Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:57 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I look at it like this: If I'm coming to Philly, I want to see Philly. Just like if I'm coming to NYC, I want to see NYC. Telling me about NJ's great locations to also visit while you're visiting Philly to kill time doesn't do much for me. Don't get me wrong, I love my state and I love my Jersey Shore, but if I'm coming to Philly I'm coming to Philly. I need things to do in Philly, not outside of Philly. Especially if I'm on such a short schedule, like a week for two major cities. NYC and DC are really the only two (in question here on this thread) where you can do things endlessly for 4 days then still have way more left to do by the time you wanted to leave. I love Boston and Philadelphia is okay, but unless you're into history, there isn't all that much left to do compared to NYC. DC is historical, but this is our capital. Who doesn't want to go around and see everything possible?

If I'm coming to NYC (on limited time), I don't want to go to the Hamptons (unless I have extra time)…
I believe I was the one who first started the ruckus about visiting Philadelphia instead of Boston. To me it simply makes more sense for someone with limited travel time and a lot to see --- Philadelphia is simply between New York and Washington. And I noticed most other people agreed with me.

Now if it was October or early November I would probably suggest hitting New York and Boston. Fall is a big thing in New England and New York. Its not just the leaves, there are a ton of fairs and harvests. Its one of my favorite times of the year. But we need to keep in mind the OP is coming in December. I mean someone actually mentioned Cape Cod -- can you imagine suggesting to someone from sunny CALIFORNIA to visit Cape Cod in DECEMBER.

JerseyGirl - I agree with you that there is not enough time to visit many of the smaller towns or cities in the area. Also because its December, many things will be closed, especially in the towns and suburbs. The OP will probable be mostly hitting museums in the big cities plus shopping and maybe a Broadway Play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:09 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I look at it like this: If I'm coming to Philly, I want to see Philly. Just like if I'm coming to NYC, I want to see NYC. Telling me about NJ's great locations to also visit while you're visiting Philly to kill time doesn't do much for me.
Oh, I agree -- that post was just a response to another post discussing what there is to do in the Boston region. I was simply saying both cities have attractions region-wide.

But in a week's time, yes, it would be best to not venture too far off path.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I believe I was the one who first started the ruckus about visiting Philadelphia instead of Boston. To me it simply makes more sense for someone with limited travel time and a lot to see --- Philadelphia is simply between New York and Washington. And I noticed most other people agreed with me.

Now if it was October or early November I would probably suggest hitting New York and Boston. Fall is a big thing in New England and New York. Its not just the leaves, there are a ton of fairs and harvests. Its one of my favorite times of the year. But we need to keep in mind the OP is coming in December. I mean someone actually mentioned Cape Cod -- can you imagine suggesting to someone from sunny CALIFORNIA to visit Cape Cod in DECEMBER.

JerseyGirl - I agree with you that there is not enough time to visit many of the smaller towns or cities in the area. Also because its December, many things will be closed, especially in the towns and suburbs. The OP will probable be mostly hitting museums in the big cities plus shopping and maybe a Broadway Play.
Oh you're right, it does make sense. But I wouldn't spend more than 2 days there, tops. You're just taking time from the bigger cities with more to do and see overall.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:46 AM

9 posts, read 25,265 times
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I didn't realize this thread got so many helpful responses ( I set it to email notification but only received an email this morning)
I realize that NYC in Dec will be really crowded and the weather may prevent me from using the local transport there, and I just had a week in late september free up. Do you guys think its too late to start making plans for pate September?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:06 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondabar View Post
I realize that NYC in Dec will be really crowded and the weather may prevent me from using the local transport there, and I just had a week in late september free up. Do you guys think its too late to start making plans for pate September?
The weather shouldn't prevent you from using local transport, it'll just be colder. But no, you have enough time for late September, might be able to get better hotel deals. Search around. Late September may have the best weather of the weather of the year for the Northeastern cities. Plus, school is back in session so tourism is a little quieter than in summer.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
I'd go in late September!

Old 07-23-2013, 11:06 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I didn't realize this thread got so many helpful responses ( I set it to email notification but only received an email this morning)
Unless we happen to get a blizzard in December when you come (unlikely, though considering it's snowed here in October and November for the past 2 years, you never know), local transportation (I'm assuming you mean subways, buses, other trains and taxis, even airports, etc?) will not be affected. We're used to cold weather and snow, we get it every winter. It takes some pretty heavy snow or severe flooding or something like that to shut down anything in and around NYC, especially the subway.

While the holiday season in NYC is super crowded, I still enjoy going at that time. The sights in the city are so much more beautiful decorated for Christmas, and you can actually feel the spirit in the city. They decorate Manhattan in some pretty cool and festive ways, it's fun. Plus there's ice skating, horse and buggy rides through Central Park, wintery stuff like that.

You should be able to make plans for September still if you start soon. It's definitely a less busy time of year than later in the fall and early winter, during the holidays. The weather around here in September is beautiful. Still warm, but lacking the summer humidity, with a lot of sunshine and the beginnings of the change to fall.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 07-23-2013 at 11:16 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 09:09 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,343 times
Either Boston, Providence, Hartford, and NYC, or NYC, Philly, and DC. The sights in NYC are great during holiday season, but it's going to be quite crowded. Your choice as whether to visit there in September or December.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:47 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Do you guys think its too late to start making plans for late September?
Not at all. 2 months is ample time to plan your visit.

You will enjoy your visit to east coast cities in late September, unless there's a tropical storm during the week you're here. The weather on the east coast is a considerably less predictable than that of the California coast. That's why I'm letting you know about the possibility just in case. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.