Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2023, 07:07 PM

92 posts, read 44,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And even with Houston included, the Asian population pales in comparison in Texas, compared to California. So what? The two states are quite different in many ways that have nothing to do with deep South vs. South.
They have everything to do with deep south vs south when one tries to use concentrations of blacks to qualify a region as not deep south vs deep south. Its the difference between a large area with a truly low black population like California vs an area with an ample black population that is just distributed across a large area like Texas (including East Texas).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 07:35 PM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
This sounds like an anecdotal sort of thing. I think that explains many of the postings on this thread. Those observations do not support the two-nations idea. There are regional differences but then there are people who simply can't see past their own preferred values and experiences when they encounter something new.

As mentioned, climate is responsible for some of the regional differences. Someone moving from a lush green environment to a desert will encounter vastly different values and regional differences. The residents (if they are smart) will conform to the demands of their environment. Another factor is history. If your local region's history only goes back about 200 years and you move to a place with 500 years of history, there is a lot longer period of tradition and good, or bad, experiences that will influence local values. Food and diet, agricultural practices, immigration history, diversity, proximity to seacoast or mountains -- all have an influence but not to the extent that there are different nations of people.

Two things are happening at the same time. Americans have become more mobile and move from region to region and have personal experiences or new insight or realization different from their own. There are also forces at work that tend to amplify the regional differences. Media sources, TV producers, and political parties or candidates/leaders gain some benefit from amplifying differences or stereotyping regional values or residents. On the whole, Americans are vastly the same with minor regional differences. Many of those differences are fading away.
I dunno. The building practices, the thought processes, it does seem…different. It’s not quite Canada here, but the difference is kinda like going to Canada from wherever. It’s more locked down, less freewheeling but also (to a point) more orderly. It does feel like a different country.

Old 11-18-2023, 11:24 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I dunno. The building practices, the thought processes, it does seem…different. It’s not quite Canada here, but the difference is kinda like going to Canada from wherever. It’s more locked down, less freewheeling but also (to a point) more orderly. It does feel like a different country.
I wonder whether these supposed differences are not actually regional in many cases but based on cities. Different cities in the same region seem quite different -- even in the same state. Are all the cities in Ohio similar? I know that St. Louis and Kansas City seem different. What about cities in Texas or Pennsylvania? Then imagine going from Jacksonville to Detroit or Dallas to Mobile.

If you go from a rural farming community in Missouri to one in Indiana or Texas or North Carolina there might be differences in the type of agriculture but not much more than that.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Speaking for Texans, there's a huge difference between Houston and Austin. Also, a huge difference between Cleveland and Dayton, Ohio Huge difference between Philly and Pittsburg.

I went to a rural high school in Georgia. I went back for my high school reunion a few years ago. I have lived in Texas for over 30 years. Both are southern states but they do differ. For instance, my husband was Texan through and through. When we got to where my high school reunion was taking place (outside of Atlanta), I said to him "You tell me what's missing as we drive through this area." It was COWS. In Texas there are cows everywhere. Not so in Georgia. He did get along well with my friends from high school but he was definitely Texan and they were definitely Georgian.

I have family and friends in Ohio and visited them a few years ago. My SIL lives in a very rural area outside of Dayton. Let me tell you something right now - the people are DIFFERENT up there. They are nice, friendly, kind hearted but very DIFFERENT.

I was a corporate trainer for many years and traveled across the US and spent a lot of time with new offices in every type of community and every size. People are different from region to region. They just are. That's OK, too.

One memory I have, that always makes me smile, is when I was helping a new office open in a small town in Minnesota. I was talking away, and thought "Wow, they are listening so well," but when I stopped talking, they said "Oh, please, keep on - we're listening to your accent!"

Old 11-19-2023, 10:47 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Speaking for Texans, there's a huge difference between Houston and Austin. Also, a huge difference between Cleveland and Dayton, Ohio Huge difference between Philly and Pittsburg.

I have family and friends in Ohio and visited them a few years ago. My SIL lives in a very rural area outside of Dayton. Let me tell you something right now - the people are DIFFERENT up there. They are nice, friendly, kind hearted but very DIFFERENT.

I was a corporate trainer for many years and traveled across the US and spent a lot of time with new offices in every type of community and every size. People are different from region to region. They just are. That's OK, too.
Yeah— I expect differences in regions but not to the degree that we are different nations. I moved from rural Missouri to New Mexico and there were major differences as you can imagine— even to the regional preference in style of craft beer. Food is very different and I sometimes crave my midwestern “home cooking”. But there are no significant difference in values or national identity or other measures of citizenship. People seem to value and vote for community progress more than in the Midwest (libraries & schools, for example.). History plays a huge part in the regional differences.

Old 11-20-2023, 10:56 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Oh, I believe I have and I also believe it doesn't matter one way or the other so I'm done. And I'm looking at current maps (which I posted) by the way.
You've done a terrible job so far and if you're relying on current maps than I guess Maryland/ Virginia/ Tenn/ and Arkansas are also Deep Southern states since they have majority Black counties according to the link you provided.

Old 11-21-2023, 08:28 AM

Whatever you say, dear.

Old 11-21-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
You've done a terrible job so far and if you're relying on current maps than I guess Maryland/ Virginia/ Tenn/ and Arkansas are also Deep Southern states since they have majority Black counties according to the link you provided.
No one is arguing about those. I'm merely pointing out that Texas is not a Deep South state, though you sure are fighting fiercely to have it included in the Deep South. I for one am done.

Old 11-21-2023, 09:39 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
No one is arguing about those. I'm merely pointing out that Texas is not a Deep South state, though you sure are fighting fiercely to have it included in the Deep South. I for one am done.
You’re fighting way too hard for it not to be included in the Deep South. I simply asked you to explain to me why it isn’t since this is a message board where people engage with one another and so far all your examples have been debunked. And instead of admitting you were wrong( Cowboy Churches exist in the Deep South too) you just ignore it, deflect and move the goal post. Btw if you’re done then please stop responding to my post.

Old 11-21-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
You’re fighting way too hard for it not to be included in the Deep South. I simply asked you to explain to me why it isn’t since this is a message board where people engage with one another and so far all your examples have been debunked. And instead of admitting you were wrong( Cowboy Churches exist in the Deep South too) you just ignore it, deflect and move the goal post. Btw if you’re done then please stop responding to my post.
I'm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.