U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 09:44 PM

7,536 posts, read 8,181,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlst View Post
The Civil War sides map is inaccurate. Missouri and Kentucky were border states that ultimately sided with the Union.

Missouri was invaded and a northern state government imposed upon it. Kentucky tried to stay out of the war, but furnished troops to both sides. Missouri furnished troops to both sides. I wouldn't exactly call them loyal union states, more accurately they were divided, deeply divided. Culturally both states have southern traits to this day. Kentucky is more southern than Missouri today, in fact only northern KY has northern traits. As you drive up I-75 you find that sweet tea is no longer part of most menu's as you approach Cincinatti. It is then that you know you have left the South. When the waitress asks you what kind of "pop" you want you know you are not in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 06:23 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,085,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Oh please. Many of the most patriotic Americans and much of our military is from the south! And look around at some of the large southern cities and some of the northern rural areas. There really isn't a yankee/left vs southern/right divide. There is an urban/left and a rural/right divide. Actually, this left/right divide is one of the things that has kept this country great over the years. One side keeps the other in check! What a genius idea!

Going back to the beginning of this older thread. No, we are not different. We actually do get along great with each other. But on a forum such as this there will always be one or two who vocally put down the other. Just look back at 9/11 and whenever there is a crisis. We all stand together. An older song by Charley Daniels (God bless America Again) states it perfectly, and that was from the 70's.
Imperial American patriotism common in Dixie today is the outcome of decades of brainwashing in American History courses by the US Dept of Education. It's not as if Southrons are taught two sides to a story and make this decision to support the American Empire for themselves. It's really all they're taught now. They love Dixie but love America as well, a nation that stands against the South in every way. It makes no sense for a Southron to love both the South and what it stands for and America at the same time because the American Empire is responsible for the destruction of the Dixie that "American patriots" in Dixie claim to hold dear.

"The hatred will never cease,
Even now that there's peace
The feelings will run as deep
as the scars we bear"

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-11-2015 at 06:31 AM..

Old 10-11-2015, 06:45 AM

2,396 posts, read 3,278,602 times
Dude, you need help. That war ended 150 years ago and the whole country has moved on.

I have lived in the south. In assorted areas. There isn't any brainwashing there making them love the US. They love the US because they are a part of it. Just like anybody from up north. Out west. We're all the same. We eat the same foods, drink the same drinks, listen to the same music, have the same laws, visit each other on vacations,speak the same language and fly the same flag!

Old 10-11-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Dude, you need help. That war ended 150 years ago and the whole country has moved on.

I have lived in the south. In assorted areas. There isn't any brainwashing there making them love the US. They love the US because they are a part of it. Just like anybody from up north. Out west. We're all the same. We eat the same foods, drink the same drinks, listen to the same music, have the same laws, visit each other on vacations,speak the same language and fly the same flag!
Southrons stand traditionally in opposition of federal government. Tell me how a population claiming to be skeptical of the US government can at the same time support it (or think that they can actually reform it) without being brainwashed? Even after their great grandparents died fighting for their independence. But I don't blame them for not knowing any better. I used to be an "American patriot" too.

Yes, country music may be listened to in the North but it is a Southern genre and just because there is a Cracker Barrel in Connecticut doesn't mean Southrons and Yankees eat the "same food." Even deep frying the Thanksgiving turkey is uniquely Southern. Additionally, note that the first true Thanksgiving was actually in Virginia on December 4, not New England.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-11-2015 at 07:31 AM..

Old 10-11-2015, 08:44 AM

I have done extensive traveling up and down the coast and can assure you that in practically any restaurant I go into the menu's are basically the same as a similar type of restaurant in another part of the country. There may be a few items that are different. As an example, with seafood (such as shrimp, clams and crabs) is that SC on south it will probably be boiled but by the time you get to VA it will usually be steamed.

And I don't really care if a turkey is deep fried (personally my favorite way) or baked but I can assure you that there will be one at practically every dinner come Thanksgiving! Along with a good possibility of a ham, regular mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (possibly mashed with marshmallows), stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, green beans, corn, pumpkin pie, domestic bear, cokes and tea, both sweet and unsweet!

Walk down the isles of a grocery store and they are very similar and sell practically the same items no matter what part of the country your in.

Have friends over to a cookout pretty much anywhere in this country and you can bet that nobody will complain if you your having hot dogs, hamburgers, steaks, ribs and chicken. Throw in some potato salad, coleslaw, baked beans and a couple of coolers full of domestic beers and cokes and all will be happy.

Go to a mall anywhere in the country and most of the stores will be the same, including the food courts.

Strip malls? Everywhere as well with the same stores. gas station/convenience store? Set up the same way.

