Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:57 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,459,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdforeman View Post
I currently live in Portland, OR and LOVE the climate here. However, my fiance lives in Greensboro, NC where I used to live 30 years ago. I refuse to move back to the heat and humidity of that area. He is reluctant to move to the Portland area because of the number of gray days we have here (not so much because of the amount of rain we have, because it is less than Greensboro!).

Can anyone suggest a city that has green vegetation like Portland (i.e. isn't in the desert), has a view of snow-capped mountains, has the mild climate of Portland, but has a greater number of sunny days? We are both retired, so are not limited by needing to locate near work. It would be great to be within a few hours of the ocean, but that's not a major concern. We would appreciate any suggestions.
The "rain shadow" area of the Olympic Peninsula might be to your liking (Sequim, Port Townsend). It's very green but enjoys more sun than either Port Angeles or Seattle. There are lots of retirees there.

Or Victoria BC, if you're able to relocate to Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 12:42 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Have you considered Europe? There is really only one mountain range in the USA.

There are three major mountain regions in the USA. The Sierra-Nevada/Cascades area, The Rocky mountains and the Appalachian mountains. THe OP is looking for green mountains with sunny weather, and I agree with you its going to be tougher to find. The southern Appalachians (Asheville NC) come close but the OP said they did not like humidity. The Rockys are not green, and the west coast is too cloudy for them. I guess you cannot have it all.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:58 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdforeman View Post
I currently live in Portland, OR and LOVE the climate here. However, my fiance lives in Greensboro, NC where I used to live 30 years ago. I refuse to move back to the heat and humidity of that area. He is reluctant to move to the Portland area because of the number of gray days we have here (not so much because of the amount of rain we have, because it is less than Greensboro!).

Can anyone suggest a city that has green vegetation like Portland (i.e. isn't in the desert), has a view of snow-capped mountains, has the mild climate of Portland, but has a greater number of sunny days? We are both retired, so are not limited by needing to locate near work. It would be great to be within a few hours of the ocean, but that's not a major concern. We would appreciate any suggestions.
What size city? You might try moving south - Medford/Ashland, Oregon or Chico, California. Both will be hot in the summer, Chico more so than Medford. Chico is sunnier in the winter (though it does have the valley fogs). For more moderate weather, depending on your budget, you might try Santa Rosa or the Central Coast in California (say, San Luis Obispo) or down around Ojai or Santa Maria.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:05 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
There are three major mountain regions in the USA. The Sierra-Nevada/Cascades area, The Rocky mountains and the Appalachian mountains. THe OP is looking for green mountains with sunny weather, and I agree with you its going to be tougher to find. The southern Appalachians (Asheville NC) come close but the OP said they did not like humidity. The Rockys are not green, and the west coast is too cloudy for them. I guess you cannot have it all.
Appalachians aren't really "mountains" though, they are more like hills. At least not the classic snow capped mountains like the Andes, the Swiss, the Himalayans, and the Cascades.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
I don't think you're going to get it all.

But, I'm with you on humidity - no way! So, that means the west.

Cool summers, means the coast.

You'll have to move south from Portland to get out of the clouds. But, you'll lose the sight of the snow-capped mountains. Like in northern California. Plenty of snow capped mountains, but you'd have to drive to see them from the coast.

Anywhere inland in CA is going to be hot in the summer. Someone mentioned Redding by Mt. Shasta - really, really hot summers there. Same is true for Tahoe, even. Same for eastern Oregon and Washington, even.

If it was me, and I had to choose between humidity, cool summers and views of snow-capped mountains. I'd let the mountains go, and move to the beach.

What about Santa Cruz? On the beach, but right next to the Santa Cruz mountains. Not snow-capped, but great hiking in the woods.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:18 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Appalachians aren't really "mountains" though, they are more like hills. At least not the classic snow capped mountains like the Andes, the Swiss, the Himalayans, and the Cascades.

I knew this would come up, this has been battled out on CD countless times as westerners claim the Appalachians "are not real mountains". In the area I live in the Smoky mountains are always in the background (as long as its not raining). Those peaks are 6500 feet up, while I admit they are not the tallest mountains around, they are far more than hills. In the winter and parts of the fall and spring there IS snow up on the peaks. Its very pretty to look up at those mountains and see the snow on the top, all while enjoying a warm day down in the valley. Another point about the Rockys, and other western mountains is this; many of the bases of the 14000 foot mountains are already at 5000-6000 feet. In Colorado springs it is flat high plains to the east of that city and even there its 6000 feet. Pikes peak 14000 foot high but it climbs only 8000 feet from Col springs. Pigeon forge Tn is around 1000 feet, and Mount LaConte climbs to 6500 feet. It climbs 5500 feet in elevation which is less than pikes peak, but to claim its not a "real Mountain" does not make sense to me. Now you mention the Himalayans, well none of our North American mountains are real mountains compared to them. (other than Mt McKinley) The Himalayans are king of mountains.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:17 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Denver is not green like Portland, but neither is it desert. It's very sunny!
Quoted for truth.

I'm from DC (also spent time in Greensboro, NC), and the humidity back east is just AWFUL.

come to Denver. today its 85 degrees, 15% humidity. Denver gets 300 days of sunshine, and the Rocky Mountains are so friggin' big, you can literally see them from anywhere in the metro area.

I've lived in DC, Greensboro NC, San Antonio, Seattle, and now Denver. Colorado is by far the nicest place I've ever lived (with Seattle being a close 2nd).

Old 07-10-2013, 11:31 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Colorado. Definitely mostly sunny and rarely humid. Green compared to desert (but not the east nor even PNW).

Old 07-10-2013, 11:40 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Quoted for truth.

I'm from DC (also spent time in Greensboro, NC), and the humidity back east is just AWFUL.

come to Denver. today its 85 degrees, 15% humidity. Denver gets 300 days of sunshine, and the Rocky Mountains are so friggin' big, you can literally see them from anywhere in the metro area.

I've lived in DC, Greensboro NC, San Antonio, Seattle, and now Denver. Colorado is by far the nicest place I've ever lived (with Seattle being a close 2nd).
OP had better be able to deal with serious below zero temps, actually very radical temp changes for Denver. There is a lot of nice but a lot of hot and a lot of serious cold, bugs, and don't forget tornadoes.

I lived there over 20 years, still have a ranch and a farm there but I had to bail for S Cal.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,881,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
OP had better be able to deal with serious below zero temps, actually very radical temp changes for Denver. There is a lot of nice but a lot of hot and a lot of serious cold, bugs, and don't forget tornadoes.

I lived there over 20 years, still have a ranch and a farm there but I had to bail for S Cal.
Bugs? Tornadoes? In Denver? Denver has a good climate compared to many places east of here, but its not green and its not mild like Portland. I agree with others, the OP is searching for a place which doesn't really exist anywhere in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.