Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:15 AM

6 posts, read 8,765 times

Advertisements

I do not like where I live.

I live in Pullman, WA right now. I don't like how remote this place is, and how little there is to do here. It's such a small place with nothing going on and it takes over an hour just to get to a mid-sized city in Spokane (which is a city I don't like). It costs me so much more to travel and I just am so isolated and alone and it's hard to meet people here and on top of it, the lack of things to do just makes me feel depressed.

I plan on moving ASAP to wherever I get a job. Hopefully the LA area, or the Willamette Valley or Pennsylvania/Upstate NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 12:20 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYoutWest View Post
I do not like where I live.

I live in Pullman, WA right now. I don't like how remote this place is, and how little there is to do here. It's such a small place with nothing going on and it takes over an hour just to get to a mid-sized city in Spokane (which is a city I don't like). It costs me so much more to travel and I just am so isolated and alone and it's hard to meet people here and on top of it, the lack of things to do just makes me feel depressed.

I plan on moving ASAP to wherever I get a job. Hopefully the LA area, or the Willamette Valley or Pennsylvania/Upstate NY.
I personally despise the Palouse too (something about those hills does me in mentally), and could never envision myself living there, even if it were the last place on earth. That's just about the only place in the world I feel that way about (that I've been to).

I love Spokane though!

Old 06-10-2014, 06:00 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAOrganicFarmWannabe View Post
I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to get a group that wants to relocate, especially to Florida or California. Those are the areas I'm open to and have been researching. If interested, send me a private message. Due to eyestrain my computer time is severely restricted so your patience is appreciated.
If your user name is any indication of personal interest or profession I would say avoid Florida. There is little interest in organic food here or farm-to-table restaurants like much of the rest of the country. California or the Carolinas where you are now is much more conducive to that lifestyle.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:25 AM

279 posts, read 461,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
I live in Dallas and dislike it. The weather (I hate the heat, love winter and love snow), the scenery, the culture and attitudes of people (fake, pretentious, cliquey, overly religious) are things that don't really appeal to me that much. It's great if you're coming from a high COL area and want a decent sized house in a good school district, but it doesn't offer much for me. Materialism, image-consciousness and consumerism are king here, which is a big turn off for me.

I am moving in the spring, it's pretty much all guaranteed. The money is set aside, I'd just need to secure an apartment/house for rent and a job, but there's plenty of time for that.

I would imagine that, if you're an atheist as you say you are underneath your username, that would be your biggest complaint about the DFW area. Or is that more of a minor concern for you compared to the other stuff?

Old 06-11-2014, 09:59 AM

933 posts, read 1,533,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wine View Post
I would imagine that, if you're an atheist as you say you are underneath your username, that would be your biggest complaint about the DFW area. Or is that more of a minor concern for you compared to the other stuff?
More of a minor concern.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,479 times
I live out in Flagstaff, AZ, and I can't stand it here. First off, and the greatest reason I don't like it here, is the local economy. Flagstaff is known for being both a college town and a tourist trap, and so the vast majority of the jobs in the area are in either retail or hospitality. Unless you've already got a job secured with the college, the hospital, the city, or one of the 4 major companies in the area, I would highly advise against moving here, unless you're satisfied with working in customer service the whole time you're here. In addition, because of the topography of the area and the relatively large numbers of nature conservationists in the area, the city has limited options for expansion, and therefore, the price of housing has become astronomical. Average home price is around $300k, while average wage comes in at around $10/hour. Apartments are just as bad, with 1 bedrooms starting at around $850/month. It has lead to a lot of overcrowding, with as many as 10 people sharing a single house, and many families stuck living in motels because they can't afford to put up the "first month, last month, and deposit" that has become synonymous with the area, and nor can they save to afford to move somewhere more affordable. Second would definitely have to be the weather out here. The winters are bitterly cold and long, with the first snow typically beginning in October and the last one usually in May. The summers are usually pleasant, staying below triple-digits, however are usually short, due to the monsoons that initiate the cool down back into winter. Unfortunately, because of the duration of the summers, most residences do not have air conditioning, which can make for very uncomfortable temperatures inside homes when the temps break the 90s. Third would definitely have to be the locals. For the most part, a lot of the locals will not hear of the town being spoken ill of, and will be quick to antagonize anyone who isn't "from" Flagstaff. Also, due to the "college town" influence, the downtown area is just bar after bar, leading to a lot of public drunkenness, street harassment, and even sexual assaults. For the most part, it seems as if the city has a "drunks will be drunks" attitude, and tends to just be accepting of the fact that school children are often harassed by these drunks that pass out along sidewalks, coupled with frozen dead bodies of individuals who get drunk and pass out during the dead of winter. Unfortunately, as this town has a lack of significant entertainment outlets, there is a large number of drug users, especially meth, that circulates through here. It's not too uncommon of a sight to see used drug needles in public restrooms, and has forced a lot of businesses to keep their bathrooms under lock and key. It's quite sad that I find myself looking to move to Phoenix, not because I want to be there, but because, as it is for so many, the nearest exit.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:45 PM

