Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 07:15 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Dude! 1860's?????? Do you realize how long ago that was? Nobody alive now was around during the Civil War. Nobody! It's over! It ended! It's done! Finished! History! Wake up. Southerners and northerners get along great! They are friends. There are plenty of southerners in the government you hate. Some of them are more leftest then many northerners. We are all mixed in among each other. It works fine! Wake up!
Your replies are always half baked.

I really don't care that a tiny minority of Southerners work for the federal government. Leftist Southerners are a tiny minority that wield very little influence in Dixie whereas they control New England.

Again, I don't see what the year has to do with it. I'm not discussing the Civil War. I'm addressing the fact that Dixie is under the control of a leftist government, a government that conflicts with most Southerners, and Southerners apparently aren't allowed to do anything about it despite it being our right to do something about it. If Southerners wish to do anything about it, Yankees bring up the Civil War happening 150 years ago and to "get over it." If anything, there is more reason to secede now than ever before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 09:22 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
I'm addressing the fact that Dixie is under the control of a leftist government, a government that conflicts with most Southerners, and Southerners apparently aren't allowed to do anything about it despite it being our right to do something about it. If Southerners wish to do anything about it, Yankees bring up the Civil War happening 150 years ago and to "get over it." If anything, there is more reason to secede now than ever before.
I don't see how secession would benefit the South in any conceivable way in the year 2015. Most Southern states are dependent on federal funds to survive and take in a disproportionate amount of federal tax dollars at the expense of high income, prosperous states that give more than they get back such as Colorado, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and California.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:36 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
The Civil War was largely a battle over two similar civilizations: one rooted at Jamestown and one rooted at Plymouth. I liken it to Athens vs Sparta. Lots of similarities but also significant differences. I think regional differences are lessening with mass media but there will also be some as well.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I don't see how secession would benefit the South in any conceivable way in the year 2015. Most Southern states are dependent on federal funds to survive and take in a disproportionate amount of federal tax dollars at the expense of high income, prosperous states that give more than they get back such as Colorado, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and California.
Most Southern states are not run in the manner Southern nationalists would run them by any stretch. Southern states are currently under Republican leadership, who while a lesser evil than Democrats, do not serve Southern interests.

You must also note the large black population in Dixie. Mississippi is nearly 40% black, Massachusetts is 8% black. The white poverty rate in Mississippi is 11%. The white poverty rate in California is 11%. The white poverty rate in Massachusetts is 9%. The white poverty rate in Maine is 11%.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:37 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
Quote:
The occupation of Dixie by an illegitimate government is something that shouldn't be ignored. Secession is not a matter that is limited to a year. It's no secret that Southerners are mocked for the fact that they do not applaud pompous Yankees and their leftist ideology. If there is any grudge, which there is, it's because Yankees created it.
Wow, this is the most out there post I have seen on CD in a while... Out of curiosity, from your perspective are Kansan's Yankees? I've been trying to figure that out for a while. Luckily the amount of people who believe in your Dixie crap are getting smaller every day. When the Civil War started my family lived in the South, and immediately moved to Wisconsin, where they joined the Union Army. So that makes them Yankees in your opinion right, even though they had lived in the South for over 100 years?

Old 10-14-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Wow, this is the most out there post I have seen on CD in a while... Out of curiosity, from your perspective are Kansan's Yankees? I've been trying to figure that out for a while.
Kansas is not a part of Dixie. That's all that needs to be said. It's up to them to decide what to do with themselves.

Quote:
Luckily the amount of people who believe in your Dixie crap are getting smaller every day. When the Civil War started my family lived in the South, and immediately moved to Wisconsin, where they joined the Union Army. So that makes them Yankees in your opinion right, even though they had lived in the South for over 100 years?
Support for secession is growing. 60% of Southerners would like Scotland to secede from Great Britain, 40% would like it to remain. There is no telling how many of these "Southerners" were actually Yankees living in Southern metro areas such as Atlanta, Charlotte, or the state of Florida. But if they have this opinion on Great Britain, the percent who would like Dixie to secede would be greater. Furthermore, according to a survey conducted by the ORC, we do not appear to be dying off. In fact, 4% more Americans between the ages of 35-49 sympathize with the Confederacy than those who are 65+.

As for your scalawag ancestors, I would hope they, along with yourself, never stepped foot in Dixie again.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-14-2015 at 06:52 PM..

Old 10-15-2015, 05:33 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
An interesting way to look at things? So, since your randomly chosen number of people in the US south (60%) want Scotland to be separate from Great Britain (?????????????????????????), you feel a larger percentage want the United States south to seperate from the rest of the USA?

Here is a stupid question? So, what gets done with the VERY LARGE percentage of people in the US south that don't share your views. Obviousely, they must be all yankees as southerners would not be like them.? So what gets done with them?

Old 10-15-2015, 05:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I'm American first, Southern second, and a Texan third. I was born and raised in the south (with the exception of about five out of my eighteen childhood years) and I love this region. But I would never go so far as to say that Southerners are culturally a different NATION than Americans from other regions. In fact, most native southerners I know are very patriotic Americans. AMERICANS.

Sure, we have some cultural differences from other regions - and they do too. And I like it that way. When I visit the northwest or northeast, I WANT it to be different in some ways from what I'm accustomed to, and I enjoy most of the differences during my vacations or business trips.

It's all good.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:59 AM

Any self proclaimed conservative who opposes state independence is not really a conservative. By far, the most leftist areas of the South have the most Yankees. The most Southern areas are full of American nationalists. These Southrons who do not share my views for Southern nationalism at the moment could be swayed if they were more aware of it.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-15-2015 at 06:33 AM..

Old 10-15-2015, 06:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
In the US's case, any self proclaimed conservative who opposes state independence is not really a conservative. By far, the most leftist areas of the South have the most Yankees. The most Southern areas are full of American nationalists. These Southrons who do not share my views for Southern nationalism at the moment could be swayed if they were more aware of it.
I live in Texas and have for 25 years. I'm well aware of the arguments for and against secession.

I'm southern to the very bone and pretty conservative fiscally (socially I'm more libertarian than conservative). My ancestors have lived in the South since moving to Jamestown, VA in the 1600s. I just don't agree with much of what you've posted here about the South. And to me - that's OK. I don't have to agree with you to respect your right to your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.