Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:34 AM

8,803 posts, read 10,241,183 times

Advertisements

I would have thought NC's would be Belks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 12:21 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

LOL. I had to copy the picture into another file and zoom in to find out what my state's most famous brand is!

(Campbell's)

Old 07-13-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Believe it or not KFC was actually founded in Utah. With that said I think the goal of this list was to list companies founded and still headquartered in that current state. Also how it is present in our Pop-Culture. Starbucks definitely is not the most important company in Seattle, but since Seattle is the Coffee capital, people know Seattle for Starbucks. Honestly the average america may not even know Costco, Boeing, or Microsoft were founded in Seattle.
I knew Boeing was in Seattle, but I don't associate coffee with Seattle at all or think of them as the Coffee Capital. I do think I vaguely knew that Starbucks is from there originally, but I don't care for the taste of Starbucks so it probably wasn't high on my memory list. However, I do recall seeing a place called "Seattle Coffee Company", and I wondered why on earth there would be a company with that name in New Jersey. So now I'm curious--what's the reference? Why would Seattle specifically be associated with coffee?

Old 07-13-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Then they failed. Saks for Alabama? Founded in NYC, currently headquartered in NYC. Only connection to Bama is a holding company for a few years. That holding company may have been founded in AL, but it is beside the point that Saks = NY, not AL.
Thanks. I saw that and didn't get it at all. Saks is a huge store on Fifth Avenue in NYC. Alabama?????

Old 07-13-2013, 12:40 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I knew Boeing was in Seattle, but I don't associate coffee with Seattle at all or think of them as the Coffee Capital. I do think I vaguely knew that Starbucks is from there originally, but I don't care for the taste of Starbucks so it probably wasn't high on my memory list. However, I do recall seeing a place called "Seattle Coffee Company", and I wondered why on earth there would be a company with that name in New Jersey. So now I'm curious--what's the reference? Why would Seattle specifically be associated with coffee?
Seattle was big behind the espresso boom in the United States. Starbucks, Seattle's Best Coffee, & Tully's are all Seattle brands.

Starbucks is far and away the worst of the Seattle area brands.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:49 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The add on what and said, Seattle is also known for our Cafe culture, like many European cities are. Due to the weather it helps influence getting up in the morning and buying a cup of coffee. Starbucks boom really branded seattle as a coffee city.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Seattle was big behind the espresso boom in the United States. Starbucks, Seattle's Best Coffee, & Tully's are all Seattle brands.

Starbucks is far and away the worst of the Seattle area brands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
The add on what and said, Seattle is also known for our Cafe culture, like many European cities are. Due to the weather it helps influence getting up in the morning and buying a cup of coffee. Starbucks boom really branded seattle as a coffee city.
Thanks to you both for the explanations. I never knew that.

A coworker had to spend a week in Seattle for a training session a few years ago. She really liked the city.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:22 PM

5,520 posts, read 8,766,208 times
Totally surprised that Verizon marks New York. It's a big brand, but moreso than the big media here like NBC, CBS, Time-Warner, or The New York Times? People hate those brands all over America!

And some of our financial companies and oldest baseball team are also standout brand names known nationally by almost everyone. The mere mention of Citibank, Goldman Sachs, American Express,or the New York Yankees causes many Americans' blood to boil.

Verizon is big and it is national and it us well-known. But it is hardly a brand name that screams made in New York.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:05 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Totally surprised that Verizon marks New York. It's a big brand, but moreso than the big media here like NBC, CBS, Time-Warner, or The New York Times? People hate those brands all over America!

And some of our financial companies and oldest baseball team are also standout brand names known nationally by almost everyone. The mere mention of Citibank, Goldman Sachs, American Express,or the New York Yankees causes many Americans' blood to boil.

Verizon is big and it is national and it us well-known. But it is hardly a brand name that screams made in New York.

NBC is now a comcast company, HQed in Philly

Old 07-15-2013, 11:55 AM

5,520 posts, read 8,766,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
NBC is now a comcast company, HQed in Philly
The criteria was that the company was founded in the state, so NBC would fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.