Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:14 AM

7,971 posts, read 10,539,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Maryland.
Not where cost of living is concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 05:54 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,769,857 times
Greenfield IN.

Home of

James Whitcome Riley Riley Bio

Olympian Gold Medalist Jaycie Phelps. Jaycie Phelps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Main Street US Historic Highway 40 Richmond / Wayne County, Indiana.

Site of File:Lilly Biological Laboratories at Greenfield.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very typical of the 3 or 4 small towns in the Midwest I have lived in but Greenfield has more nationally relevant historical characteristics and it shows. When I drive through the countryside of Hancock county Im always running into historical markers going back to before IN was even a state

Old 07-28-2013, 07:22 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,692,342 times
The most anytown state to me would defintely be New Jersey. Most Americans live car-centric lives in the suburbs of larger cities, and you dont get much more subruban than NJ, sandwiched between Philly and NYC.

NJ is also diverse in a way that a lot of states are not--demographically, economically, and geographically, with beaches, (low)mountatins, (some) farmland, small towns, and smaller cities like Trenton, Newark, New Brunswick and the like. Not the world-class cities, but the smal amd medium size ones with a smattering of city amenities and city problems that most Americans tend to deal with. NJ is also pretty moderate politically, with a Red governor in a Blue state. Which to me is essentialy what most Americans are willing to put up with (see our divided federal government).

The Northeast often gets a rap for being out of touch or too unlike the rest of the country and its simply not true. I also second the poster who called Maryland, which in many ways is similar to NJ as pretty representative of the nation and full of Anytown places for many of the reasons cited above

Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 PM

12 posts, read 23,076 times
Hard to say... I believe every area of the United States has a slightly different look and feel about it. Just about every city has outlet malls and expansive suburbs these days.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:16 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,468,226 times
Midwestern states get this award. Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa, SD, ND, Oklahoma possibly. Indiana and Illinois are also possibilities.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo freak View Post
Midwestern states get this award. Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa, SD, ND, Oklahoma possibly. Indiana and Illinois are also possibilities.
Disagree. All of the Plains states are demographic outliers and anomalies and don't even remotely represent a typical or average place that the vast majority of Americans live in today. This is true for many low population and low population density states that are inherently very rural. Only 10-15% of the total population in the US lives in rural counties. The average population density for the entire US is about 80 people per square mile. All of the Central Plains and Northern Plains states have population densities in the 6-35 people per square mile range.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:05 PM

607 posts, read 1,363,106 times
Maryland, Missouri, and arguably Indiana or Illinois.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:42 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,209,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
Lol no. But I can tell you that almost everyone will agree that:

1. It isn't Texas
2. It isn't California
3. It isn't the PNW
4. It isn't the West
5. It isn't the South
6. It isn't Florida
7. It isn't New York
8. It isn't Bos-Wash
9. It isn't New England
10. It isn't Michigan
11. It isn't Minnesota
12. It isn't Illinois
13. It isn't the Dakotas

Which leaves Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, and Ohio. Not because they're completely bland, but because those other states have identifiable qualities that make them stick out.
lol, I can see someone doesn't travel all that much. Almost all of these places are bland outside the major cities. What identifiable qualities are you referring to? The scenery? The cities?

You put Illinois and Minnesota on there which tells me you've either never been to either or you didn't venture outside of Chicago or the Twin Cities. Minnesota at least has some nice scenery but, almost the entire state of Illinois is about as bland as a state can get (no offense to my neighbors to the west).

Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
"Anytown, America" is not a phrase that refers to places that best represent America and all of its parts. It's used to describe the most bland, featureless places that seem to offer almost nothing that might make them distinct. Think of a place that you would have trouble guessing where it is.

The best answer I've heard so far is Missouri. I'd also add Indiana to that. Midwestern locales tend to be the best candidates.

Agree. I imagine a smallish town in Ohio, but they could be anywhere.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:05 PM

733 posts, read 933,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
"Anytown, America" is not a phrase that refers to places that best represent America and all of its parts. It's used to describe the most bland, featureless places that seem to offer almost nothing that might make them distinct. Think of a place that you would have trouble guessing where it is.

The best answer I've heard so far is Missouri. I'd also add Indiana to that. Midwestern locales tend to be the best candidates.
He said one that would make the best microsm for America, he didn't specify bland or featureless and America isn't bland and featureless. California makes a good case because of the diversity of the state as a whole, also about 1/8 of Americans live there, Texas isn't a bad case to make, has less diversity generally than California. I think the city that makes the best microsm of America in Chicago, last poll said the plurality agreed with me, and Illinois is a better candidate ethnically for a microsm than either California or Texas, but it doesn't really have the diversity of environments either that they do.

I'm leaning towards either Illinois or California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.