Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2017, 04:33 PM
 
Location: West of Louisiana, East of New Mexico
2,916 posts, read 2,975,940 times
Reputation: 7036

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
If you honestly find Cobb County GA cold.........yeah I've got nothing. Also keep in mind Dallas actually has more cold snaps than Atlanta does. Their averages are warmer but Dallas sits in an area where they can get temperature extremes. Could be 70 the one day and 30 the next. That's pretty common for Dallas in the winter. Personally I prefer North Georgia to Texas and Florida, in most aspects. I like the rolling hills and forest of North Georgia, far superior to flat boring Florida. If I'm being honest I think North Georgia has better weather than Texas and Florida but that's personal preference.

I'm a native Texan but have to agree about the weather. I enjoy our crazy *** weather, but generally speaking, I'd imagine Georgia to be nicer in that regard. Texas and Florida have mind-numbing summers that probably last longer than Georgia's.

As far as TX vs. FL in the crappy weather Olympics? I'll go with TX since we have more variety with our crappy weather. Desert heat, humid heat, blizzards in the Panhandle, freak ice storms (Super Bowl 2011 anyone?) and the usual tornadoes, hurricanes etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2017, 07:09 PM
 
Location: South Padre Island, TX
2,452 posts, read 2,274,623 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I'm a native Texan but have to agree about the weather. I enjoy our crazy *** weather, but generally speaking, I'd imagine Georgia to be nicer in that regard. Texas and Florida have mind-numbing summers that probably last longer than Georgia's.
Incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2017, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
9,818 posts, read 7,823,685 times
Reputation: 9980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Incorrect.
In regards to North Georgia it is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2017, 05:32 PM
 
Location: South Padre Island, TX
2,452 posts, read 2,274,623 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
In regards to North Georgia it is correct.
Not if the comparison is with corresponding latitudes in Texas. While Texas will have more potent heat in the summer, the duration is similar to length as in North Georgia; fall fronts reach both areas at about the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2017, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
9,818 posts, read 7,823,685 times
Reputation: 9980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Not if the comparison is with corresponding latitudes in Texas. While Texas will have more potent heat in the summer, the duration is similar to length as in North Georgia; fall fronts reach both areas at about the same time.
Wrong. Elevation alone makes a major difference. North Georgia also experiences occasional breaks in the heat when weather 'Wedges' form south of the Appalachians.

We just had one two weeks ago that lasted a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2017, 05:50 PM
 
Location: South Padre Island, TX
2,452 posts, read 2,274,623 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Wrong. Elevation alone makes a major difference. North Georgia also experiences occasional breaks in the heat when weather 'Wedges' form south of the Appalachians.

We just had one 2 weeks ago that lasted a week.
Northern Texas (especially the Panhandle) can see breaks from heat as well, in times where a low pressure trough is able to penetrate.

But, the overall point is that the window for summer in North Georgia is no less than similar latitudes in Texas; both start getting fall cold fronts at the same time-frame. And its the same for all of Georgia compared to corresponding latitudes in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2017, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
4,420 posts, read 6,236,328 times
Reputation: 3796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Northern Texas (especially the Panhandle) can see breaks from heat as well, in times where a low pressure trough is able to penetrate.

But, the overall point is that the window for summer in North Georgia is no less than similar latitudes in Texas; both start getting fall cold fronts at the same time-frame. And its the same for all of Georgia compared to corresponding latitudes in Texas.
I think you mean certain parts of Texas. It's a much larger state that goes further North than GA does and much further South than GA does. The Rio Grande Valley will have completely different weather than Amarillo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2017, 06:28 PM
 
Location: South Padre Island, TX
2,452 posts, read 2,274,623 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I think you mean certain parts of Texas. It's a much larger state that goes further North than GA does and much further South than GA does. The Rio Grande Valley will have completely different weather than Amarillo.
I'm aware of that. The point still stands, though, that for areas that correspond, the window of summer heat is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2017, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
2,502 posts, read 2,173,287 times
Reputation: 3784
It really depends on where in GA. My sister lives in the ATL area and I live in DFW which is where we both grew up. She thinks the summers in both those area are pretty equal in their miserableness. While the actual temperature might be higher for me she feels the higher humidity where she lives equals them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2017, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
4,420 posts, read 6,236,328 times
Reputation: 3796
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
It really depends on where in GA. My sister lives in the ATL area and I live in DFW which is where we both grew up. She thinks the summers in both those area are pretty equal in their miserableness. While the actual temperature might be higher for me she feels the higher humidity where she lives equals them out.
True. I moved to Dallas from Atlanta and totally agree with that comment. The hot and warm weather times of year do last longer in Dallas though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top