Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:23 PM

99 posts, read 569,899 times

Advertisements

Upper Class to Upper Middle
Bowie, MD (Mitchellville area especially) - Very affluent
View Park in CA (part of 90043) - Very black - Very affluent
Ladera Heights in CA (90056)
Olympia Fields, IL
Baldwin Hills in LA (part of 90008) - Very black (Standard bearer in LA)
Ft. Washington, MD
Cascade Heights & Collier Heights area of Atlanta (30331) - Very black (Cheap by LA, DC or NY standards.)

Middle Class
Altadena, CA (less than 50% black)
Stone Mountain, GA
Lakeview, NY
Carson, CA (90746 only)
Southfield, MI

The price of a house in Bowie, MD; View Park, Ladera Heights would buy a house in Atlanta's Buckhead. Although Bowie is one of the most affluent, you get more land & house for your money than in the LA towns. A resident from any of these towns would be amazed by how little one gets in View Park, Baldwin Hills or Ladera Heights for the money spent in other affluent black areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 09:40 PM

321 posts, read 720,393 times
Parts of New York City

Old 11-20-2009, 05:07 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
country club hills Illinois

Old 07-29-2010, 03:42 PM

99 posts, read 569,899 times
View Park & Windsor Hills, Los Angeles (part of 90043)
Ladera Heights, Los Angeles (all of 90056)
Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles (90008)
Olympia Fields, IL
Mitchellville, MD
Ft. Washington, MD
Cascade Heights, Atlanta

To a lesser extent in terms of either money or percentage of blacks

Stone Mountain, GA
Southfield, MI
Carson, CA (90746)
Queens, NY
Altadena, CA (mostly white)
Bowie, MD (mostly white)
Oakland Hills, CA (mostly white)

Old 07-29-2010, 05:05 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
DC or Baltimore. Their is a high-crime rate in both but 95% of it is contained to certain areas. Both areas are integrated and all races can choose any area that they wish to live in.
-------------------------------------------
I strongly disagree because the nice areas of both Cities are in the non black areas.
not true at all.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 PM

614 posts, read 1,763,911 times
I wish i could say Chicago but I can't. They all turn into druglords and murderers.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:14 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
Default Don't understand

I know this is not the debate page but I would not ever move to a city based on that line of questioning alone. Yes, those questions would be the most likely starting point but it would NOT be my determining factor. All points should be considered. For example:

Job
Family
Weather
Population density
Cost of living
More and more.

My long winded point, there are several factors to consider before such a move. With that said, I will take the bait...Atlanta. My minimal research shows Atl has a good size AA population. More importantly, I've meet some fine azz AA women while I was there, too. Go Atl!!!

Old 05-26-2012, 05:05 PM

367 posts, read 940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Personally, I never believed in racism and thinking that all black neighborhoods are poor. I guess because I knew about Ladera Heights. Latino neighborhoods OTOH! Can anyone name me one majority Latino neighborhood that could be comparable to places previously mentioned on this thread? With Latinos being such a high % in the US, it's amazing that no majority Latino neighborhoods are considered upper-class, with only a handful even in middle-class.
Not true, come to Miami.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:21 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
If I were Black (African American) and wanted to move I would like to live in a City or town that is dominated by people like me. What is the nicest City or town that is dominated by African American people?
Yes, they do exist. Theres more than you may think. Most tend to keep very low profiles b/c they are oftentimes located outside of less affluent problem areas that receive more attention than them.

This is the BEST website for finding locations like this;
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com
(You can view racial makeups and median household income on this interactive map)

Here are many of the higher/middle income predominately black areas in the USA;
- Most of the Outer-Beltway of PG County, MD.
- Southeastern Oakland Hills in Oakland, CA.
- DeSoto, TX
- Stone Mountain, GA
- Southeastern Queens, NYC and several scattered areas on Long Island, NY
- Willingboro, NJ especially south of Rancocas Rd
- Palmer Woods, Detroit, MI
- Olympia Fields, IL
- Forest Park, Oklahoma
- Ladera Heights, View Park-Windsor Hills and Baldwin Hills in Los Angeles, CA
- Hillcrest, NY

There are probably many more. These are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Keep in mind that middle class black areas don't nearly represent the majority of the American black middle class. Most middle class black people actually scatter themselves out throughout middle class white neighborhoods or even less affluent black areas so don't fool yourself into thinking financially stable black ppl are rare.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 05-26-2012 at 06:51 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 06:28 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
chicago, atlanta, dc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.