Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 02:49 AM

97 posts, read 160,135 times

Advertisements

I'll try to make this short and sweet. I grew up and still live in Phoenix, Arizona. With this comes pros and cons.

Pros: sunshine, perfect winters, easy drive to California and Mexico and the mountains (about 4-6 hours to all three), laidback people, not very much traffic and can easily be dodged, GREAT offroading, and beautiful sunsets.

Cons: have to drive at least twenty minutes to do anything (unless you live by ASU but not everyone wants to party nonstop, and gas prices are around mid $3 so it's kind of pricey), nothing to do besides drink or get sunburnt or trip on cacti, NO rain, and dust storms. Oh, did I mention the heat? Yeah, that sucks too.

I really want to leave Arizona but I haven't really had the opportunity to branch out here in the U.S. (for any extended period of time anyway.) Since I'm college-aged and single, I would like to move to a lively city since Phoenix is super sleepy. Part of this would be more outdoorsy stuff, since I love to kayak and be in the water, in the mountains, at the beach, etc. The other part would be more activities for a younger generation. Climate wise, I've only been in the snow twice so I don't know how I would fare here, but I'm assuming I'd do pretty okay. Lighter snow would be nice.

Also, I would prefer the area to be lower cost of living, since if I were to move to another city I wouldn't know a single soul so I couldn't do a roommate right away. That would limit my living options...

What do you folks think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 04:09 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy feet View Post
I'll try to make this short and sweet. I grew up and still live in Phoenix, Arizona. With this comes pros and cons.

Pros: sunshine, perfect winters, easy drive to California and Mexico and the mountains (about 4-6 hours to all three), laidback people, not very much traffic and can easily be dodged, GREAT offroading, and beautiful sunsets.

Cons: have to drive at least twenty minutes to do anything (unless you live by ASU but not everyone wants to party nonstop, and gas prices are around mid $3 so it's kind of pricey), nothing to do besides drink or get sunburnt or trip on cacti, NO rain, and dust storms. Oh, did I mention the heat? Yeah, that sucks too.

I really want to leave Arizona but I haven't really had the opportunity to branch out here in the U.S. (for any extended period of time anyway.) Since I'm college-aged and single, I would like to move to a lively city since Phoenix is super sleepy. Part of this would be more outdoorsy stuff, since I love to kayak and be in the water, in the mountains, at the beach, etc. The other part would be more activities for a younger generation. Climate wise, I've only been in the snow twice so I don't know how I would fare here, but I'm assuming I'd do pretty okay. Lighter snow would be nice.

Also, I would prefer the area to be lower cost of living, since if I were to move to another city I wouldn't know a single soul so I couldn't do a roommate right away. That would limit my living options...

What do you folks think?
Maybe look into Portland. Great Vibe, artsy, and growing urban core. 1 hour from beauty pacfic coastline and I think 2 hours from the mountains. If not portland look into Denver and Minneapolis!

Old 07-28-2013, 04:47 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Try to get your skill set/skills in place so you're marketable and can pick up and go where you want. With the way things are, everything starts from there. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:19 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times
Seattle, Portland, Denver, Minneapolis

All very similar and equally good choices with slightly different pros and cons.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:36 AM

245 posts, read 319,125 times
Quote:

What do you folks think?
You could check out Greenville South Carolina. Low cost of living, rarely snows in winter but does have some pretty bad ice storms, near some pristine lakes near the mountains compared to Lake Tahoe in Lake Keowee and Jocasee. Extremely nice downtown and park featuring a huge suspension pedestrian bridge over a waterfall. Near several whitewater rivers including the Chattooga, where the movie Deliverance was filmed and the Nantahala. Kayaking is done on both. You can be in the mountains in 45 minutes or so, Chimmey Rock / Lake Lure is a nice one in NC and Table Rock and Ceasar's Head in SC. There is also a nice little mountain state park right in Greenville called Paris Mountain. Greenville has a large mall and nice retail and restaurant options including some things you don't see in every town, like REI and Trader Joes.

You could also look at Summerville near Charleston SC, it will be more expensive than Greenville but it isn't that bad. Charleston probably has more young people due to several colleges including a big medical university and it has a vibrant historic downtown area. it is right near the beach. you could so sea kayaking there.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:14 PM

Thank you guys for your responses! I appreciate that you took the time to answer me

UpstateNancy- Thank you for the advice! I'm trying my best

MountainDew- I would have never guessed South Carolina! I'll look into that state some more.

A lot of you mentioned Portland and Seattle, which I was actually considering oddly enough. Considering Portland/Seattle are about the opposite of Phoenix, is the rain terrible (in the sense of it being continuous on average or heavy or light)? And with this, is the overcast bad or is it good enough to where the sun plays peek-a-boo during the day?

Also, you folks mentioned Minneapolis. Is it a similar (progressive) vibe like Seattle is that why you mentioned it? I'm curious.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:50 PM

101 posts, read 82,723 times
I am from Seattle. I love WA and everything it has to offer but the rain truely gets to you and being dark and grey sucks. I love having almost 4 seasons, but the rain gets old quick! I would recommend OR over Seattle although it is pretty much the same just my preference. I've never been to SC but def check it out! I think I will do the same! good luck!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:56 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times
Quote:
Also, you folks mentioned Minneapolis. Is it a similar (progressive) vibe like Seattle is that why you mentioned it? I'm curious.
It's exactly Seattle except it has lakes instead of mountains and sunny cold winters instead of grey rainy winters.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:55 PM

I'm not sure if I would like Minneapolis due to it's geography, since it's a bunch of lakes and pretty flat. So are the nearby areas.

I love the sunshine, really. Here the sun is pretty bright and that's when it's a nuisance because it's pretty blinding. It is also the cause of our extreme heat, because when we get an overcast or shade it feels about 20 degrees cooler. But my favorite season in Arizona is monsoon season, since that's the only time where Phoenix actually feels like a normal part of the planet. We get overcast, and our temperatures drop to about a hundred degrees, and it likes to rain heavily at night but at least it rains. Most of the time when Phoenix gets an overcast, it won't rain. It's like Mother Nature's sick joke to us.

Yeah, four seasons would be nice. I've only been in the snow twice and I've only seen the leaves change once. This would be life-changing for me.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:23 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Portland, Seattle, Austin, SF, Boston, Minneapolis, or Denver. Those are by far the best places to be right now and most of them fit most if not all of your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.