Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:55 PM

91 posts, read 196,068 times

Advertisements

Hi,
First and foremost this is my very first post on city data, having just registered.
I am an East Indian and I spent 2 years in Canada. I have many friends and even some family in the United States, but the strict visa rules of the American embassy meant I could not visit the US.
I absolutely enjoyed my stay in Canada dn perhaps someday I might return.

My question to Americans is this: what is the difference between Canada and the US, as far as people and everyday life is concerned. I am not asking for political opinion or opinion on healthcare or religious beliefs.

What I felt was that America could be very similar to Canada, only on a grander scale. Toronto would be like NYC and San Franciso(or perhaps Seattle) could easily be the city cousin of Vancouver. Food from all over the world would be available in any major cities in both, and racial issues would be likewise(Vancouver had ghettos but interracial stuff was accepted without anyone battling an eyelid, both in school and in general).

Tell me Americans...have you been to Canada? What was your opinion on the people and the place? I bet you'd say its too cold(which it was).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 12:02 AM

494 posts, read 804,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
Hi,
First and foremost this is my very first post on city data, having just registered.
I am an East Indian and I spent 2 years in Canada. I have many friends and even some family in the United States, but the strict visa rules of the American embassy meant I could not visit the US.
I absolutely enjoyed my stay in Canada dn perhaps someday I might return.

My question to Americans is this: what is the difference between Canada and the US, as far as people and everyday life is concerned. I am not asking for political opinion or opinion on healthcare or religious beliefs.

What I felt was that America could be very similar to Canada, only on a grander scale. Toronto would be like NYC and San Franciso(or perhaps Seattle) could easily be the city cousin of Vancouver. Food from all over the world would be available in any major cities in both, and racial issues would be likewise(Vancouver had ghettos but interracial stuff was accepted without anyone battling an eyelid, both in school and in general).

Tell me Americans...have you been to Canada? What was your opinion on the people and the place? I bet you'd say its too cold(which it was).
Everyone i have known from Canada has been good. BTW.. I will gladly trade hot summers for a colder winter. Personally if it were up to me we wouldn't need a border patrol or anything else preventing people from coming or going. Thus i have nothing bad to say. Most ( both countries ) seem to enjoy what they have while visiting the other side from what i have found. Yeah i know there is exception as there always will be.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:12 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
I have been to Canada and I do believe you would find it similar to much of the northern US. (Quebec is different however) The upper Midwest states, northern New England, and the pacific northwest are very very similar to Canada in culture and climate. The further south you go in the US the more difference you will notice. The US is a very large nation and its very diverse. If you visit New York city you will have a totally different experience then if you visit Texas. Canada is diverse too, just not quite as diverse as the US. You mentioned Toronto, and if I had to compare that city to a US city it would be Chicago Illinois. As far as the Canadian people I think they are very much like Americans, but maybe a bit more reserved than us. Its too bad you didn't get a chance to come visit here, the Canadian border used to be much more open but we changed that after 9-11. I guess it was an overreaction, it was better when you could cross freely. If you do return to Canada maybe you can get your visa straight to visit the USA too. If you enjoyed Canada you would enjoy the USA.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:40 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Well for Michiganders, it's a place to go drink when you're 19.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Being an American who lived in Canada for ten years, I found that the novelty wore off in a few days, and after that, one was very rarely conscious of living in Canada and not the USA. Of course, you always knew you were in Canada, but nothing ever happened from day to day that made any difference in your life.

It's not like you get up in the morning with a certain plan for the day, and say Oops, I have to reformulate my plans, because I'm in Canada and things are different here. You don't say to yourself "I have to understand Canadian road signs to drive to a Canadian bank today and cash my cheque for Canadian dollars and convert that in my mind to US dollars so I know the value of the change in my pocket.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-06-2013 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-06-2013, 07:48 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
As a frequent visitor to Canada, my comments are simple: It's a beautiful country with some of the loveliest cities I've ever experienced. The most striking thing to me about Canadian cities is their cleanliness, something that can't be said of many of of their American counterparts.
Culturally, the difference between the countries feels subtle...except, of course, for Quebec and its heavy French influence. And the OP would be right about the comparison of Seattle and Vancouver. There are marked similarities between the two; IMO, Seattle has more in common with Vancouver than with most American cities.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:12 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
I've mostly had very positive experiences in Canada. First trip up as a kid was to Nova Scotia. At 18 I started exploring Quebec with friends, admittedly intent was on the drinking age but I've made many repeat visits since. I love the cosmopolitan nature of Montreal (lots of sharply dressed good looking people), nightlife, and food. Quebec City is probably my favorite city in Canada, nowhere else in North America quite like it and has such a palpable old word European feel. The Quebecois have been mostly hospitable and friendly while up there. Quebec is the one province that feels like I've truly left the US when crossing the border.

When I lived in Seattle for 5 years I made many trips up to Vancouver and around BC. The city is in a gorgeous setting, Stanley Park is my favorite urban park in the world (use to do rollerblading along the waterfront perimeter, awesome!) but I found the people to be rather smug (even more so than Seattle) and the city has too many glass boxes, not my favorite architectural city. I really enjoyed getting into the wilds of BC, hopping a ferry over to Vancouver Island. Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park has some of the most soul stirring coastal beauty I've seen anywhere. Eventually I'd like to get up to Banff/Jasper, Alberta and the Canadian Rockies. Overall I'm quite fond of Canada.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-06-2013 at 08:20 AM..

Old 07-06-2013, 08:30 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
I vacation a lot in Canada becasue I work in Asia & Middle East and need to visit without exceeding my US days for tax purposes. I like BC & Alberta. It seems more expensive to me than the USA and of course, it's really not a good winter place unless you like to snow ski.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:50 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I vacation a lot in Canada becasue I work in Asia & Middle East and need to visit without exceeding my US days for tax purposes. I like BC & Alberta. It seems more expensive to me than the USA and of course, it's really not a good winter place unless you like to snow ski.
Now it is more expensive do to current exchange rates. 10 years ago it was a lot different. I use to go form Seattle to Vancouver to shop frequently because the exchange rate back then was much more favorable, around 35-40% higher on the US dollar to Canadian dollar.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:05 AM

536 posts, read 829,728 times
Good people. I have quite a few Canadian friends and they have showed me nothing but kindness. Just don't try to debate Tim Hortons VS Starbucks with them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.