Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 04:35 PM

395 posts, read 1,375,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

Well, with Indy growing twice as fast as St. Louis metro, it may happen, but not for a long, long time. St. Louis metro is at 2.8 million, while Indy is at 1.7 million.
That is a GREAT site. Thanks! It seems that it's BIRTH numbers that add the most impact, as well as domestic migration. Big cities like Chicago and Boston are losing TONS of people, but sustained by low death rate and HUGE birthrate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 11:29 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
Dude we go to st. louis all the time. It's a good time there. Why are you so surprised about your city being visited. I'm actually surprised Indianpolis got so many visitors. I guess, they have a large amount of conventions and sporting events. Maybe Indy is a better city (culturally, entertainment, and vibrancy) than St. Louis, I'm still debating that in my head...

It's funny to cause stl is getting close to 3 million MSA, and Indy is approaching 2 million. I can see Indy overtaking st. louis to be the more substantial city of the midwest if stl doesn't get its act together...
You can think whatever you want...who are you to judge me and my opinions and claim your's are the correct ones? I don't care if you think Indy is better than STL or not....good for you...congrats, good luck with debate..just leave me out of it. Didn't you say yourself that I shouldn't be comparing cities with my city? Why are you now doing the same thing? Is it right for you to do it but somehow wrong for me? Why am I so surprised about my city being visited like it is...I guess because I never thought that it had as many attractions as places like Miami, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Detroit, Denver, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, or Seattle had...I guess that does leave a lot of room for the medium-large cities/MSA's. Anyways...please stop questioning my opinions...I shouldn't have to explain my opinions to anybody unless they happen to be false claims, which they usually are not, not in this case. Maybe it's because I've lived here for 21 years and I guess maybe living in any city for 22 years gets old after awhile. Whatever

Old 11-13-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
You can think whatever you want...who are you to judge me and my opinions and claim your's are the correct ones? I don't care if you think Indy is better than STL or not....good for you...congrats, good luck with debate..just leave me out of it. Didn't you say yourself that I shouldn't be comparing cities with my city? Why are you now doing the same thing? Is it right for you to do it but somehow wrong for me? Why am I so surprised about my city being visited like it is...I guess because I never thought that it had as many attractions as places like Miami, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Detroit, Denver, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, or Seattle had...I guess that does leave a lot of room for the medium-large cities/MSA's. Anyways...please stop questioning my opinions...I shouldn't have to explain my opinions to anybody unless they happen to be false claims, which they usually are not, not in this case. Maybe it's because I've lived here for 21 years and I guess maybe living in any city for 22 years gets old after awhile. Whatever
I think you should move outside of St. Louis after your done with college at SLU and live outside of st. louis for at least 5 years to appreciate the city. HIGHLY recommended. That's what I was told. My cousins and I always have city conversations. They said the greatest thing they did about learning more about their city was moving away from it for a while. I learned to love Chicago after moving to other cities, even for a few months.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:58 AM

572 posts, read 1,995,552 times
ajf131 relax. I don't think chitown was attacking you or your opinion. I think it's great chitown comes here and has a good time. STL has a lot to offer. It has as good or better institutions (zoo, museums, sports, history, etc.) than Seattle, Dallas, Houston, Denver.

Indy has a long way to go before it catches St. Louis. I don't feel they ever will but they are doing things right. They seem more agressive, better organized, have state backing for their programs. St. Louis is getting it's act together, we're slow but it's gaining momentum.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:15 PM

146 posts, read 797,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
ajf131 relax. I don't think chitown was attacking you or your opinion. I think it's great chitown comes here and has a good time. STL has a lot to offer. It has as good or better institutions (zoo, museums, sports, history, etc.) than Seattle, Dallas, Houston, Denver.

Indy has a long way to go before it catches St. Louis. I don't feel they ever will but they are doing things right. They seem more agressive, better organized, have state backing for their programs. St. Louis is getting it's act together, we're slow but it's gaining momentum.
Add to that the fact that you have Washington University, one of the best universities in the nation! I hear so much negative about St. Louis, mostly because the crime, but I have loved the city every time that I have visited (which is sadly only three times). I plan on heading back out that way at some point to peruse the city some more.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:58 PM

My cousins are from there. it's probably the best time 5 hours away from Chicago hands down and my favorite city in the Midwest outside of Chicago. It's a great city. That's what I was telling afj, it's a great time! And it's been better in the past 5 years than ever (or since 1904).

Thanks st. louie louie. I don't think Indy can even compare with St. Louis to be honest with you. But indy does seem to be growing a lot, attracting more domestic migration.

St. Louis keeps losing migration. WHY? That's why st. louis needs to unite and start being more agressive with its progression. Or cities like Indy will take over. That's what I was saying. Not really an insult but kind of an eye opener that a city like Indy will take its place if st. louis continues business as usual.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:01 PM

It would probably easier too for st. louis if the state would back it up more...and you guys have the whole wierd county-city thing right? Like st. louis is its own city and st. louis county is its own.

Why they hell don't you unite them? Im going to look at population figures if they would merge.. Seems so pointless to be separated. That's like saying cook county separates from chicago, and chicago becomes only its downtown.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:12 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
It would probably easier too for st. louis if the state would back it up more...and you guys have the whole wierd county-city thing right? Like st. louis is its own city and st. louis county is its own.

Why they hell don't you unite them? Im going to look at population figures if they would merge.. Seems so pointless to be separated. That's like saying cook county separates from chicago, and chicago becomes only its downtown.
No, not really. Chicago is a city in Cook County. Cook County can't separate from Chicago (I doubt they would want that to happen, too). Chicago is also the seat of Cook County.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:40 PM

572 posts, read 1,995,552 times
St. Louis is an independant city. So is Baltimore.
The city and county should merge for several reasons. But not just have St. Louis city be the county seat but become one gov't. In fact I think the whole metro area should combine under one gov't but that a whole different thread.
St. Louis would become a city of about 1.4 mil. But that doesn't really mean anything, except that it may have more clout.
It would mean that services would be combined, gov't would be streamlined, and it might mean that people would feel more connected.
NIMBYism is stopping it but it may slowly start to change.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:50 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
St. Louis is an independant city. So is Baltimore.
The city and county should merge for several reasons. But not just have St. Louis city be the county seat but become one gov't. In fact I think the whole metro area should combine under one gov't but that a whole different thread.
St. Louis would become a city of about 1.4 mil. But that doesn't really mean anything, except that it may have more clout.
It would mean that services would be combined, gov't would be streamlined, and it might mean that people would feel more connected.
NIMBYism is stopping it but it may slowly start to change.
It's never going to happen. The other cities are too large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.