Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,272 times

Advertisements

honestly, the best thing to do is just go. stop thinking about "what's best" and just live in the moment. to learn, one must experience. some things can't be taught. get out of this web blog, stop considering things and grab your favorite 3 items, pack a bag and about $1000 in cash and go. I'm about to turn 31 and have been homeless before. it's great if you keep a job somewhere that doesn't mind you smelling like the ocean or BO. surfshack(real one, not commercialized bull****), dishwasher/cook in a beach town, ding repair warehouse or factory(be prepared to have fiberglass arms fuh dayz) or just like a barback or custodian. your job doesn't need to be pretty, you're a wanderer. do it well and don't get too crazy into the drug scene and you'll be fine...oh yea, **** cellphones and anything like it dude. nobody needs that crap. if you're still stuck at home and scared of leaving without a plan, read the book: "Delaying the Real World: A Twentysomething's Guide to Seeking Adventure." I also recommend watching "180 degrees South." look, it's quite simple. any decision is better than none, so go out there and be somebody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 10:48 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSimmsJr View Post
First off, I just found this site recently and I have been reading alot on the boards, and have found this site to be very helpful.

I'm 20 years old and I want to pick up and leave home and just pick a beach that has a tropical climate and has a lot of night life for teenagers and tweenty year olds, ect. and just move there.
But the area must also be affordable for any 20 year old to live at.

My point of just picking up and leaving my home town would be for me to be able to go to somewhere where I can find myself and discover what I wanna do with my life.
I'm thinking about working at a hotel and working a deal out with the hotel manager for me to get a room to live in for free as partial pay. I would also like to take a job as a waiter at night to get cash money (tips). Or something at night to give me extra money.
I figure living in a hotel would be very economical and I could always pick up and move to another city or state because I won't have an apartment or anything to tie me down to a legal binding contract, ect.

So I am wondering what other peoples thought are of my idea and if they have any advice for me.

Also if anyone works at a hotel or has experience/connections with hotels and could tell me if it would be easy for me to find a hotel/resort that would be willing to work out such a deal with me. I figure that hotels usually have vacancies every night and this would be a chance for them to fill a room up for the night and pay me less money. It could be like a win-win for everyone.

Also, does anyone have any ideas on what beaches would be best for me to move to. I want a beach area that has a warm climate year round, whether its the East Coast, West Coast or Gulf Coast. It doesn't really matter much to me at this point. It must be a town that is easy accessable by foot/bcycle/city bus in case I decide to do away with my Jeep.
Also the area must not be too pricey, as I am 20 years old and will be living by myself away from everybody back home.
Whatever you do, wherever you go--make sure you have more
than enough money stashed away for the unexpected.
Don't be thinking you'll get a job right away- sometimes things don't always go as planned.
Expect the unexpected, or you're going to be homeless faster than you know it.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:41 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSimmsJr View Post
...I'm 20 years old and I want to pick up and leave home and just pick a beach that has a tropical climate and has a lot of night life for teenagers and tweenty year olds, ect. and just move there.
But the area must also be affordable for any 20 year old to live at.

My point of just picking up and leaving my home town would be for me to be able to go to somewhere where I can find myself and discover what I wanna do with my life.
I'm thinking about working at a hotel and working a deal out with the hotel manager for me to get a room to live in for free as partial pay. I would also like to take a job as a waiter at night to get cash money (tips). Or something at night to give me extra money....

Also, does anyone have any ideas on what beaches would be best for me to move to. I want a beach area that has a warm climate year round, whether its the East Coast, West Coast or Gulf Coast. It doesn't really matter much to me at this point. It must be a town that is easy accessable by foot/bcycle/city bus in case I decide to do away with my Jeep.
Also the area must not be too pricey, as I am 20 years old and will be living by myself away from everybody back home.
Daytona worked for me

Didn't need to work because I managed by on my GI Bill and there were a number of financial options while going to the local Community College and learned a trade.

I did know one guy who was a caretaker at apartment complexes, primarily taking care of the pool and grounds, would imagine those kind of places (rather than a hotel) would be able to offer reduced rent. You wouldn't want to live at a hotel anyways...too many drunken 20 year olds hang out there making noise.

Can get a bit cold in the winter but almost never below freezing.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:40 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Anywhere in Florida. Miami would be best for your age, or Fort Lauderdale, Panama City Beach, Daytona Beach. Normally I would recommend Southern California or Hawaii, but they are just too expensive.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrytown View Post
Somewhere on the Gulf, east of the Mississippi you'll find the countries most beautiful beaches.
I guess you have never been to Hawaii then...

Old 07-26-2014, 12:43 PM

Normie and Belmar...the OP said he wants somewhere with warm weather. NJ and Delaware have snowy and cold winters. I doubt the OP wants to put up with that.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:43 AM

268 posts, read 430,506 times
When I was younger, I lived on Maui and sent some time in the Willing Workers On Organic Farms program. WWOOF. They have programs all around the world, including I think the mainland US. You work and receive food and board in return. Sometimes you earn a little money.

On Maui, I stayed on the farm for a little and then found a restaurant job. I was poor, but it was a blast and I'd recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:41 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobiandbail View Post
honestly, the best thing to do is just go. stop thinking about "what's best" and just live in the moment. to learn, one must experience. some things can't be taught. get out of this web blog, stop considering things and grab your favorite 3 items, pack a bag and about $1000 in cash and go. I'm about to turn 31 and have been homeless before. it's great if you keep a job somewhere that doesn't mind you smelling like the ocean or BO. surfshack(real one, not commercialized bull****), dishwasher/cook in a beach town, ding repair warehouse or factory(be prepared to have fiberglass arms fuh dayz) or just like a barback or custodian. your job doesn't need to be pretty, you're a wanderer. do it well and don't get too crazy into the drug scene and you'll be fine...oh yea, **** cellphones and anything like it dude. nobody needs that crap. if you're still stuck at home and scared of leaving without a plan, read the book: "Delaying the Real World: A Twentysomething's Guide to Seeking Adventure." I also recommend watching "180 degrees South." look, it's quite simple. any decision is better than none, so go out there and be somebody!
Love this post!

Old 07-27-2014, 12:43 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaFriday View Post
When I was younger, I lived on Maui and sent some time in the Willing Workers On Organic Farms program. WWOOF. They have programs all around the world, including I think the mainland US. You work and receive food and board in return. Sometimes you earn a little money.

On Maui, I stayed on the farm for a little and then found a restaurant job. I was poor, but it was a blast and I'd recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat.
Yeah WWOOF seems like it'd be right up the OPs alley.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:57 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,069 times
This thread is 7 years old people. The OP is probably a homeless bum in Venice by now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.