Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:49 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times

Advertisements

Ghengis is fooling you with his post. Don't take it seriously.

Having read everyone's posts, and your preferences, I would suggest: LA to SF driving along Highway 1. From there, I personally would continue along the coast through the Redwood forests, the Oregon Coast, to Bellingham. These will not be warm sunny beaches. You will not be dealing with any heat.

I agree with the suggestions that you should take the Alaska State Ferry to Alaska. Only visit the southern panhandle of Alaska. Driving to Alaska and visiting the rest of the state will consume too much of your time. Also, the Ferry Ride will give you a break from driving. Yes, I know you say you want the opportunity to drive for long stretches, but if you do only that for enough days, your butt will hurt, and each night all you will dream about is black asphalt and dashed yellow lines.

After taking your side trip via the boat to Alaska and returning to Washington, you could take a more interior route to reach your departure point back to Italy. You could drive through Idaho and the Snake River Valley, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, down through Utah, and take in some of the great scenery you will know from American Western films. The Utah State forum people could advise you which destinations you would enjoy most in that state. There are some remarkable national parks to choose from. From there, it depends on how much time you had left. Las Vegas would be on your way back to Los Angeles. Las Vegas may not be your cup of tea, but you don't have to spend a lot of time there. You could make a side excursion to the Grand Canyon, and then drive back to Los Angeles for your flight home.

Or you could take this route in reverse. Drive north via the interior route, and back to Los Angeles along the coast.

Finally, one tip or something you should expect. Americans dress FAR more casually than Italians. Plan accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 05:25 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times
On the other hand, European men wear MUCH shorter shorts than Americans. I work with tourists in my profession, and it's kind of a joke that whenever we see a man wearing shorts up to his yingyang it's almost definitely a European. Probably a German or Scandinavian, though.

And Italian men are known for showing way too much chest hair.

And Frenchmen stink. Not a lot of deodorant sold in France, I guess!

It's all a matter of humor, though, not really a big deal.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:01 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
I'm not sure why you stop in South Dakota when you can drive up to the next state and hit the beautiful Boundary Water wilderness, then go right over to Minnesota's north shore area and start the loop around Lake Superior, going through Wisconsin/Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, Upper Michigan Porcupine Mtns/Keweenaw/Huron Mtns/Pictured Rocks and down either Michigan's Lake Michigan shore (Sleepy Bear dunes, etc.) or keep going down Lake Huron and follow the Great Lakes around to Upstate NY and finally back to NYC. It's one of the most beautiful and remote areas of the country, and the Great Lakes are one of the hemisphere's great resources. Definitely more beautiful than the southern route along the Gulf and into the desert plains until you hit the Rockies, though it lacks major cities.
B/c I don't know the area as well and knew someone would have good advice! : )

Old 07-30-2013, 10:26 AM

41 posts, read 53,341 times
Hello again, please, forgive my absence.

@ wardwhirlboromarlpool1955: very interesting, but i'm not catholic ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
One of the top survival tips for living in the good ole' US and A? Be able to take a joke, no matter how low of a blow.
I will keep this in mind, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I think a trip from California up the coast to Alaska sounds like an enormous amount of fun. And just deciding to take off without too much planning and see what happens is the very best way to travel. If you encounter obstacles, just figure out the way around them!
Yes, that's the spirit! I will follow all of your suggestions and thanks for useful informations about Alaska... your post was really encouraging to me, i really appreciated it!

@ BigCityDreamer: definitely, i hope this will be only my 1st time in the US, but i'd like to see the other coast in the future

@ kettlepot & @601halfdozen0theother: i NEVER wear shorts

I would like to thank you ALL (forgive me if i can't reply to each single post) for your suggestions, but i didn't want hints about route ;-) ...let me do my own mistakes so i'll have a reason to come back!

I need to learn things about practical life but i admit this is too generic and i should ask specific questions hoping you will be as (or "so"?) patient to answer...

For example, i always heard that in US it's practically compulsory to leave a tip in places where you eat... is it true? ...in EVERY kind of place? ...also in fast food like McDonald's?

I'm not worried about money but i don't want to make a fool of me. I'm asking this because in Italy is not so usual to leave a tip where you eat. It's usual in luxurious restaurant or if you really appreciated the service, but if you go in a Pizzeria or in a Trattoria or in a Fast Food, most of customers doesn't leave a tip.

How does it works in the US? How can i know when it is "required"?

Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
Tips: (Food). If you sit down and someone takes order, bring it to you, You Tip. 15% is the 'starting' tip on the Food/Bev part of the check.

You don't tip the total that will include Sales taxes (5-10% added to the subtotal of the check.)

If you pay by credit card, you can just put in on the Tip line on the check, they will add it to your card, If Cash, normally you figure the tip, then round it up to the next dollar.

If the server is real good, or 5 star kind of place 20% is the tip amount.

Tip: Hotel, If you are in room for few day $5/day to the maid (or you made a big mess).
Taxi: 10% rounded up to next dollar.
SkyCap/Bellperson $1/per bag

Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingusa View Post
I need to learn things about practical life but i admit this is too generic and i should ask specific questions hoping you will be as (or "so"?) patient to answer...

For example, i always heard that in US it's practically compulsory to leave a tip in places where you eat... is it true? ...in EVERY kind of place? ...also in fast food like McDonald's?

I'm not worried about money but i don't want to make a fool of me. I'm asking this because in Italy is not so usual to leave a tip where you eat. It's usual in luxurious restaurant or if you really appreciated the service, but if you go in a Pizzeria or in a Trattoria or in a Fast Food, most of customers doesn't leave a tip.

You should tip 15% for lunch and 20% for dinner on the total order including tax at restaurants where you are dining in and being served. Better yet, simply tip 20% every time just to keep the math easier.

I know this is different from Europe, where people usually tip much less.

You do not tip at fast food places like McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, etc.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:07 AM

41 posts, read 53,341 times
Wow, sounds like complicated!

...should i leave tips also in motels? ... i didn't understand completely about paying with credit card: should i tell how much add to the total?

Old 07-30-2013, 11:43 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
Google Image Result for http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2280/2258931738_1b373c3501.jpg

is what a check with the tip line looks like.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:33 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,849 times
Quote:
Hello again, please, forgive my absence.

You never tip in fast food places like McDonald's. You only tip in situations in which you sit at a table and a waiter/waitress comes and takes your order, you eat, and the waitress gives you the bill in the end. Tip 20% if you thought the service was good--e.g. the waitress offered to refill your drinks, asked you if you needed anything else, etc. Tip 115-18% if the service was not very good. You should only tip less than 15% if the service was terrible. Remember, in restaurants, the waitress only makes money off of what you tip them. (This isn't true in California, but I believe the same tipping rules apply).

Quote:
Wow, sounds like complicated!

...should i leave tips also in motels? ... i didn't understand completely about paying with credit card: should i tell how much add to the total?
Leave a tip in the motel if you're there for a couple days. Leave a $5 bill on the table next to the tv and the maid will take it with her. If you're only there for one or two nights and you don't make a big mess, you don't need to worry about it.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:48 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times
Just to add a rural perspective:

The amount tipped very much depends on WHERE you are. In large cities and on the east and west coasts, 20% is expected. In smaller places, the amount has not gone up that high yet. 15% is pretty normal.

You only really have to tip at restaurants where someone comes to your table, takes your order, and brings food to you. Do NOT tip at fast food restaurants. Some cafes where a staff member only takes your order at the cash register but which do not have waiters have tip jars at the cash register; that is usually only in bigger cities.

You don't have to tip at all in chain or smaller motels or Bed and Breakfasts. You should leave a tip in the room at very nice hotels. On the route you're going, unless you're only staying at fancy places, you don't really need to leave a tip in the motel room/campground. Do NOT tip the desk clerk, unless they provide an extra special service for you. Actually, in America there are MANY more cheap and chain motels than fancy hotels, especially on the route you are taking.

Having said all of that, the more you tip the more people will appreciate you! Working people have to make a living! I personally do tip 20% no matter where I am, and go ahead and leave a couple of dollars in a motel room for the maid. However, I think tip jars at cash registers are awful, and I NEVER throw a tip in one. There are many people who disagree with me, though.

You should bring a little tent with you so that you can camp! Or buy one when you get here. You'll meet all kinds of nice and interesting people when you camp - more than if you stay in motels/hotels. And it will give you the option to really be in the wilderness and not just on the roads.

A useful thing to know is that in most places it is not legal to sleep in your car at "rest stops" or store parking lots. If you do, the police will come and make you leave. There are people who do this, though - it is called "stealth camping". Ask about this on the travel forum if you think you might want to do this.

In my experience, tipping is much more expected in Europe than in America. Ask some Canadians what they think!

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 07-30-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.