cousin of Vancouver. Food from all over the world would be available in any major cities in both, and racial issues would be likewise(Vancouver had ghettos but interracial stuff was accepted without anyone battling an eyelid, both in school and in general).

Tell me Americans...have you been to Canada? What was your opinion on the people and the place? I bet you'd say its too cold(which it was).
If you truly enjoy Canada, I can't honestly say that you're missing much by not being in America. I love my country, but I'm from here. I'd say just visit New York, New Orleans, and Las Vegas, when you get the chance...maybe South Florida, for the beach.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:09 AM

67 posts, read 93,815 times
Canadians, generally speaking, are more courteous and open-minded than Americans. I find myself more relaxed whilst conversing with Canadians because they are less likely to "snipe you down" in the middle of conversations for petty reasons. On the downside, they can be quite insufferable when it comes to hockey, and some of their drivers could do a better job of going with the flow of traffic. Also, some of them forget to tip because it's included in their bill back in Canada. They are getting better in this regard, however.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:30 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
Day to day life is very similar to Northernmost US states (dated a Canadian and was there for awhile)
Very true as you get further south the more different it is

Generally more laid-back and civil than US. Less obsessed about race and keeping up with the Joneses. Coast-to-coast more open to public transit. Safer cleaner cities. The people almost always come off as more reserved

Also a really big thing that differentiates the culture: Canada doesn't have a subculture like the Southern one in the US...or a Hispanic or African-American subculture...and these are some really defining parts of overall America. Then, Canada has some Commonwealth elements that shape its society. So the `vibe` always feels different to me.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:37 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Not much different from the U.S.
If you enjoy America, you'll enjoy Canada

Old 07-07-2013, 01:15 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,513 times
I think they are in love with Costco milk and are horrible drivers

Old 07-07-2013, 05:15 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,062 times
Impressions of Toronto: Truly a city of immigrants, very impressive skyline and modern architecture juxtaposed against old churches, overpriced, very walkable and good transit, very clean and seemingly safe compared to most American cities.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:38 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,053 times
As an American, I love Canada. In many ways, it's a very similar country and I think it's a place that America could really learn a thing or two from. It's a beautiful country with really nice people, a progressive attitude, gorgeous scenery, and some really cool cities.

Americans in general seem to really like Canada. Sure, it's an easy target for jokes (as is America to Canadians), but most Americans view Canada as a great place to live.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:26 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Day to day life is very similar to Northernmost US states (dated a Canadian and was there for awhile)
Very true as you get further south the more different it is

Generally more laid-back and civil than US. Less obsessed about race and keeping up with the Joneses. Coast-to-coast more open to public transit. Safer cleaner cities. The people almost always come off as more reserved

Also a really big thing that differentiates the culture: Canada doesn't have a subculture like the Southern one in the US...or a Hispanic or African-American subculture...and these are some really defining parts of overall America. Then, Canada has some Commonwealth elements that shape its society. So the `vibe` always feels different to me.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there as the Quebecois identity and loyalty is as palpable and on par with the Southern US and in recent times has had a more active separatist movement. Ask any Canadian from East to West about the Quebecois and it will likely be a sharp opinion rather than indifferent one.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-07-2013 at 10:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.