Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:29 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondabar View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll try to see if I can make the trip longer than a week. I'll look into Providence, didn't think of that city.

No, I am from sunny and hot area of CA, I'd like to experience a winter in the East Coast haha. But December is the only time I can actually take a week vacation.
Winters on the East Coast are grossly overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 08:36 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Default Don't forget Philadelphia

Quote:
Hi all, first post on the forums, hopefully this is a right place.

Born and raised in California, never been to East Coast before. Planning to take a full week during December to travel to East Coast (I have enough Southwest mile points to take round trip to a city on East Coast).

I have New York City has a must see, is it possible to sight see the most popular spots there for ~2 days?
What other cities should/can I go see and what means of transportation is the best way to travel to these other cities?
Ideally, I'd like to see New York City, Boston, and Washington DC. DC is pretty far from NYC and Boston I believe, so maybe if thats not doable, I can go there another time and instead maybe see Hartford, Connecticut.

Is the above doable in 1 week, in terms of being able to sight-see the must see spots in those cities?

Thanks for the help.
Wondabar, because you are hitting NYC and Washington DC, you might want to go to Philadelphia for a historical experience instead of Boston. Philadelphia is between New York and Washington so you would save traveling time.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
I second the notion of doing two citites--either DC/NY or Boston/NY--in a week because yes, you can see three or four cities in that time, but I think you'd be rushed, harried and not enjoy your visit as much. Buf if you must see a third, I'd make it NY/Philly/DC, with maybe two days in that city from NY and then finish up in DC.

IMPORTANT: You know that this is holiday season, right? So hotel prices will be through the roof, and accomdations scarce, especially at less expensive hotels/motels/hostels, etc. Start looking for places to stay as soon as you decide what cities you;re visiting. Likewise, I hope you're not planning on renting a car to do this multi-city trip, 'cause that will be an unncessary expense and headache. Plan on buses or trains between cities, with the same caveat--this will be one the heaviest travel periods of the year in the Northeast, so make your reservations as soon as you firm up your air plans.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:57 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I second the notion of doing two citites--either DC/NY or Boston/NY--in a week because yes, you can see three or four cities in that time, but I think you'd be rushed, harried and not enjoy your visit as much. Buf if you must see a third, I'd make it NY/Philly/DC, with maybe two days in that city from NY and then finish up in DC.

IMPORTANT: You know that this is holiday season, right? So hotel prices will be through the roof, and accomdations scarce, especially at less expensive hotels/motels/hostels, etc. Start looking for places to stay as soon as you decide what cities you;re visiting. Likewise, I hope you're not planning on renting a car to do this multi-city trip, 'cause that will be an unncessary expense and headache. Plan on buses or trains between cities, with the same caveat--this will be one the heaviest travel periods of the year in the Northeast, so make your reservations as soon as you firm up your air plans.
Yup, and NYC is a ZOO between Thanksgiving and New Years. My favorite time to be in the city, Christmas decorations are beautiful, but an absolute tourist trap.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,160,922 times
All the major northeastern cities are full of culture, general tourist attractions, and tons of history that you could legitimately fill a week in just one city. So what is it you're hoping to get out of the experience? You want a general overview? A chance to scratch the surface and soak in the atmosphere? Or do you want to really do lots of stuff in one place? It really depends most on your preferences and whether you think this is just the first of many visits, haha.

My personal suggestions: NYC is a priority. If you want to do two cities then I'd go with DC #2 for its cultural attractions and different aesthetic. Time for a third then I'd add Philly in between. Plenty of history and yet another complement to the variety of attractions in NYC and DC.

NYC-Providence-Boston would also work for a 3-city vacation but imo it's not as strong. And Baltimore could fit in between Philly and DC, but I don't think it's necessary under these time-constraints.

Look into Megabus and Boltbus...very cheap and adequate to get around the northeast. There are other very affordable bus options if somehow those don't suit your schedule. Amtrak can work too...probably slightly faster and more reliable, but will cost more. And remember, if you're using Southwest awards and/or points you can fly open jaw (arriving at one airport, departing from a different one) I just want to make sure you make most efficient use of your time!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll try to see if I can make the trip longer than a week. I'll look into Providence, didn't think of that city.
I'd recommend Philadelphia over any smaller Northeast city such as Providence, especially since it's so close to New York City. And definitely don't go to Hartford, I don't think it's worth a visit. 5 days in NYC and then 2 days in DC (or maybe Philly) might be a good possibility.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:55 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Wondabar, because you are hitting NYC and Washington DC, you might want to go to Philadelphia for a historical experience instead of Boston. Philadelphia is between New York and Washington so you would save traveling time.

Boston is more interesting than Philly. I would do NYC, Boston, and DC. Amtrak from NYC to DC is around 3 hours. I would say most international tourists find Philly to be a bit boring compared to Boston and DC.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:10 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Boston is more interesting than Philly. I would do NYC, Boston, and DC. Amtrak from NYC to DC is around 3 hours. I would say most international tourists find Philly to be a bit boring compared to Boston and DC.
I agree, once past the Liberty Bell/Independence Hall and Betsy Ross's House the historic portion is pretty much done as the tourist area is quite compact. There are museums and other attractions but not enough to make it destination worthy in my opinion. The city has been trying to get visitors to stay beyond a half-day to day through massive advertising campaigns, but it's a tough sell.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:21 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,709,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Maybe, but Boston-NYC-DC trip is almost double the distance of NYC-Philly-DC trip. Not worth it if you have limited time imo.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:10 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,758 times
A word of advice from a lifetime NYer about traveling in December in NYC. It is really, really crowded during Christmas season. If you plan on coming to NYC, you better start making plans NOW. I would not be surprised if you cant find a hotel at a reasonable price that month.

Not trying to discourage you from visiting but there is no way you can do the whole East Coast in a week. Id stick to just two cities like everyone says. I will say this, coming from the West Coast you'll be surprised how quick, easy, and far you can travel on the East Coast by train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.