U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 12:28 PM

3,467 posts, read 1,775,091 times

Advertisements

Interesting that Minneapolis, Milwaukee and Madison are ranked the same. The states that don't have a city ranked, don't have cities of medium population. Doesn't mean there aren't plenty of smart people there, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 12:33 PM

8,395 posts, read 4,752,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Needs are engineers or people with hard skills like math and science. Houston, Seattle and silicon valley are nerdy . LA and DC are least nerdy. Movies and politics are not strong math and science.
I would flip Houston and DC. Houston is not nerdy.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:42 PM

10,110 posts, read 5,452,047 times
Huntsville AL is one of the nerdiest

Old 06-29-2019, 09:40 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,476,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I would flip Houston and DC. Houston is not nerdy.
Yeah, the only "nerdy" city in Texas is Austin. Just because tech is big in Houston and Dallas IMO doesn't make those cities "nerdy".

Old 06-30-2019, 04:59 AM

2,992 posts, read 1,946,154 times
San Jose , most nerdy. Honolulu, least.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:32 PM

7,444 posts, read 9,182,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
The Bay Area is number 1, followed by a tie between Boston and Seattle. I don’t know that Portland is actually that nerdy - a lot of hipsters, hippies, and townies but not as nerdy as some may expect.

For least nerdy Id say San Diego (even with Comic-con), Philly, and Las Vegas.
Data is a good thing, I agree with the best metric is what percent of jobs in an area are STEM. The Bay area would be in deed number 1. I was surprised by Wichita being so high but should not have been. DC metro shocks me more as I think of STEM jobs there being in a support role of the big bloated fed gov not the producers of a product sold like the other locations. Austin and Houston are in deed high, DFW is not very high and I would agree it is least STEM focused of the big Texas cities. Detriots higher than I would have guessed based upon how much smaller the auto industry there is now vs historically. Great question and thread topic OP and thanks for the date. Portland? Nope lol

An observation about nerdiness. STEM employment captures the productive or nerdys who add value to society. Some definitions of nerds seems to capture those who do not add to or fit into productive society. Comicon? lol or just being socially awkward does not mean productive or non producitve, the job they hold tells the story to me not how they look or act.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 06-30-2019 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.