Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:47 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times

Advertisements

It seems like every few days on C-D another "Which is World Class" thread is up and I don't understand the obsession. There is world class cities all over the world struggling. Athens, Barcelona, Madrid, Rio, Mumbai, etc, all cities that have significant problems though many wish our cities would strive towards there "excellence". Now I will admit i'm not the world's most traveled individual (I'm just a young adult) but I have talk to enough foreigners and exchange students to know that the american culture maybe the most sawed after culture in the world. When a lot of us look at cities around the world we see the History, glitz, and glamour, but for a lot of places that's only skin deep. Extreme poverty, economic collapses, corruption, violence, poor government services, etc happen all around the world but we always consider those places a tier ahead of most of American and Canadian cities (obviously with exceptions of New York and a few others). Just looking for some opinions. Why do you think we try so hard to make a lot of our already amazing cities "World Class" when they already have so much more to offer then a lot of other cities world wide can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:53 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Right! People one here make it seem like you HAVE to live in a world class city to be happy or to have a good time.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:59 PM

542 posts, read 1,683,138 times
Most of the "World Class" cities are in Australia, and Finland

Old 07-26-2013, 09:06 PM

309 posts, read 759,807 times
Because people are insecure and it makes them feel better if they live in a World Class city even though it should not matter and nobody really and honestly gives a crap. So basically it's just a bunch of insecure BS.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:32 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
While there are problems everywhere, the world class cities have tremendous assets that other cities can only dream about. Places like NYC, London, Hong Kong, Mumbai, etc., are centers of intellectual and business talent, repositories of the arts, entertainment production centers, transportation hubs, and wield outsize political influence in their nations. That combination won't be attractive for everyone, but it's not too hard to understand why it's attractive to a whole lot.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
I've never met this "we" person.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:53 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Um. I don't know. I have never cared or even understood the basis of those conversations.
What possible difference could it make?

Old 07-27-2013, 04:50 AM

401 posts, read 649,701 times
Athens is not world class

Old 07-27-2013, 05:24 AM

672 posts, read 757,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Most of the "World Class" cities are in Australia, and Finland
Where??

Anyway, 'World Class' is meaningless. (Tangentially, so is a city's GDP -- another club that gets waved around in these parts.)

I'm a native resident of a supposed World City. What an effing joke. A pretty harbour, a tiny urban core and a sahara of horrific suburbia stretching into infinity. Tiny, tiny patches of actual nightlife that won't evaporate at 12. God forbid we don't get up in time to pay our bubble-buoyed mortgages. And the biggest indictment: a city of employees, not creators.

When I look for a city, I want:

- Commercial and social activity around the clock.
- Density, density, density
- A culture that sparks and pressure-cooks creativity
- A culture of entrepaneurship
- Fine architecture and careful curation of public space
- A drive to keep up the supply of housing in the urban core, which is seen as a basic necessity, not the du jour means of wealth creation. (A city needs poor people amongst the rich, and lots of them.)

The 'World Class' tag means nothing to me.

Last edited by compactspace; 07-27-2013 at 05:36 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 08:21 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
World class is code for what city is most like Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.