Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2023, 04:43 PM

32,109 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here is a list of counties in the US that are majority African American.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
Here are some maps from 1900.

https://twitter.com/NathnJordn/statu...391362/photo/1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File...cent_Black.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 04:58 PM

Here's a quote from Jamie Foxx, an East Texas native.

Quote:
"I'm from Terrell, Texas, and being where I'm from, being from the deep south, I grew up around this. I have to commend Michael B. Jordan for doing a film like this.
https://www.cineworld.co.uk/static/e...ryan-stevenson

Old 11-29-2023, 05:08 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Here's a quote from Jamie Foxx, an East Texas native.

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/static/e...ryan-stevenson
Quote:
"I'm from Terrell, Texas, and being where I'm from, being from the deep south, I grew up around this. I have to commend Michael B. Jordan for doing a film like this.
It is funny. I don't think Terrell is in the part of Texas that is the "deep south"... now you can see it from there... but it isn't part of it.

Old 11-30-2023, 06:12 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire1 View Post
Whats crazy is that Im not interested in changing Kathryn's mind. Which is why Ive never claimed she is wrong. Because I recognize that she's entitled to her opinion..So I simply stated mine.

But apparently she cant even stand reading other statements that dont align with her own opinion, even if you respect her opinion separately from your own; which is just wild to me lol

But anywho, its interesting that you mentioned returning to the Longview/Marshall area. I went back to the area myself about a year ago, and lo & behold, I see a sign advertising clear as day the nectar of the gods themselves: boiled peanuts. Not that I ever used that as a criteria for defining the deep south region in the first place -- Especially since I've also seen roadside advertisements for boiled peanuts in North Carolina & Tennessee...Neither of which are typically considered deep south regions themselves.

But I thought to myself, welp that puts that debate to rest. Then, I thought to myself "Nah, the goalpost will just be moved to something else now".. so yeah, I guess we've moved on to muscadines, or some such, as the new qualifier now, right? Lol
Lol, spot on and while I don't think boiled peanuts is nearly a thing in East Texas like it is in other parts of the south I do remember it being more around when I was a kid. Even remember it being sold on the side of the highway in between Hallsville and Marshall (hwy. 80) back in the 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Good find, East Texas more specifically the area considered Ark-La-Tex looks pretty indistinguishable from other parts considered the "deep south". Like I said recently East Texas lost a lot of Black people due to hubs like DFW and Houston plus the Great Migration to other parts of the country mainly in the West and Midwest. I'm a prime example of moving out of East Texas for the bigger cities in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It is funny. I don't think Terrell is in the part of Texas that is the "deep south"... now you can see it from there... but it isn't part of it.
Yeah I think Terrell is on the cusp. DFW has too much pull for it to be considered like other parts of East Texas. But I'm pretty sure when Jamie was living in Terrell it was still distinct enough to stand on it's own before DFW start expanding further and further that direction.

Old 11-30-2023, 08:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The self proclaimed Queen of the Deep South Kathryn will just continue to move the goal post no matter what you say. I mean she said was done several post ago yet she can't resist the urge to keep responding.

Her resistance to accepting one's opinion surrounding this topic is a clear sign of Narcissism of small differences. I mean now she's using how many cows they see in Georgia and comparison to East Texas to measure what's deep south and what isn't. Childishly comical at this point.
Oh brother. Like I said, it's cumulative. East Texas is southern but it's not the Deep South.

Old 11-30-2023, 08:52 AM

1,350 posts, read 884,069 times
Quote:
Oh brother. Like I said, it's cumulative. East Texas is southern but it's not the Deep South.
Does the deep south start immediately after crossing the Louisiana border?

Old 11-30-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Does the deep south start immediately after crossing the Louisiana border?
You tell me. If it even matters.

Old 11-30-2023, 08:55 AM

There was already a poll on this in the Texas forum.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/texa...eep-south.html

It's a matter of opinion but most opinions point one way.

Old 11-30-2023, 08:59 AM

Well, that proves everything - a poll on City Data's Texas forum!

Old 11-30-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Well, that proves everything - a poll on City Data's Texas forum!
Is it fair to say that redlion is "fighting fiercly" to place it in the Deep South when the overwhelming majority of posters in the TX forum say it's in the Deep South?

I suppose another question is this: Why do you believe your opinion supersedes/carries more weight than those of other posters who have spent their entire lives in East Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.