Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:38 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,807,143 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm curious as to what cities in the Western US people think have a small town feel, yet still have a lot of amenities (like a major medical center). I'm looking to move out of Utah next summer, and I can't narrow down my list of choices. Part of this is because, ideally, I'd be able to move to a more remote small town, but because of my health needs, that's just not a choice. And it's difficult to think about moving to a larger city when I don't want to (but probably have to).

So, given the following criteria, what cities/large towns do you think have a small town feel?
  • Within about an hour's drive to a major medical center (one that is known for having a good cancer center would be a major bonus).
  • Not overly hot summers (I don't like SLC in large part because of the summer).
  • Good schools (my child will be entering high school at the time of the move, and she's currently in advanced classes).
  • I can handle the snow (although I'm not a fan of ice), but I'd rather not have too much more snow in the winter than SLC does (less or no snow would also be fine). I do live right up against the mountains, so snow doesn't scare me - just the idea of having to clear a few feet from my yard in the morning isn't fantastic (especially because one of my arms only functions at 50% strength).
  • Job availability. I work as an administrative assistant in the education field, and have in the past been an office manager of a non-profit. I can work for just about any kind of company, but the jobs have to be there to begin with. I do have a bachelor's degree.
  • A city/town where jobs are available within a fairly short commute (no more than 25 minutes each way).
  • A place that is green. Desert doesn't do it for me. I love seeing mountains and greenery around me. Nearby lakes for kayaking would be a bonus.
  • A place that doesn't have a massive pay disparity between men and women. I'm a single mother, and therefore, the only breadwinner in the family.
  • Hopefully a place where I could afford a home on about ten acres (for horses) for between $250,000 and $315,000.
I was raised in Northern California, and wouldn't mind going back. Unfortunately, the prices of homes are fairly high, and in the areas up around Placerville and Redding where prices aren't as expensive, it can get really, really hot. I'm thinking I'll probably need to end up within an hour of Portland, Seattle, Spokane, or the Tri-Cities, but I'd love if people could give me some new suggestions or suggest specific towns around the areas I've mentioned.

When I do move, I will most likely end up moving without a job already in place. It's risky, but it's also incredibly hard to get a job out of state (especially when applying for administrative assistant or office manager jobs). I'll have enough savings that I could get by for six months without a job (but obviously would like to find a job as quickly as possible).

I know there's a ton of these "Find the perfect spot for me" threads, so I appreciate the time anyone takes to answer yet another one.

EDIT: Forgot to say - the reason I want a place in the West is because my family and friends are from California and Utah, and I don't want to be too far away (plane tickets start to get too expensive).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 02:37 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,353,993 times
Portland comes to mind. It has most of the things you are looking for. But this also depends on how small of a city you want.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:45 PM

Ideally I'd like a city around just a few thousand people. The kind that is quiet, more rural, where people live on larger sprawls of land, and where you have to drive into "the city" to do any type of major shopping (even grocery shopping). But again, I'm not sure that's possible for me, since I would like to live within an hour of a major medical center. If the cancer comes back, it will be too inconvenient for me to have to travel far to get treatments.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:04 PM

10,729 posts, read 23,683,846 times
Spokane, WA. Mid sized city with enough services (medical and retail) that most anyone could need, plenty of green forests nearby (to the north and east of the city) and some of the best likes in the West in Northern Idaho within an hours drive. Check out Pend Oreille county in WA or Northern ID nearby for property.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-09-2013 at 05:14 PM..

Old 07-09-2013, 05:49 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,966,279 times
It's far from the best city in the West but El Paso has a small town feel but still a city (if you include it with Juarez, Mexico then it's a major city). However you view it....

Old 07-09-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
It's far from the best city in the West but El Paso has a small town feel but still a city (if you include it with Juarez, Mexico then it's a major city). However you view it....
OP doesn't want to live in the desert.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:48 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,102,954 times
Spokane and the Tri-Cities are going to give you more of SLC's geography than anything really green.

The biggest concern is going to be home prices. The PNW isn't cheap. Maybe somewhere like Everett, Bellingham, Olympia in Washington or Salem, Albany, or Eugene in Oregon?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:47 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,864,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Spokane and the Tri-Cities are going to give you more of SLC's geography than anything really green.

The biggest concern is going to be home prices. The PNW isn't cheap. Maybe somewhere like Everett, Bellingham, Olympia in Washington or Salem, Albany, or Eugene in Oregon?
Salt Lake is not in the same league as Spokane when it comes go greeness. Salt Lake is in a desert, Spokane is not. There are probably more evergreen forests adjacent to Spokane and moreso into North Idaho then in the entire state of Utah.
Spokane would be a good option.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
plenty of green forests nearby (to the north and east of the city) and some of the best likes in the West in Northern Idaho within an hours drive. .
typo correction, Northern Idaho has some of the best lakes in the West, to satisfy your request below

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
  • A place that is green. Desert doesn't do it for me. I love seeing mountains and greenery around me. Nearby lakes for kayaking would be a bonus.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
OP doesn't want to live in the desert.
I really couldn't stand to live in the desert. It's gorgeous, but it's just too hot and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post

I was worried about the Tri-Cities being a little too much like SLC (in terms of heat, dryness, etc.). I thought Spokane might be more green for the reasons below. I know the PNW isn't cheap. Good places to live usually aren't. I was thinking perhaps Salem and Eugene might be ok, because I think I'm priced out of the areas around Seattle and Bend (unless I go pretty far out).

Quote:
Spokane, WA. Mid sized city with enough services (medical and retail) that most anyone could need, plenty of green forests nearby (to the north and east of the city) and some of the best likes in the West in Northern Idaho within an hours drive. Check out Pend Oreille county in WA or Northern ID nearby for property.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Salt Lake is not in the same league as Spokane when it comes go greeness. Salt Lake is in a desert, Spokane is not. There are probably more evergreen forests adjacent to Spokane and moreso into North Idaho then in the entire state of Utah.
Spokane would be a good option.
Thank you. Spokane seems more and more like a good option.

Reading these threads, it also sounds like Colorado might be a possibility, but I don't really know much about it. I've read some threads about Colorado Springs, but is it dry and hot like SLC?

I've looked at Texas, just because I could probably afford a nice house on some land, and it seems like there are plenty of jobs, but I just don't think I'd be happy enough with the climate. Wherever I move to, I'm hoping it will be my last move. Obviously, life can be unpredictable, but since my kid will be entering high school and then college, I'm betting that wherever I go next will be where I stay for at least ten years (and moving out of state is such a hassle).

I've even looked at Arkansas, because I keep hearing people say that Little Rock is nice. The land does look gorgeous, but man, I think the humidity (plus distance to my family/friends) would be a killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.