U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2015, 06:49 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,752,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I don't see how secession would benefit the South in any conceivable way in the year 2015. Most Southern states are dependent on federal funds to survive and take in a disproportionate amount of federal tax dollars at the expense of high income, prosperous states that give more than they get back such as Colorado, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and California.
This is one of the more ridiculous posts I have seen on this board, you really need to start reading some more about life outside of minnesota. The south and sunbelt is where people are relocating and moving to, where jobs are being created and homes are being sold. The Southern states make up around 35 percent of the US economy and the region that provides the largest percentage of economic growth for the nation, routinely the last few years over 40% of the nations economic growth.

The populations of the Northeast and Midwest regions have stagnated ( your state minnesota, despite growth in minneapolis , is losing population every year and has been for quite a while Minnesota's youth exodus spells trouble ahead for labor force - StarTribune.com)

The South and West have actually been booming. The South alone is 50 percent of the housing market in housing starts. Alot of liberal groups used a wallethub report to try and say out how red states were more dependent on federal government money, they of course didn't mention how alot of that included money spent on the military enlistees and veterans and the south and alot of the red states have the majority of enlistment in the military and the largest number of military bases, not to mention the federal research. Without the red states who is going to make up the military, blue states and effeminate hipsters from minneapolis and portland?

if you want to talk about about actual public assistance programs and not military pensions, farm subsidies,federal research money etc which most liberals conveniently never mention when talking about red states and federal money, many of those so called "prosperous" states that have their tax dollars taken as you put it, actually have the highest rate of people on public assistance because their state set lower standards for eligibility "Eighteen states and the District of Columbia had higher public participation rates than the national average in 2012, with Alaska, California, Maine, Oregon, Vermont and Washington having among the highest rates". Updated Information on Households Receiving Public Assistance

wikimedia commons graph

The South is now the country’s most populous region and its largest economic area, sunbelt cities like Atlanta Research triangle area, Nashville, San antonio, Dallas Austin and Houston are some of the top cities for STEM jobs in the country and I havent seen a survey in years that isnt dominated by southern metros for job and population growth.

I hate the idea of any state or states seceding after what we have seen in bosnia and that kind of balkanizing could happen all over this country, there are secessionist movements in almost every state in this country and there are secession movements all around the world.

one thing is for certain is that the the whole liberal northeast power structure, especially the media, certainly doesnt reflect the reality of the population numbers and population growth in this country and the media and the left in this country is certainly divisive and really fomenting alot of hatred in this country
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 11:21 PM

4,423 posts, read 5,208,350 times
Plain truth is the differences between the north and the south are minimal at best when compared to other countries.

We share a culture of fervently dividing ourselves from each-other for one example...

So there are some linguistic differences... and that's about where it really ends. Everything in Alabama exists in Rhode Island; everything in California exists in Tennessee; etc. Ratios vary, sometimes wildly, but all cultures in this country exist in all states somewhere. Because we are one nation like it or not.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:17 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,084,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Plain truth is the differences between the north and the south are minimal at best when compared to other countries.

We share a culture of fervently dividing ourselves from each-other for one example...

So there are some linguistic differences... and that's about where it really ends. Everything in Alabama exists in Rhode Island; everything in California exists in Tennessee; etc. Ratios vary, sometimes wildly, but all cultures in this country exist in all states somewhere. Because we are one nation like it or not.
The difference between Massachusetts and Alabama is absolutely enough to constitute a separate nation.

What you're saying is the equivalent of saying there are minimal at best differences between Scotland and England when compared to other countries, therefore Scotland should not have independence. There is enough of an identity in Scotland to constitute a nation.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-16-2015 at 03:27 AM..

Old 10-16-2015, 05:23 AM

2,396 posts, read 3,274,765 times
Last I checked this is not Scotland or Britain!

Believe it or not, there are similarities between MA and AL. They absolutely belong in the same country! I know that you don't believe me but there are hard core liberals in AL as well as hard core conservatives in MA.