268 posts, read 430,643 times
Ugh, Phoenix sucks. I live in Mesa and am moving in the next couple years. Dry heat and dust and brown, I'm over it. I'm one of those people who really craves the ocean, and so that's the biggest issue for me here.

My husband and I are thinking of moving to California, but I've recently become obsessed with Charleston, SC. It seems to offer a great quality of life and lots of greenery.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:38 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaFriday View Post
Ugh, Phoenix sucks. I live in Mesa and am moving in the next couple years. Dry heat and dust and brown, I'm over it. I'm one of those people who really craves the ocean, and so that's the biggest issue for me here.

My husband and I are thinking of moving to California, but I've recently become obsessed with Charleston, SC. It seems to offer a great quality of life and lots of greenery.
You're the opposite of me. Love Phoenix with its beautiful desert scenery, dry heat, and good traffic. Generally dislike the East coast for the intense humidity. I also like open views of the horizon and the dense tree canopy out east blocks that view. I grew up 5 hours from Galveston, so moving to Phoenix will not be tough, as I'm used to being far from the ocean, and I'll be 4 hours from Rocky Point and 6 hours from San Diego.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:58 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
I have lived in Houston all 30 years of my life and I frequently think about moving. I hate the horrible heat and humidity that lasts a good 8 months out of the year, the stop and go traffic, the pollution, the lack of natural beauty, the suburban sprawl with endless strip malls and cookie cutter subdivisions in every direction, the dumb rednecks with their gigantic pickups that drive like complete a**holes on the freeways, and just the general boring nature of the city. On the weekend, you can go to a bar, the mall, a restaurant, and go see a movie. You sure aren't doing anything outside for most of the year. We have a beach in Galveston, but the water is muddy and disgusting.

As far as places I'd like to move, well I was thinking about the Seattle area as it is in my opinion the most beautiful part of the U.S. I love the mountains and I enjoy outdoor activities, especially hiking. The high COL is a negative though and the people are a bit too liberal and far out for my taste. Also, I'm not much of a big city person. If I move to that area, it will probably be to a smaller city like Bellingham.

Another option I've considered is somewhere in the Midwest, probably Iowa, Minnesota, or Nebraska. I have been to that region several times and it amazes me how most of the people act like they haven't met a stranger. They are very down to Earth and are MUCH friendlier and nicer than the people in Houston. Also, I don't get a fake or materialistic vibe from them. The air is very clean there and the land is very fertile and green. Downside would be the hard winters.

Last edited by statisticsnerd; 09-19-2014 at 07:09 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 09:39 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
I have mixed feelings about where I currently live. I am living in a very small town halfway between Spokane, WA and the Canadian border. My family and I moved here from Seattle 15 months ago to take care of my wife's parents, who are in bad health. I love the region. I have no desire to ever leave Washington, but small town Eastern WA is a whole different world from Seattle. It's not horrible. It's still quite gorgeous over here and there is more of a "4 season" climate than there is on the coast, but it's too conservative for my comfort and the economy is pretty bad over here. Don't get me wrong, the people are quite friendly, but it has been very hard for me to establish any kind of meaningful friendship with anybody in this town. It's much more affordable on this side of the state, but the jobs pay much less. I have no idea how long we'll stay here, but we do plan on eventually moving back to Seattle... where I truly feel we belong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.