Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:27 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,329,650 times

Advertisements

I would say the same thing of the A's fans I've seen at Yankees stadium. Why don't you guys know how to behave properly at a ball game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Yeah, they're disgustingly obnoxious at those games, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 12:50 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I would say the same thing of the A's fans I've seen at Yankees stadium. Why don't you guys know how to behave properly at a ball game?
Let's go Oakland Let's go!

JK...I guess some fans are pigs no matter which city we're talking about. About the Yankees fans here-in my experience they are usually wealthy suburbanites who drive BMWs and bring their kids so they can get a taste of what their dad used to do for fun when he was growing up on Long Island.

Generally very nice NYers but have become Californian too.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:49 AM

646 posts, read 805,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Yeah, they're disgustingly obnoxious at those games, too.
Yeah I think that's disloyal if they've moved there. Here in NY we have many Red Sox fans that are here during those rival NY/Boston games. But they are visiting or on convention or whatever.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallylady46 View Post
Southwest Florida (Sarasota, Naples, Ft. Myers) is home to many midwesterners. Many union retirees from the auto plants in Michigan moved to southwest Florida. There are northeasterners here too, but midwesterners make up the bulk of the non-native population.

South Florida and parts of eastern Florida (Ft. Lauderdale, Weston, Port St. Lucie, Palm Coast) is home to many northeasterners. Seriously, when I lived in Palm Coast, I felt like it was New Jersey with palm trees.

Generally the coastal regions of Florida have many midwestern or northeastern enclaves, while interior Florida has more of a native, southern, midwestern and northeastern blend.
Thats always been that way. The West Coast of Fl is made up of Midwesterners and Southernes, the East Coast was usually in South Fla an attraction to Northeasterner, mainly NJ, NY, Boston.

But I know quite a bit of NE who have settled in recent years to Naples, Ft Myeres, Sarasota, etc.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I have some examples of regional enclaves in other parts of the USA, at least in culture.

Southern enclaves: Cairo IL, eastern TX,
Northern enclaves: South Florida, Cary NC, Northern VA

I don't know why you'd suggest Northern Va, it's too big to be an enclave, and it's name doesn't mean what it might sound like.

The "Northern Virginia" armies fought the hardest during the Civil War againt the Union. It's a geographic term. and a historical term, it's not because people from the north came there and named it. IT's not the same at all however as what has occurred in South Florida, "Little Havana".

George Washington's home Mt Vernon is in Northern Va. He was a plantation and slave owner.

It still is inhabited by southerners but keep moving further out regardless of all the "Glenda Good Witch of the North" that have been transferred by the military or seek jobs there in recent decades.

Besides you'll not find too many Americans in NoVA at all anymore living and hardly worthy of being named "Northern". Northern What? Northern Pakistan, North India, North Korea, North El Salvador, Ecuador.

YOu have to go further out to find Caucasians of any stripe of the Red Badge of Courage.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:06 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,281,640 times
Many industrial Great Lakes cities have enclaves of African-Americans who come from the South or who derive from the South.

Enclaves of Northeasterners (esp. from NY, NJ, and PA) can be found in many Florida retirement towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.