Both states have some differences, yes, but that is one thing that makes this country great and believe it or not, holds us together. I know plenty of hard core, pure, deep south southerners who go up to MA and a couple other New England states for a couple month's out of the year and love it. Likewise, I know some stereotypical New England "Yankees" who spend month's in the deep south and love it there as well. Everybody are friends.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:30 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,623,451 times
I think there are more similarities to the north and the south than there is between the west and the south or the west and the north. I think if America was to become more than one country, it would be more likely for it to be divided by east west rather than north south

Old 10-16-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Last I checked this is not Scotland or Britain! Believe it or not, there are similarities between MA and AL. They absolutely belong in the same country! I know that you don't believe me but there are hard core liberals in AL as well as hard core conservatives in MA.
You're ignoring the point. There are similarities between Scotland and England, but there is more than enough of a contrast to justify partition.

Every single extreme leftist area in the South is filled with Yankees. A powerless minority of leftists in Dixie doesn't override the fact that New England is controlled by them, not Dixie.

Quote:
Both states have some differences, yes, but that is one thing that makes this country great and believe it or not, holds us together.
Diversity is not a strength. Never has been, never will be.

Quote:
I know plenty of hard core, pure, deep south southerners who go up to MA and a couple other New England states for a couple month's out of the year and love it. Likewise, I know some stereotypical New England "Yankees" who spend month's in the deep south and love it there as well. Everybody are friends.
I loved my trip to Canada but I wouldn't want to share a government with them.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-16-2015 at 08:36 AM..

Old 10-17-2015, 06:49 AM

Thank god only a teeny, tiny and very small amount of people share the same views as you do. Once again, the "hardcore" southerners I know are full of American pride, as in the complete USA. Again, look at all the southerners in our military.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Thank god only a teeny, tiny and very small amount of people share the same views as you do. Once again, the "hardcore" southerners I know are full of American pride, as in the complete USA. Again, look at all the southerners in our military.
There's hardly a "teeny tiny" minority of people who identify as Southerners. Additonally, 1/4 of Americans surveyed (the national equivalent of 75 million people) sympathizing with the Confederacy is not what I consider a tiny minority.

Your personal association with Southerners who love America does not invalidate my argument that Dixie has every right to independence. It only means the Southerners you know are Republican voters who don't know any better.

CNN/OPINION RESEARCH CORPORATION POLL -- APR 9 to 10, 2011
Question 48
When you think about the Civil War, if you had to choose, would you say that you sympathize more
with the northern states that were part of the Union or the southern states that were part of the
Confederacy?

Total Men Women White Non-White
----- ----- ----- ----- ---------
Union 67% 71% 64% 65% 73%
Confederacy 23% 20% 27% 25% 20%
Both 2% 3% 1% 2% 1%
Neither 4% 3% 5% 4% 3%
No opinion 4% 3% 4% 4% 4%
Sampling Error +/-3.5 +/-5.0 +/-5.0 +/-4.0 +/-8.0

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-17-2015 at 01:19 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
There's hardly a "teeny tiny" minority of people who identify as Southerners. Additonally, 1/4 of Americans surveyed (the national equivalent of 75 million people) sympathizing with the Confederacy is not what I consider a tiny minority.
I stated that there is only a teeny, tiny bit who agree with you, NOT that are southerners. Paleeeeze! This is great comody!!!

Quote:
Your personal association with Southerners who love America does not invalidate my argument that Dixie has every right to independence. It only means the Southerners you know are Republican voters who don't know any better.
I love how you bring up those who don't agree with you just don't know any better. Como on now, I thought you implied southerners stick together. I guess republican as well as liberal southerners don't fit your definition.

Quote:
CNN/OPINION RESEARCH CORPORATION POLL -- APR 9 to 10, 2011
Question 48
When you think about the Civil War, if you had to choose, would you say that you sympathize more
with the northern states that were part of the Union or the southern states that were part of the
Confederacy?

Total Men Women White Non-White
----- ----- ----- ----- ---------
Union 67% 71% 64% 65% 73%
Confederacy 23% 20% 27% 25% 20%
Both 2% 3% 1% 2% 1%
Neither 4% 3% 5% 4% 3%
No opinion 4% 3% 4% 4% 4%
Sampling Error +/-3.5 +/-5.0 +/-5.0 +/-4.0 +/-8.0
You do realize that this is one poll in regards to the Civil War - way, way, wayyyy back in the early 1860's. EIGHTEEN SIXTEES! Wow! Yes, I understand this poll was a modern poll but it was asking who a few would sympathize with way back in that civil war time, (long before any of us were born).

