Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:29 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times

Advertisements

Denver is the easternmost city within the mountain West region of the country, the only West that counts. The Great Plains are really the western Midwest, not the true West. Nobody in Denver would consider Oklahoma City, Dallas or Fort Worth a "western" city. Those are southern cities, IMO-- the western South, sure, but still fundamentally the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 05:49 PM

151 posts, read 739,636 times
NORTH
Westernmost Eastern city: Minneapolis,MN
Easternmost Western city: Fargo,ND

IN-BETWEEN
Westernmost Eastern city: Kansas City,MO
Easternmost Western city: Topeka,KS

SOUTH
Westernmost Eastern city: Houston, TX
Easternmost Western city: Dallas, TX

Last edited by TerrySRA; 11-08-2007 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Added on the Northside

Old 11-08-2007, 06:59 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus
I'd say Eastern = faster paced, more hurried lifestyle, more "in your face" kind of personal interaction, more densely urban geographically, more liberal politically/socially, more culturally "highbrow."

[quote=LancasterNative;1944281]Yes, totally agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus
Western = slower paced, laid back, quiet/polite/taciturn, more conservative/populist politically, more preference for spread-out, open spaces and outdoors-oriented activity.

I dunno...wouldn't those first few traits apply just as much, if not more so, to Southern cities?

Just food for thought...[/QUOTE, LancasterNative]

"Just food for thought . . ." so here's a thought. Maybe the South and West do share the general characteristics listed above for the West. Maybe the difference is that the South has an additional characteristic. Despite whatever differences between the South and the Northeast people might perceive, they're the oldest parts of the country. As such, they share an old culture, rooted in the rituals associated with 18th- and 19th-century old-money affected gentility. In the South today, you'll also have the new Sun Belt outlook, but that old upper-crust, socialite segment of society still carries some weight. Maybe that's not so much the case in the West.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
When I think of Eastern cities, several things come to mind immediately:

Old
Dense
Row houses
Ghettos
Rudeness
High costs (for everything)

Most of the above does not hold for Pittsburgh.
Old? Yes
Dense? Used to be, not so much now
Row houses? Some
Ghettos? Yes
Rudeness? Not to hear them talk about it on their forum
High costs (for everything)? Among the lowest housing costs in the nation. Nothing there seems to cost more than here in Denver.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:13 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times
Westernmost City in the East-Omaha

Easternmost city in the west-I've never been to the West Coast,but judging from pictures I'd say the Bay Area,more specifically San Francisco and Oakland.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:41 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
I'd say that Kansas City would be the easternmost western city, St. Louis the westernmost eastern city.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:01 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
Good post on reverse commuting patterns.

I will add though that Atlanta is even more sprawled connected by freeways and resembles LA in many respects.
Yeah, forgot about Atlanta. The NC Triangle around Raleigh and Durham is also like that with decentralized growth, and also Hampton Roads area in southern Virginia (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, maybe even Richmond) are a large metropolitan area with lots of little and mid-sized cities but no big city. That phrase about LA used to being "a thousand suburbs looking for a city" is definitely true for Hampton Roads. But then Hampton Roads, Atlanta, and Raleigh are also southern.

The new development patterns of the South are very similar to the West, or at least the Southwest since they're all in the Sunbelt. I would say the Southeast and the SOuthwest have some parellels in regards to planning, lifestyle (the places mentioned above vs. Phoenix, Las Vegas, Tucson) while the Northeast and California/Northwest have their similarities, like the hippie/liberal culture in Boston vs. Portland and Seattle and San Francisco.

LA is its own place, a mix of everything, probably the most diverse place in America in every regard. Maybe this is why they film so many movies in LA and it can stand in for everywhere else.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:16 AM

884 posts, read 1,033,835 times
I think this thread is really weird.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:22 PM

160 posts, read 517,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I'd say that Kansas City would be the easternmost western city, St. Louis the westernmost eastern city.
Agreed, what is with this previous comment about Dallas being "Eastern"? What a hoot. There is a line, probably I-40, with everthing South of this should never be considered "Eastern".

Old 11-09-2007, 08:39 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,111 times
Sf has no eastern feel what so ever. Not in politics,not in the climate, not in ethnicity, and certainly not in culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.