Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2023, 10:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

There's a huge difference in The Deep South vs Upper South vs. Southwest, rural vs city, black, white, Hispanic, etc.

For instance, I have lived in the South most of my life and have lived in NE Texas for nearly 30 years. Some NE Texans will tell you proudly that they are "part of the deep South" but they are not. They are south WESTERN compared to what to me is the Deep South. And I never will forget going down to south Texas along the Frio River and some guy telling me that he was definitely NOT Southern - in a deep southern accent. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 09:31 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Exactly. Although suburban is a little murky and mixed up in places. I think to many dyed-in-the-wool urban folks, southern and country, as in country music, are mostly the same. They might think "country" before "southern" when they encounter someone obviously from the south. Those labels carry certain connotations that could prejudice the attitudes of those involved. Is Dolly Parton country or southern? What about Oprah Winfrey? What about Jason Aldean, Jimmy Carter, Paula Dean, and Julia Roberts? Many college students from southern states are making an effort to lose their southern accents as they feel that a certain amount of baggage is implied with that accent. At the same time, I know of some people who intentionally exaggerate their southern accents.
There is still a difference between a rural northerner and a southerner that is from the suburbs or the city though.

Old 11-02-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There's a huge difference in The Deep South vs Upper South vs. Southwest, rural vs city, black, white, Hispanic, etc.

For instance, I have lived in the South most of my life and have lived in NE Texas for nearly 30 years. Some NE Texans will tell you proudly that they are "part of the deep South" but they are not. They are south WESTERN compared to what to me is the Deep South. And I never will forget going down to south Texas along the Frio River and some guy telling me that he was definitely NOT Southern - in a deep southern accent. Oh well.
To me no part of texas is the “Deep South” but I would consider all of texas the south.

I will drop this discussion now though cause we don’t need another “is texas the south” discussion. Lol!!!

Old 11-02-2023, 04:20 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's pretty silly reasoning as there are several religious bodies in the South that have an episcopal form of government, and the first Baptist church in the U.S. was in the North. I think you have to come stronger than that.
People promoting the south always try to make this point about regional differences in religion. If that is all they got, they ain't got much. That is simply a quaint superficial artifact that means nothing.

What are the actual values that are different from one region to the next? I mean today, not some fairy tale notions told for generations trying to somehow claim superiority.

Essentially all there is that matters are minor and variable diminishing language dialects, preferred food, some political opinion differences, and some distant ancestral points of origin.

Old 11-02-2023, 04:29 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,730,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
To me no part of texas is the “Deep South” but I would consider all of texas the south.

I will drop this discussion now though cause we don’t need another “is texas the south” discussion. Lol!!!
East Texas is pretty Deep South, but most of Texas isn’t. What’s lost on a lot of people is how huge Texas is - it’s around 800 miles from my part of Texas to El Paso, and you pass the 20” annual rain line in doing so. It’s geographically huge, straddles a major agriculture delineator, and it would apparently be the 40th largest COUNTRY in the world. You can’t really put it in any one category, though I still think it’s appropriate to say it’s southern, writ large.

Anyhow, I do think that southerners and northerners are as much different from each other as Canadians are from us as a whole, so in a sense I think there’s an argument about them being different nations.

Old 11-03-2023, 06:05 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I don't consider any part of Florida to be northern. Just because it's not typically southern didn't make it northern.
Other than maybe ten square miles, I’d say Florida is no different than any other southern state

Old 11-03-2023, 06:50 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:

Tyler, Texas is southwestern to you? What is Shreveport?

Old 11-03-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
People promoting the south always try to make this point about regional differences in religion. If that is all they got, they ain't got much. That is simply a quaint superficial artifact that means nothing.

What are the actual values that are different from one region to the next? I mean today, not some fairy tale notions told for generations trying to somehow claim superiority.

Essentially all there is that matters are minor and variable diminishing language dialects, preferred food, some political opinion differences, and some distant ancestral points of origin.
The south has more of an honor culture and people have a British way of speaking in which they say things they don’t really mean, as if to avoid confrontation. Eg “bless your heart”

People are also friendlier with their neighborhoods. It is not uncommon to move to a new place and have 5 of your neighbors knock on your door or bake you a cake. This doesn’t happen in the north. I don’t know if this is due to less immigrants eg everybody knows everybody going back or some kind of old british custom.

People in the north are colder and more in a hurry. Less willing to stop to help somebody out. In places settled by Scandinavians the people are especially cold and it is considered rude to say hi to random people in public. In the south you are almost rude if you don’t do that.

Old 11-03-2023, 07:18 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:

For instance, I have lived in the South most of my life and have lived in NE Texas for nearly 30 years. Some NE Texans will tell you proudly that they are "part of the deep South" but they are not.
Quote:
They are south WESTERN compared to what to me is the Deep South.
And I never will forget going down to south Texas along the Frio River and some guy telling me that he was definitely NOT Southern - in a deep southern accent. Oh well.
I'm still trying to figure out what's WESTERN about East Texas. Do you consider Northwest Louisiana and Southeast Arkansas southwestern?

Old 11-03-2023, 07:27 AM

I’m not op and I don’t know how to define “southwestern” but to me there is a big difference between the Deep South of rural Mississippi and Alabama and Tyler, Texas. I think Tyler is definitely southern but I wouldn’t call it the Deep South personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.