Guess what, if that poll had of come around and asked me, I would claim to "sympathize" with the confederacy OF THAT ERA. An era LONG GONE! This is the modern era in which someones thoughts of the long gone confederacy don't line up with. Different times. Accept that. Let go! The fighting ended long ago. Sorry, but you do realize it's over! Don't you?

As I stated before, southerners and northerners are friends now. Have been for a long, long time! Part of the same country. They intermingle. Many own houses in both regions! They share a good bit of the same culture. If you don't believe that, step out of the US for a bit and look at it from a foreigners point of view. We're not Scotland and England. We are the USA. Funny, step out of the US and you too, become a Yank. Every bit a Yankee as one from Vermont.

I guess you would like all who don't side with you to leave the south and never visit the region (kind of stated that to one poster) so you and the few others who share your views can live in your fantasy version. Better chance of inventing a time machine and going back to the civil war as it seems you'd me much happier in a time and place where you can go kill yourself some Yankees from that evil neighboring country that is occupying your territory.

Pur comics. I love this site!

Old 10-18-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I stated that there is only a teeny, tiny bit who agree with you, NOT that are southerners. Paleeeeze! This is great comody!!!
1/4 of Americans sympathizing a secessionist movement is not a "teeny tiny" minority of people.

Quote:
I love how you bring up those who don't agree with you just don't know any better. Como on now, I thought you implied southerners stick together. I guess republican as well as liberal southerners don't fit your definition.
I don't see what Southerners sticking together and me questioning the validity of a political party has anything to do with anything. I love Southerners and I know they mean well, but I do not think Republicans serve Southern interests. Simple as that.

Quote:
You do realize that this is one poll in regards to the Civil War - way, way, wayyyy back in the early 1860's. EIGHTEEN SIXTEES! Wow! Yes, I understand this poll was a modern poll but it was asking who a few would sympathize with way back in that civil war time, (long before any of us were born).
Once again, the year in which the Civil War occurred is besides the point and is not the topic of the survey. 1 in 4 Americans say they sympathize with the Confederacy. The point being that 1 in 4 Americans sympathize with a secessionist movement.

Quote:
Guess what, if that poll had of come around and asked me, I would claim to "sympathize" with the confederacy OF THAT ERA. An era LONG GONE! This is the modern era in which someones thoughts of the long gone confederacy don't line up with. Different times. Accept that. Let go! The fighting ended long ago. Sorry, but you do realize it's over! Don't you?
I'm having trouble understanding you here. You like to ramble incompetently. The survey was in 2011, not 1860. 1 in 4 Americans in 2011 say they sympathize with a secessionist movement. That's the point. Do I have to repeat myself 300 times before it sinks in? Have you been smoking too much pot on the boat?

Quote:
As I stated before, southerners and northerners are friends now. Have been for a long, long time! Part of the same country. They intermingle. Many own houses in both regions! They share a good bit of the same culture. If you don't believe that, step out of the US for a bit and look at it from a foreigners point of view. We're not Scotland and England. We are the USA. Funny, step out of the US and you too, become a Yank. Every bit a Yankee as one from Vermont.
Here you go again missing simple points. The point I made in regards to Scotland and England is that they are both united under the United Kingdom, but Scotland still has an identity and a right to independence. This is essentially the argument I'm making for Dixie. Dixie has an identity and a right to independence.

Quote:
I guess you would like all who don't side with you to leave the south and never visit the region (kind of stated that to one poster) so you and the few others who share your views can live in your fantasy version. Better chance of inventing a time machine and going back to the civil war as it seems you'd me much happier in a time and place where you can go kill yourself some Yankees from that evil neighboring country that is occupying your territory.

Pur comics. I love this site!
Is it really such a bad thing when the majority of people in a nation in which artists such as Nicki Minaj and Macklemore can make millions of dollars aren't like you?

But let's not pretend I'm the only person who supports independence when tens of millions of Americans sympathize with a secessionist movement.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-18-2015 at 04:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.