Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2023, 10:10 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

Tyler is more southeast to me Imo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2023, 10:44 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
It is certainly more traditionally southern than, say, midland.

Old 11-03-2023, 11:30 AM

1,347 posts, read 876,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
If the South was its own country, it would almost certainly be a slightly less extreme version of Gilead in The Handmaid's Tale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
The south has more of an honor culture and people have a British way of speaking in which they say things they don’t really mean, as if to avoid confrontation. Eg “bless your heart”

People are also friendlier with their neighborhoods. It is not uncommon to move to a new place and have 5 of your neighbors knock on your door or bake you a cake. This doesn’t happen in the north. I don’t know if this is due to less immigrants eg everybody knows everybody going back or some kind of old british custom.

People in the north are colder and more in a hurry. Less willing to stop to help somebody out. In places settled by Scandinavians the people are especially cold and it is considered rude to say hi to random people in public. In the south you are almost rude if you don’t do that.
It's not rude to say hi in the upper midwest.

Old 11-03-2023, 04:24 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Quote:
The south has more of an honor culture and people have a British way of speaking in which they say things they don’t really mean, as if to avoid confrontation. Eg “bless your heart”

People are also friendlier with their neighborhoods. It is not uncommon to move to a new place and have 5 of your neighbors knock on your door or bake you a cake. This doesn’t happen in the north. I don’t know if this is due to less immigrants eg everybody knows everybody going back or some kind of old british custom.

People in the north are colder and more in a hurry. Less willing to stop to help somebody out. In places settled by Scandinavians the people are especially cold and it is considered rude to say hi to random people in public. In the south you are almost rude if you don’t do that.
I am not sure about the "honor culture" argument and how that makes things friendlier or nicer in the south. One definition of the Honor Culture is that it is a culture of retribution. Are differences or potential confrontations just left to smolder until they become serious?

Quote:
In calendar year 2019, 48.7% of all murders and nonnegligent manslaughters were committed in the South, compared to 20.8% in the Midwest, 19.3% in the West, and 11.2% in the Northeast (FBI, 2020a).
I have to say that I have not experienced much of what you characterize as "northern" traits outside of mega-cities where it is mostly a city thing. I suspect you would find the same in south Florida or Atlanta or similar places. A southerner might be trampled on the sidewalk in NYC. It would also probably be interpreted as being nosey if five of my neighbors showed up spontaneously when I moved into a new neighborhood. Northerners might simply wait until the newcomer feels like visiting.

Regarding Texas -- Texas is too big to try to pound into one or two categories. Maybe the part adjacent to Louisiana would be more southern than any other part. Most of Texas is just Texas. If you parachuted someone from South Carolina into the middle of Texas they would not recognize much southern-ness. I don't recognize much southwestern either. Mostly Great Plains or Western as in Wyoming or maybe eastern Colorado?

Old 11-03-2023, 07:21 PM

4,377 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
I’m not op and I don’t know how to define “southwestern” but to me there is a big difference between the Deep South of rural Mississippi and Alabama and Tyler, Texas. I think Tyler is definitely southern but I wouldn’t call it the Deep South personally.
I mean there's a big difference between rural Alabama and a city like Montgomery,AL or Huntsville, AL. There's a difference between Tyler and an actual rural town like Center, TX. So not a good point

Old 11-03-2023, 08:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Yes. They are different nations. The Mason Dixon line splits the confederacy from the union

Old 11-03-2023, 08:35 PM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Other than maybe ten square miles, I’d say Florida is no different than any other southern state
Florida is so southern. I found that out earlier this year. Even in Miami, its very international but in the "real" Miami and not the heavily commercialized and tourist areas, there's a huge southern influence

Old 11-04-2023, 06:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Tyler, Texas is southwestern to you? What is Shreveport?
Tyler, Texas is southern but not DEEP SOUTH to me. Shreveport is in Louisiana.

Old 11-04-2023, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what's WESTERN about East Texas. Do you consider Northwest Louisiana and Southeast Arkansas southwestern?
Shreveport is in Louisiana. Southeast Arkansas is in Arkansas. Tyler is not the Deep South. It is the south but not the deep south. I said it was the south, several times. Just not the DEEP SOUTH.

Old 11-04-2023, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I’m not op and I don’t know how to define “southwestern” but to me there is a big difference between the Deep South of rural Mississippi and Alabama and Tyler, Texas. I think Tyler is definitely southern but I wouldn’t call it the Deep South personally.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.