Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 11:15 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Being from Miami I can tell you it has two distinct Black cultures.
There is the Black American culture in which many of them did come from nearby Southern states like Georgia. A lot of Black Americans in Miami are still culturally "Southern" in many aspects.
Then there is the Caribbean / South American Black culture which is completely different in every way shape and form.
That might be true now. Back in the day, say the 90s, the Caribbean Black culture of Miami assimilated hard into the Black American culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2023, 12:56 PM

1,345 posts, read 876,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That might be true now. Back in the day, say the 90s, the Caribbean Black culture of Miami assimilated hard into the Black American culture.
It still is that way from what I see. What makes Kodak Black any less southern than say DaBaby?

Old 11-30-2023, 03:58 PM

92 posts, read 44,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Is it fair to say that redlion is "fighting fiercly" to place it in the Deep South when the overwhelming majority of posters in the TX forum say it's in the Deep South?

I suppose another question is this: Why do you believe your opinion supersedes/carries more weight than those of other posters who have spent their entire lives in East Texas?
I think the answer has something to do with her also having lived in the eastern part of the Deep South a number of years, as well as having lived in East Texas -- much like other posters such as myself from East Texas, who have lived in both places as well, but realize that parts of East Texas are definitely both southern and the Deep South.

Last edited by soletaire1; 11-30-2023 at 04:34 PM..

Old 11-30-2023, 04:26 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Maybe those Texans who voted in the poll never actually experienced life in the deep south so can't reliably judge. They might identify as being deep south out of some misconception. There are elements of the south, and maybe even the deep south, but the Texasness overwhelms the southerness in many ways. I am surrounded by former Texas people, mostly natives, and they do not seem to be southern. I have a friend from Indiana who seems more southern. Of course this whole conversation assumes that there still is a deep south that hasn't just shriveled up into isolated lesser parts.

Old 11-30-2023, 04:39 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Maybe those Texans who voted in the poll never actually experienced life in the deep south so can't reliably judge. They might identify as being deep south out of some misconception. There are elements of the south, and maybe even the deep south, but the Texasness overwhelms the southerness in many ways. I am surrounded by former Texas people, mostly natives, and they do not seem to be southern. I have a friend from Indiana who seems more southern. Of course this whole conversation assumes that there still is a deep south that hasn't just shriveled up into isolated lesser parts.
It would be interesting to see how many of your Texan friends in NM were from east Texas.

To me this is pretty simple. If Shreveport is in the deep south... then so is Marshall, and Longview and other places that are in it's sphere of influence. Anybody who can get to the Louisiana line within an hour is still in the deep south. If you parachuted someone into that area or into western Louisiana... they really couldn't tell the difference. (Houston excluded of course)... but if Jasper, Tx isn't deep south... they need to change it's name.

Old 11-30-2023, 05:10 PM

1,345 posts, read 876,112 times
Almost everyone I speak to from TX has a southern accent.

Old 11-30-2023, 05:25 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Maybe those Texans who voted in the poll never actually experienced life in the deep south so can't reliably judge. They might identify as being deep south out of some misconception.
Not sure where Lady Bird Johnson lived, but if this quote is accurate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
This subject -- or variations on it -- are going to haunt us forever! Never dies and never goes away! Oh well... LOL

Yes, it is. Of course, that is only my opinion, but shared by many. And just as naturally, disagreed with by some others.

In an interview with Texas Montly magzine some years back, Lady Bird Johnson said it pretty well:

"The part of Texas I grew up in (in Karnack, about 15 miles east of Marshall), was no different from Louisiana, Mississippi, or Alabama..."

Old 12-01-2023, 06:17 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:

I see your location says high desert so I'm going to assume you live somewhere out West. Not many East Texans live out west to begin with. Not many make it past Fort Worth to relocate honestly. If you catch many past Fort Worth it's to work on the oil fields in West Texas. Honestly most people outside of Texas never heard of East Texas to begin with so I doubt these Texans you encounter were from the area I grew up in.

Quote:
Not sure where Lady Bird Johnson lived, but if this quote is accurate...
Yeah Lady Bird Johnson grew up outside of Marshall and she literally grew up on a plantation in Karnack.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Is it fair to say that redlion is "fighting fiercly" to place it in the Deep South when the overwhelming majority of posters in the TX forum say it's in the Deep South?

I suppose another question is this: Why do you believe your opinion supersedes/carries more weight than those of other posters who have spent their entire lives in East Texas?
I don't think my opinion supersedes or carries more weight than anyone else's but I have lived in the Deep South for many years and I've lived in Texas for 33 years. That's all I'm saying.

Oh and I'm saying something else too: I don't think that a poll on City Data is all that scientific.

Old 12-01-2023, 11:15 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
It still is that way from what I see. What makes Kodak Black any less southern than say DaBaby?
Right. People are just kidding themselves if they think there two separate cultures in every shape form and way.

Northern and Southern Cultures are two different nations, obviously. There are differenes but nothign tht cant be hashed out in Delaware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.