U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:02 PM

320 posts, read 496,788 times

Advertisements

Yes they are different cultures but are in the same country. For example, Mississippi is a southern state that doesn't have much in common with the northern state Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 01:17 PM

462 posts, read 613,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Most of the differences in this country are between rural and urban life. Generally the south is known as a more rural area and the north is known as more urban, though the opposite is just as true.
I don't think that really applies as much as it did 100+ years ago. I do think that Southern cities tend to be more medium-sized and sprawled while the Northern cities are more compact and large. That's why the south, in spite of having just as many people as the North, and West, has fewer major league professional sports teams and other big city amenities. Additionally, suburban areas of major southern cities tend to be less incorporated than ones up north.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:44 PM

2,396 posts, read 3,280,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
I don't think that really applies as much as it did 100+ years ago. I do think that Southern cities tend to be more medium-sized and sprawled while the Northern cities are more compact and large. That's why the south, in spite of having just as many people as the North, and West, has fewer major league professional sports teams and other big city amenities. Additionally, suburban areas of major southern cities tend to be less incorporated than ones up north.
That's why I stated that the opposite is true as well. It just seems that the south's ruralness is always brought up with many forgetting that up north is not much different. Look at NY and PA again, two large states that are mostly rural though it seems a lot think of them as NY city or Philadelphia only. Though I've never been, I picture New England being mainly rural as well with many picturesque small towns. The south has it's share of urban areas as well.

As far as culture, we share general American culture. Both regions love football. Both celebrate Thanksgiving and there will probably be a turkey or Ham on the table in either place. Maybe both. There are NASCAR tracks in both regions as well. many similarities.

True, there are some differences as well but spending much time out of the US among Ex-pats and travelers from both regions we all have the same traditions, dress the same, listen to the same music and will generally order the same general menu items as well.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:19 PM

10 posts, read 48,297 times
Quote:
I think there is a fairly generic "American" culture (after all US citizenship allows free to interstate travel and emigration), but like any franchise, there are regional brands and flavors. If The USA becomes too big to stay together, it may split up into balkanized nation states. This little montage of maps may give one a clue as to how it will be split up.
Don't you think that race would be a factor if the US balkanized?

Old 07-23-2013, 04:33 PM

10,062 posts, read 10,320,348 times
It isn't only a division between the North and South. It is a division between rural and urban.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:32 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,727,795 times
Quote:
You forget to understand many people left overcrowded cities in the north and moved to the south.I don't think most people would like to live in New York even people in New York moved to the suburbs .

You may be young and like urban living but when you get older you will want a house .

Old 07-23-2013, 11:50 PM

14,852 posts, read 18,624,168 times
We all have alot in common and alot of family in the south so no it is not as divided as you want us to be.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:26 AM

10 posts, read 48,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
We all have alot in common and alot of family in the south so no it is not as divided as you want us to be.
I don't have a personal opinion in this issue. It's just that the concept of patriotism is a bit vague to me(coming from a part of the world were ethnicity is the uniting factor), so I wan't do learn more.

Last edited by Caesar Johansen; 07-24-2013 at 01:40 AM..

Old 07-24-2013, 03:53 AM

5,974 posts, read 9,385,740 times
Quote:
You forget to understand many people left overcrowded cities in the north and moved to the south.
And a couple of generations earlier many from the south moved north for jobs. So there is a lot of cultural mixing and no clear boundaries.

Interesting thing about accents - I've heard people interviewed on national TV or radio and my ears would perk up - sure enough they were from my immediate region - less than 30 miles away. So even within a southern or northeastern accent there are variations.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:46 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,710,523 times
Southern values revived - Salon.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.