As far as country music? I really don't care if it is mainly from the south. (a large part is from the west as well) It is mainstream now as IMO it is the new Rock (or southern rock to be more precise) BTW, I grew up on country in the 70's as it was popular where I was from. BTW, there are many country singers from the more northern states as wel and even from Canada! And many other genres of music have their roots in the south but are popular all over the US.

And once again, whatever you and your buddy say about "southrons", you might as well replace with rural as people in the rural south are pretty much the same as people from the rural north Likewise, the same can be said about cities. So basically, someone from rural Alabama isn't much differen't and doesn't have much different beliefs then someone from most of Pennsyvania! And those Atlanta liberals probably aren't much different then those from New York City!

Old 10-11-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I have done extensive traveling up and down the coast and can assure you that in practically any restaurant I go into the menu's are basically the same as a similar type of restaurant in another part of the country. There may be a few items that are different. As an example, with seafood (such as shrimp, clams and crabs) is that SC on south it will probably be boiled but by the time you get to VA it will usually be steamed.
Familiar items are bound to be seen in an empire riddled with chains but to say that Southern cuisine and Yankee cuisine are the same confirms your ignorance.

Quote:
And I don't really care if a turkey is deep fried (personally my favorite way) or baked but I can assure you that there will be one at practically every dinner come Thanksgiving! Along with a good possibility of a ham, regular mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (possibly mashed with marshmallows), stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, green beans, corn, pumpkin pie, domestic bear, cokes and tea, both sweet and unsweet!
You can pick out the items with your eyes closed that will be on the menu in Dixie. Although I celebrate a proper Thanksgiving on December 4.

Quote:
Walk down the isles of a grocery store and they are very similar and sell practically the same items no matter what part of the country your in.
This is because the US is teeming with chain stores and bulk manufacturing. You will find similar items in England and New Zealand usually manufactured by a company in Europe or Oceania.

Quote:
Have friends over to a cookout pretty much anywhere in this country and you can bet that nobody will complain if you your having hot dogs, hamburgers, steaks, ribs and chicken. Throw in some potato salad, coleslaw, baked beans and a couple of coolers full of domestic beers and cokes and all will be happy.
Rarely do I have hot dogs on the grill for a cook out but you will find these basic items being used in Australia and Canada. The real difference lies in the cooking methods of items more advanced than hot dogs.

Quote:
Go to a mall anywhere in the country and most of the stores will be the same, including the food courts. Strip malls? Everywhere as well with the same stores. gas station/convenience store? Set up the same way.
All chains.

Quote:
As far as country music? I really don't care if it is mainly from the south. (a large part is from the west as well) It is mainstream now as IMO it is the new Rock (or southern rock to be more precise) BTW, I grew up on country in the 70's as it was popular where I was from. BTW, there are many country singers from the more northern states as wel and even from Canada! And many other genres of music have their roots in the south but are popular all over the US.
Country is a Southern genre period.

Quote:
And once again, whatever you and your buddy say about "southrons", you might as well replace with rural as people in the rural south are pretty much the same as people from the rural north Likewise, the same can be said about cities. So basically, someone from rural Alabama isn't much differen't and doesn't have much different beliefs then someone from most of Pennsyvania! And those Atlanta liberals probably aren't much different then those from New York City!
Hm, I've lived in the rural north (Maine) and they are much more leftist than Southrons. Rural Yankees who are not outright leftists pride themselves on being "libertarian" fence sitters.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-11-2015 at 03:14 PM..

Old 10-11-2015, 02:56 PM

33,204 posts, read 30,521,672 times
The fact of the matter is that many elements of both Southern and Northern culture have been exported to other parts of the country over the years; American culture as a whole is quite homogenized. You can get sweet tea at plenty of places outside of the South these days, and you certainly can find bagels just about everywhere. Genres of music like country, jazz, and rock 'n roll were born in the South but are hardly identified solely with Southern culture these days.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:27 PM

America is becoming indistinct because the US is an empire occupying much of the North American continent enabling free movement of people, jobs, culture and the ability of people 3,000 miles away to decide who governs another group of people 3,000 miles away.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:42 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,303,041 times
Joeyg. I disagree with you on country music. Eddie Rabbit was from Brooklyn. Gretchen Wilson is from Illinois I believe.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Joeyg. I disagree with you on country music. Eddie Rabbit was from Brooklyn. Gretchen Wilson is from Illinois I believe.
There are many country singers, from the early years through the modern era that aren't from the south. many of the classic ones are from out west. I don't call CA, Wy, AZ, NM etc southern. Likewise there are many from the north central, mid Atlantic and northeast as well. Again, it may have technically had it's birth in the south but it sure spread all over and practically replaced rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.