Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:22 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calilovin View Post
Once the population goes below about 6 million, they aren't even on the radar.
Hawaii is pretty strong on my radar, and many others from all over the world as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 04:23 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calilovin View Post
Once the population goes below about 6 million, they aren't even on the radar.
So 31 states aren't on the radar?

But yeah, that 6.5 million population of Indiana does make it more exciting than Colorado or Hawaii...

Old 07-15-2013, 04:35 PM

50 posts, read 61,954 times
Alaska some times drifts out of peoples minds like Hawaii because of its isolation from the rest of the country. Never drifts out of my mind but i have met people who dont know where they are.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:39 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
I'd say North Dakota by far.

South Dakota has Mt. Rushmore.

Idaho has potatos. They also have Boise State whose football team has been on the radar the past few years.

You hear at least something about Wyoming Cowboys football. Wyoming also has Yellowstone, Old Faithful and Jackson Hole.

Maine has lobster.

Alaska has grizzly bears and badass wolves. It's also the biggest state (geographically) so it's hard to forget about.

Delaware is known for corporations. And Joe Biden.

Arkansas produces decent football teams (last season excepted). Also known for the Clintons and Walmart.

Rhode Island is always remembered because it's the smallest state. And Family Guy. Also has an Ivy League School and the Tennis Hall of Fame.

Iowa is always on the radar during election years. Same with New Hampshire.

So yeah, I'd say it's North Dakota by a long shot. Never met anyone from there (except the fictional James Gatz). I don't think I've ever even seen a thread mentioning ND. No famous landmarks, universities, etc. I thought for a second that Harrison Barnes may have been from ND but Wiki says he's from Iowa. The most notable people from ND on Wiki's list are Paula Broadwell and Phil Jackson (don't think they can claim Teddy Roosevelt).

They do have the movie Fargo though.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:42 PM

50 posts, read 61,954 times
Also agreed on the Dakota's. Do not get much attention like the indian reservations there need.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:49 PM

I didn't think that much about North Dakota until recently but now it's a boom state with the oil fields... I've read like five different articles in national magazines this year about how much Williston, North Dakota has changed due to the influx of people from out of state trying to make money in the industry up there...

Old 07-15-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I didn't think that much about North Dakota until recently but now it's a boom state with the oil fields... I've read like five different articles in national magazines this year about how much Williston, North Dakota has changed due to the influx of people from out of state trying to make money in the industry up there...
I'm assuming these magazines were not...

Maxim
Sports Illustrated
GQ
Hustler
Men's Fitness

??

Old 07-15-2013, 04:56 PM

297 posts, read 472,795 times
utah and I almost forgot North Dakota was a state

Old 07-15-2013, 04:59 PM

I was gonna say Kansas but I just heard someone say "You're not in Kansas anymore" today.

Maybe Oklahoma gets the #2 slot after ND. There's Sooner football, but not a whole lot else that brings it into the popular consciousness.

I'd say West Virginia is #3. If you live in the DC area or Pittsburgh, it's on your radar, but I doubt anyone on the West Coast ever hears or thinks much about it.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm assuming these magazines were not...

Maxim
Sports Illustrated
GQ
Hustler
Men's Fitness

??
Nah, except for Sports Illustrated I don't think I've read any of those magazines since I was in my early 20s... Who needs Hustler these days with the Internet anyhow?

I'm talking about the Atlantic Monthly or The Economist or Business Week or National Geographic... Those are basically what I read, though I usually only read magazines when I'm flying somewhere.

Just saying that North Dakota has been in the new a lot lately with the whole US oil boom and the controversy over fracking...and with the amount of oil deposits in Bakken shale formation, the US could basically be energy independent. I never really though much about North Dakota before all these either, but now it's a place that people I know are actually considering for work for things like engineering jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.