U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 07:37 AM

9,011 posts, read 8,915,934 times

Advertisements

I'm kinda liking Raleigh being thrown in here....
A friend of mine is scoping out properties there-
I told him I'd definitely be interested.....
Raleigh's looking better & better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 09:11 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,304,116 times
Most: Silicon Valley, Seattle/Redmond

Least: Indianola, Miss

Old 07-23-2015, 09:37 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,821,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I'm kinda liking Raleigh being thrown in here....
A friend of mine is scoping out properties there-
I told him I'd definitely be interested.....
Raleigh's looking better & better.
just live downtown raleigh, its nerd hipster city and very green. The greenest dowtwn I have ever seen, tons of trees starting at the five points area and all the way downtown. white kids with beards on bikes at 2 am, tons of bars,restaurants,craft beer places and condos and housing everywhere, tech company red hat has big presence downtown and citrix. the research triangle area is the fopurth most educated area in the country I have read in us news. Trees, trees, and PhDs I like beach areas but its a very cool and up and coming area, just live in the right neighborhood like oakwood or boylan heights

Or down the road in chapel hill, every college town is filled with nerds galore I would definitely recommend asheville too if you like that state of north carolina

Last edited by floridanative10; 07-23-2015 at 09:45 PM..

Old 07-23-2015, 11:17 PM

616 posts, read 549,159 times
in Portland they are called hipsters

Old 06-28-2019, 08:49 PM

7,444 posts, read 9,180,603 times
Needs are engineers or people with hard skills like math and science. Houston, Seattle and silicon valley are nerdy . LA and DC are least nerdy. Movies and politics are not strong math and science.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:15 PM

1,869 posts, read 824,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Needs are engineers or people with hard skills like math and science. Houston, Seattle and silicon valley are nerdy . LA and DC are least nerdy. Movies and politics are not strong math and science.
The Bay Area is number 1, followed by a tie between Boston and Seattle. I don’t know that Portland is actually that nerdy - a lot of hipsters, hippies, and townies but not as nerdy as some may expect.

For least nerdy Id say San Diego (even with Comic-con), Philly, and Las Vegas.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:14 PM

9,147 posts, read 13,487,952 times
Seattle, San Francisco, and Boston probably have a lot of nerds. Statewide California actually has a lot of nerds, a lot of the Asian American subculture there is nerdy and being of Asian descent I'm allowed to say that

I'd say the least nerdy states are probably West Virginia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Alaska, Wyoming, North Dakota, and Montana.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:36 PM

3,153 posts, read 1,596,977 times
I get a little uncomfortable when we try to rank different parts of the country on traits that are very subjective, or at least hard to measure.

I like the suggestion, though, that STEM employment is associated with nerdiness. This map shows major US metros by percentage of employment in STEM. As you might expect, this factor is highest on the West Coast and in the non-border Texas cities, and lowest throughout much of the Midwest and South and the Central Valley.

Interestingly, Detroit has been named by many people here as a quintessentially non-nerdy city yet ranks near the top, even higher than Madison and Minneapolis.

https://insights.dice.com/2015/02/09...stem-jobs/amp/

Old 06-29-2019, 01:26 AM

9,147 posts, read 13,487,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I get a little uncomfortable when we try to rank different parts of the country on traits that are very subjective, or at least hard to measure.

I like the suggestion, though, that STEM employment is associated with nerdiness. This map shows major US metros by percentage of employment in STEM. As you might expect, this factor is highest on the West Coast and in the non-border Texas cities, and lowest throughout much of the Midwest and South and the Central Valley.

Interestingly, Detroit has been named by many people here as a quintessentially non-nerdy city yet ranks near the top, even higher than Madison and Minneapolis.

With Detroit because a lot of the engineering behind the automotive industry requires nerds, but the production aspects are quite the opposite. And with production mostly taking place in the South or abroad now with very little manufacturing left in Detroit this actually does make sense.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:31 AM

2,527 posts, read 1,475,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

I'm surprised there's a dark blue dot anywhere in Florida. Strikes me as one of the least "stem" states in the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.