U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:31 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,891,123 times

Advertisements

Throw the Twin Cities in there with Seattle and Portland. People can be super nerdy at times there (also super cool, so the spectrum seems larger there than other places I've lived).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 01:32 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,891,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Seattle and Portland = Nerd capital of the US

New Orleans and Atlanta = Not so much
Is this a black vs. white thing? Couldn't help but notice the correlation.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:36 PM

567 posts, read 986,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
I don't think the term 'nerd' needs to be defined. Watch an episode of Big Bang Theory and you will see what a nerd is like. A socially awkward know it all that's into Comic-Con related material coupled with STEM related fields.
There's quirky and then there's socially awkward. And then there's levels beyond that.

Like, someone with Asperger's in a very real way, not in the cute faux way.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:06 PM

43 posts, read 64,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Seattle and Portland = Nerd capital of the US

New Orleans and Atlanta = Not so much
Actually you are partially correct and partially wrong. Seattle and Portland are very "nerdy" cities. But, when you say Atlanta is not so "nerdy" you may be surprised that it is quite the nerdy city. It has even been named "The Nerdiest City."
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-04-2013 at 07:08 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 11:14 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 11,495,728 times
Next up on the Demographics: Nerds.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:18 PM

16,426 posts, read 17,368,835 times
Most - San Jose, Sunnyvale, Seattle
Least - Los Angeles

Old 08-05-2014, 03:05 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,701,986 times
When I lived in Portland during the mid-90's, the tv market had the highest ratings nationwide for Star Trek.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:33 PM

2,343 posts, read 3,007,095 times
So, someone who works in the tech industry is automatically a "nerd" by default? I always thought "nerd" meant a socially awkward person. I know plenty of people who are well above average intelligence, good at math, and/or heavily into sci-fi that definitely aren't nerds. By that same token, I have met plenty of actual nerds who prefer sports over sci-fi and had C averages in school. I also know people who work in tech that are just regular people who don't fit in either category. "Nerd" seems to be another one of those words/terms that has lost it's meaning in recent times.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:15 AM

35,937 posts, read 35,912,306 times
I technically live in a city of about 30,000 although it has so much land area the population density is extremely low and if you visited, you would never think to call it a city. We have our own schools, fire, police, hospital and utilities separate from the county.

Our nerd credentials are a lot of PhD scientists working and retired: government and related contractor businesses, national and international. We have a national lab, a science museum, and nukes for such a relatively small city. Even the science section of my retiree program has offered science classes like this coming Fall semester offerings on DNA Sequencing Technologies and Their Impact on Molecular Biology, Using Neutrons to Understand the Universe, New Developments in Isotopes and Synthetic Biology and Biofuels Production. That's not typical retiree learning program fare in the rest of the country but we have the people here who want to teach it (unpaid) and nerd (and I mean that admirably) retirees who are interested in taking these kind of classes.

I've never seen nerd statistics.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:36 PM

12,769 posts, read 20,432,111 times
My two cities:
Raleigh - Nerd
Miami - Not Nerd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.