Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:00 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
The Phoenix area specifically Tempe is really your best option if you want affordability, low humidity, and close to outdoor recreation. Hiking you can do right in the city with mountains literally on all 4 sides of you. Snowboarding and forest/woods is just a couple hours north of Phoenix in the higher elevations.
She's going to hike in 100 degree temperatures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,518 times
2nd Dallas/Ft.Worth

Old 07-23-2013, 05:19 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
UC Denver, U of Denver, and Johnson and Wales are all pretty large universities in the area.

I think that for the pertinent characteristics listed they are similar, no? You disagree that Nashville has mild summers and winters, good universities, vibrancy, outdoor activities like hiking close by, but slightly fewer walkable neighborhoods and a smaller airport than Atlanta?
No offense but the Denver schools are not on par with the lowest of the low of the University of California system. For instance, UC Davis (near Sacramento) is ranked better (#38) than either of those (U Denver #83, UC Denver is #189).

Compare to DFW area (SMU #58), Houston (Rice #17), Atlanta (Emory #30, GA Tech #36), Nashville (Vanderbuilt #17) and the Denver area doesn't compare favorably academic-wise. CO Springs on the other hand has the Airforce Academy which is one of the premier schools in the country but the airport is terrible.

I think Sacramento really fits the bill.

Phoenix is not a good choice either, ASU is ranked #139. Tucson fares slightly better, UA ranks #120, but still not stellar.
Florida is not a wise choice academic-wise, unless she chooses Gainesville.

I'm thinking New Orleans would be a good fit, Tulane ranks #51, Baton Rouge (LSU ranks #134) would be a good bet if the OP wanted real cheap and a lot of culture.

Last edited by cBach; 07-23-2013 at 05:30 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 05:31 PM

42 posts, read 68,128 times
If you work from home, but aren't looking for an expensive place to live then why not choose a suburb? San Diego is pretty much constantly warm, but I'm sure if you chose to live in Escondido or Temecula you might even up paying less, not sure though. You might want to just consider traveling and then choose the place to live.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:14 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
I think it's hilarious how the same cities keep popping up no matter what criteria is listed.
That's because they are the up and coming cities of America today. They are the best places to be in your twenties and on the cutting edge of culture. Not only that, they offer a great quality of life for people looking to settle down as well. You really can't go wrong with those cities.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
That's because they are the up and coming cities of America today. They are the best places to be in your twenties and on the cutting edge of culture. Not only that, they offer a great quality of life for people looking to settle down as well. You really can't go wrong with those cities.
Not when the OP SPECIFICALLY says she does not want the features offered by Portland or some of these cities showing they are not a good fit for her. And have you ever been to Portland yourself? How do you know? I live in Portland. Are you aware of the economy, the weather, the COL, the job situation? These do not fit everyone's circumstances. All you continue to do is throw out vague comments that say nothing to the person looking for real information.

You certainly can go very wrong choosing Portland if it is not the right city for you. I don't care what your age is. The same goes for the other cities. Your reasoning is unfounded.

I am going to lay down a challenge for you. I want you to tell me SPECIFICALLY the features you are touting as to why Portland is the right place to be for those people in their twenties you have been telling it was regardless of what they have stated they were looking for like this OP. And I want you to back this up by showing proof facts rather than what comes off the top of your head.

I want to hear why you recommended Portland SPECIFICALLY for the OP even though she stated she was looking for low rent and sunshine. Why are you saying Portland is up and coming? I am not saying it isn't but I want you, since you always recommend it and therefore must be such an expert on it, to give me the reasons why.

I also want you to tell me why twenty somethings should be overlooking the various economic, political, structural and social Portland problems is facing when considering relocation here. These may not affect new transplants but they certainly should be aware they exist. So you better let them know what they are.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:34 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
No offense but the Denver schools are not on par with the lowest of the low of the University of California system. For instance, UC Davis (near Sacramento) is ranked better (#38) than either of those (U Denver #83, UC Denver is #189).

Compare to DFW area (SMU #58), Houston (Rice #17), Atlanta (Emory #30, GA Tech #36), Nashville (Vanderbuilt #17) and the Denver area doesn't compare favorably academic-wise. CO Springs on the other hand has the Airforce Academy which is one of the premier schools in the country but the airport is terrible.

Phoenix is not a good choice either, ASU is ranked #139. Tucson fares slightly better, UA ranks #120, but still not stellar.

I'm thinking New Orleans would be a good fit, Tulane ranks #51, Baton Rouge (LSU ranks #134) would be a good bet if the OP wanted real cheap and a lot of culture.
No offense taken! I just thought I'd mention what schools are there. And you've given a nice rundown of universities but it's probably not that big of a deal. At least for me, if I'm looking to attend guest lectures and concerts it probably matters very little weather that's happening at UC-Davis, U of Denver or U of Florida. The caliber of resources in the Top 100 don't vary that much for students, much less guests who are just visiting the campus for a couple hours.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:15 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

I think we need to be careful with the criteria. The OP doesn't necessarily need an academically superior university, but one that has cultural offerings. I don't think that's going to be a problem for any of these schools.

The OP wanted lots of sunshine and low humidity, which rules out anything in the east (people are listing cities in the South when there's lots of humidity there!) Dallas might be dry enough, but Houston, Atlanta, New Orleans, Nashville, or anywhere in Florida is going to be much more humid than Ohio is. Therefore, if we include affordability and major airports as well, that pretty much restricts us to Denver, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and Las Vegas. My guess is that Denver is the "safest" bet, followed by Salt Lake City (since the OP likes snowboarding) and then Phoenix (by "safe" I don't mean crime, but a city that would otherwise fit in with what the OP is looking for.)

Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I think we need to be careful with the criteria. The OP doesn't necessarily need an academically superior university, but one that has cultural offerings. I don't think that's going to be a problem for any of these schools.

The OP wanted lots of sunshine and low humidity, which rules out anything in the east (people are listing cities in the South when there's lots of humidity there!) Dallas might be dry enough, but Houston, Atlanta, New Orleans, Nashville, or anywhere in Florida is going to be much more humid than Ohio is. Therefore, if we include affordability and major airports as well, that pretty much restricts us to Denver, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and Las Vegas. My guess is that Denver is the "safest" bet, followed by Salt Lake City (since the OP likes snowboarding) and then Phoenix (by "safe" I don't mean crime, but a city that would otherwise fit in with what the OP is looking for.)
I would venture to agree with you regarding Denver. I do not live there but from what I have seen of it I think it has what she is looking for.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:40 PM

591 posts, read 820,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Yes, you can go very wrong with all of those cities if you like year-round warm weather and warm saltwater beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.