Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:43 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times

Advertisements

I would assume the Smithsonian boosts the "Art transactions" in Washington significantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 12:14 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
More "creative vitality" in Hartford than in Providence!?

Suspicious.....

Old 07-11-2013, 12:33 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
What type of mind tries to quantify something that's qualitative? A very left hemisphere dominated person, I suppose.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:47 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,194,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I ran across this thing on the Minneapolis city website, I thought it was pretty interesting and they have the whole list so I thought I would post it here. The Creative Vitality Index (CVI) is an attempt to create a numerical basis for the comparison of different metro area's per capita creative economies. 60% of the CVI is based on the per capita revenues of arts related goods and services, 40% is based on per capita arts employment. The list is from 2010 and appears to be based on MSAs, these are the top 35:

1. Washington DC
2. New York
3. Los Angeles
4. San Francisco
5. Boston
6. Minneapolis - St Paul
7. Seattle
8. Denver
9. Salt Lake City
10. Austin
11. Las Vegas
12. San Jose
13. Portland
14. Hartford
15. San Diego
16. Milwaukee
17. Philadelphia
18. Columbus
19. Indianapolis
20. Chicago
21. Cleveland
22. Pittsburgh
23. Kansas City
24. Atlanta
25. Baltimore
26. Grand Rapids
27. Miami
28. Charlotte
29. Raleigh
30. St Louis
31. Cincinnati
32. Memphis
33. Houston
34. Phoenix
35. Duluth

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/gro...s1p-103117.pdf

Edit - I meant to put this in city vs city.
I have to confess to being impressed that Salt Lake City is rated number 9 and slightly better than Austin!

Old 08-25-2013, 03:01 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,194,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Big disappointment for Chicago too see its ranking bunched along with other midwestern cities on the list despite its size (How does Milwaukee have a more creative vitality than Chitown?). With all of the art institutions and big time art enclaves such as River North and Bucktown/Wicker Park, it deserves a much higher spot on this list. Interesting also that Baltimore, despite being close to DC is so much lower as well. Philadelphia is also a bit disappointing despite having University City/Old City and one of the best art museums and the Avenue of the Arts, and still show that these cities are Rust Belt/Manufacturing at heart. Houston is another disapointment for its size, despite the presence of NASA, though its more justifiable since it lacks a widely-known art scene like Austin has. I doubt its the hood areas that drag them down since NY, LA, and DC have their parts.
Chicago residents might want to spend less time arguing with New Yorkers (who probably don't really care, anyways) about which city has the best pizza and concentrate on creative pursuits in the future. LOL! I think most people still consider Chicago a great city...no worries!

Old 08-25-2013, 03:01 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
One of those lists that serve strictly to appease the Narnian cities.

They don't get this sort of mileage in NYC/LA/Miami.

Saying DC is more creative than LA, is sort of like being a Right-Wing liberal.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:55 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I have to confess to being impressed that Salt Lake City is rated number 9 and slightly better than Austin!
That would be because SLC has a higher % of either art "industry" professionals and/or spends more on theatre/opera/orchestras while Austin concentrates on real, beating-heart art creation. This is why these numbers are straight-up hilariously bad (in terms of what we're supposed to conclude) despite the fact that people will argue with me 'til the cows come home regarding them. SLC vs. Austin, which has higher creative vitality in reality? I think even most SLC'ers would agree it's Austin, and by quite a bit. This index is a joke. It tells you "things," but not what it purports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.